Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:46:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: A Newb to all things Pulp  (Read 8603 times)

Offline Molotov98989

• Bookworm
A Newb to all things Pulp
« on: September 14, 2015, 08:11:58 PM »
Well let's see if I can't figure this one out ;-)

Hello fellow pulp'ers! After years of lurking I've finally decided to bite the bullet and jump into the world of Pulp adventures. I'm a nineties kid, so I was fed a healthy dose of adventures like Indiana Jones and the Mummy films, and I've just started to scratch my itch for lost Egyptian tombs and acts of daring do.

So, without further ado, pictures!

I'm using photobucket, and this is my first post here so expect some mistakes and errors. Will hopefully get on a roll of posting to this thread with new models as my collection grows. I'll try not to post too many images, will see what the consensus on hyperlinks is, or if I should just link direct to the album.
Album link
http://s110.photobucket.com/user/gigalord/library/Pulp%20Action?sort=3&page=1

Here are my first two painted adventurers. Some NorthStar Africa models, easily usable as heroes or mercenaries and the like.
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n96/gigalord/Pulp%20Action/DSCN1106_zpsisnwtygh.jpg
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n96/gigalord/Pulp%20Action/DSCN1109_zpsbpwg65fv.jpg

And here's some furnishings I've been making out of Balsa wood. Nice and easy, and can be used when tables get thrown over in a bar brawl :-)

My website for commissions; jhminiatures.com

Offline marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
Re: A Newb to all things Pulp
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 08:28:07 PM »
Nice start!
LB
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 09:21:04 PM »
Get 'em, Pike!  ;) lol

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline warlord frod

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 10:04:30 PM »
Welcome to the wonderful gritty world of Pulp.  :) Great start. Very nice paint work are you going to leave the bases black or are you planning on dressing them up some?

Offline Molotov98989

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2015, 10:54:27 PM »
Welcome to the wonderful gritty world of Pulp.  :) Great start. Very nice paint work are you going to leave the bases black or are you planning on dressing them up some?

I plan to texture and paint up the bases ;-) I'm a "faces, bases, banners and shields" kind of guy, so getting all the details done and dusted.

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2015, 12:42:46 AM »
Very cool! I like your tables and chairs. THANKS for sharing.

Offline Valerik

• Mad Scientist
  • "...promiscuously brandishing a revolver..."
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2015, 02:40:05 AM »
"Well begun is half done!!"

& you've made a damn fine start!

I plan to texture and paint up the bases I'm a "faces, bases, banners and shields" kind of guy, so getting all the details done and dusted.

Getting started in Pulp let me offer the clear base option.

Look at any AAR by Wolf Girl of Pulp Alley or Chris Abbey of Sally4th to see what I mean.

I've switched to clear basing because Pulp takes you so many different places, all with varied terrain, jungle trails, desert wastelands, mountains & moons...
not to mention ON things like lorries, rooftops, rickety bridges, volcanoes, docks, decks, ships - air & otherwise...

NONE of which look right if your figures are dragging their own climate into the scenario...

Check out these threads:

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=74292.0

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=68144.0

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=71078.0

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=81956.0

Follow any of the DIY threads & discover it's faster, easier, & cheaper than flocking, looks better too!!

Valerik

"Sky Marshal plays his chess without consulting the pieces."
Robt. Heinlein

EDIT  My miserable spelling
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 02:42:31 AM by Valerik »
BGR

"Fart in the devil's face"
Martin Luther

Offline Jambo

• Assistant
    • Pulp Island
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2015, 04:13:22 AM »
Great start, I especially like the table and chairs you made.  I'm also a newb to pulp gaming and look forward to seeing where your journey takes you.

Offline warlord frod

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2015, 04:19:18 AM »
I would agree with Valerik about the clear bases. If I had not been collecting for so many years and already had a great deal of my stuff based I would have used clear bases. But changing everything over at this point would be more work then I would care for.

Offline Molotov98989

• Bookworm
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2015, 10:15:29 AM »

& you've made a damn fine start!

Getting started in Pulp let me offer the clear base option.

Well that's an interesting option ;-) I can't say I've considered clear bases before. I understand the arguments for and against it, will just have to get some and see how they take.

Thanks again for the warm welcome guys! I'll see about uploading some more photos later today. Cultists and wooden tables with pots and plants on them! :-D

Offline Molotov98989

• Bookworm
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2015, 07:24:59 PM »
Here's an update.

Cultists that I've been painting over the past few nights. Models are from the North Star Pulp sci-fi range (steampunk adventures? the name of the range escapes me at the moment) and are from the set "Servants of Ra" or some such ^^;

Painted for the most part in the standard scheme on the box cover. I didn't attempt to paint the pupils on these guys, just the whites. Gives them more of a possessed/crazed look. I've another 3 from the set to make, all with clubs, so by the end I should have 7 all told.
Album Link; http://s110.photobucket.com/user/gigalord/library/Pulp%20Action?sort=3&page=1

And here we have some tables covered in things ;-) Pretty much all made from beads and balsa wood tables again. I've tried to go for a mix of shapes and sizes, so some could be cups and decanters, others incense burners and plant holders :-p

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2015, 08:28:12 PM »
Hi - the tables and chairs look good, I like the colour you have got them, looks very realistic.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2015, 08:42:54 PM »
I really like the ornaments. I need to get some beads for the same purpose at some point.

Offline pistolpete

• Mad Scientist
  • Rent money is for rent - telly savalas
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2015, 05:28:15 PM »
nicely done.  the name is something like 'in her majesty's name' - lots of stuff under the VSF forum (but pulp is definately better IMHO)

Offline Molotov98989

• Bookworm
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2015, 08:40:54 PM »
nicely done.  the name is something like 'in her majesty's name' - lots of stuff under the VSF forum (but pulp is definately better IMHO)

Yeah that's the one ;-)

Well time for another update! Characters this time. Again, from the "Servants of Ra" set. A professor (who I like the look of as an advisor to the heroes, rather than one of the mad cultist villains), the reincarnation of...a Pharaoh, and one of his mummy friends!
Album link; http://s110.photobucket.com/user/gigalord/library/?view=recent&page=1

And some potted plants. This time, big beads, big plants, small tables/planks. Easy to make and paint, although I'm tempted to try painting the plant stalks wooden, to cover the bright green :-p

I've also taken a photo with most of what I've made and painted so far. Just got to keep slowly adding to it before I think of playing demo games or anything like that. Larger objectives, tombs, pyramids jutting out of the desert sands, the usual ;-)

Bonus! I've been working on this big pulpy robot guy. He's an old Heroclix model, bronze giant or something like that. I've left him pretty plain, besides the weapon addition, so I can use him as a Nazi robot, or a stolen armour prototype, or some such.