Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 04:01:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: horrid frostgrave  (Read 11700 times)

Offline horridperson

• Mad Scientist
  • Doing the Will of The Horned Cat
    • Void Spaces
Re: horrid frostgrave
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2015, 12:09:43 PM »
I'm anticipating the arrival of my northstar summoner so I was looking for a big demon for him to summon.  I managed to work out a really sweet trade for a mountain of classic lead :) and one of the models was a marilith.  It's a fairly recent reaper sculpt of the classic D&D demon.  I thought it suited the summoner because I get an arabian nights/ middle eastern vibe from his garb.  I wanted to test an olive coloured paint triad I picked up recently that I was hoping would be appropriate for the summoning duo. 

Looking at the results in a photo I think I have to go back and detail the scales a little better and restore some of the wash I had done on the golds because it was my first trial of vallejo liquid golds and the isopropyl based paint seemed to defy the laws of physics as I understood them.  Not really but it flowed more freely than the acrylics I'm accustomed to and slithered into the recesses even though I was fairly lighthanded with the brush.  Those are the weak points but I'm really happy with the skin and the way it plays with the blue green of the scales.

Offline Anarchy

• Assistant
  • I make games.
    • Zero Radius Games
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2015, 07:06:22 PM »
Nice mini!

Offline horridperson

• Mad Scientist
    • Void Spaces
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2015, 02:17:47 AM »
A quick snapshot of the WIP.  I was so close to done but ran out of time.  I'll post nice shots once he is based and cleaned up.

Offline Achilles

• Mad Scientist
  • Heal them, with fire from above.
    • Guerrilla Miniature Games
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2015, 12:07:45 PM »
Such a great model. I always imagine he's summoning by playing castanets and doing the mambo.

All life is an experiment.
The more experiments you make, the better.
To see more painted Toy Soldiers, check out my Blog!

Offline horridperson

• Mad Scientist
    • Void Spaces
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2015, 07:16:10 PM »
I completed the summoner model.  I like him but I'm happier that I was able to start fleshing out my Frostgrave setting.  If you want quick pics here they are.  If you like ramblings on worldbuilding here is the link to the blog entry; http://horridvoidspace.blogspot.ca/2015/10/frostgrave-rockstar-among-wizards.html

Offline MaleGriffin

• Mastermind
  • Don't bother running.... You'll just die tired....
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2015, 04:34:32 PM »
Beautiful brushwork! Inspiring! ;D
Hoc quoque transibit
Sanguinem sistit semper

Offline mdauben

• Scientist
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2015, 07:39:06 PM »
That Summoner is probably one of my favorite of the original wizard figures.  I think you did an excellent job on him, too!  The pattern on his jacket is really well done and adds a lot to the appearance of the figure.   :)
Mike

Offline jp1885

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • "An enquiring mind is sufficient qualification"
    • My Frostgrave blog
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2015, 08:16:25 PM »
Very nice, particularly the peacock feather 'eyes' on his robe.

Offline Achilles

• Mad Scientist
  • Heal them, with fire from above.
    • Guerrilla Miniature Games
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2015, 09:48:11 PM »
Will he buy my unused Gold... FOR CASH!?  :-*

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2015, 10:06:32 PM »
Really nice painting, classic in a good way and technically very well executed !  :-*

Offline Hendrid

• Librarian
    • ALBAtwo Warblog
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2015, 09:11:46 PM »
Excellent look for the summoner. Classic Hammer movie look. Nice jacket  :D

Offline MaleGriffin

• Mastermind
  • Don't bother running.... You'll just die tired....
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2015, 03:39:21 AM »
Stunning brushwork!  :o

You have inspired me to collect some of my own Frostgrave figures.

I love the reaper figures! :-*

Offline horridperson

• Mad Scientist
    • Void Spaces
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2015, 04:29:11 AM »
@Hendrid

Hammer film?  Awesome!  That is a high compliment.  I'm thinking of an aging Boris Karloff in one of their productions :) .

EDIT

****I think I was wrong on Karloff in Hammer.  I may have been thinking of a Roger Corman one.  My favorite Hammer film isn't actually a Hammer film.  The Wicker Man came just a little too late but it should have been :) .

@MaleGriffin

Cool!  I'm looking forward to seeing your models.  I love the Reaper ranges too.  There are so many awesome model makers across the pond the solid North American ones are sometimes overshadowed.  There is some amazing talent that traveled from Ral Partha, Grenadier and then into Reaper.  I don't care where models come from as long as they look cool.

Speaking of old Ral later this evening (morning) I snap a pic of an AD&D construct from 1988.

@sundayhero

Thanks.  It's an apt description of my style.  I started painting in the 80s and didn't get any instruction; testor's oils and straight pins for painting eyes :P.  I got my first instruction from Citadel's red pamphlet that found it's way into a local hobby shop in the 90s.  By the turn of the millennium I was somewhat set in my ways.  I work with new products as I discover them but I never picked up the finer points of more technically accomplished painting skills.  If only I'd been ten years younger :) .    
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 06:48:29 PM by horridperson »

Offline Harry

• Scientist
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2015, 06:29:05 AM »
Like the treasure hunter model. Very nice find.

Really love the detail on the bottom of the Sigalists dress. Top notch painting all round.

Offline horridperson

• Mad Scientist
    • Void Spaces
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2016, 02:47:26 AM »
I started building some terrain for Frostgrave.  Somewhere along the line in my "canon" the frozen city took on a Greco-Roman vibe. I liked the idea of the wizards and their henchmen being descendants of more primitive cultures that had grown on the shoulders of a mysterious giant and only after the thaw can they begin to discover the wonders of a lost antiquity.

I ended up settling on Hadrian's heliocaminus as a starting point.  I think it was a bath house/ ancient hot tub but I liked the dome and thought it would look pretty cool if I could make something like that.  It's not 100% done but it's prettty close and just needs some final detailing and winterizing.  I thought I`d post here to bring my thread back into the game, keep my clutter down and give anyone interested a chance to chime in and help me make the piece as cool as possible.

The plan is to build a fountain that can sit in the interior`s courtyard.  The ruin is large relative to most of the things I have planned so I thought it would make a decent centerpiece for the well of memory and sorrow scenario