Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:20:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Broken Legions from Osprey Games  (Read 20933 times)

Offline Marshall Sparks

• Bookworm
    • Mark A. Latham Facebook Page
Re: Broken Legions from Osprey Games
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2015, 08:27:15 PM »
He does make fun rules, that are great for getting guys together with and just having fun. Nothing too serious. Waterloo was a pretty book. Also massive.
I always asked for dorky signatures in my books, he always obliged. Fun type of fellow - although I don't know him at all, and he certainly wouldn't know a nobody like me.

Dude, I will always happily scrawl dorky stuff in books for people. I can confirm I am super fun.

But seriously, that's my MO. The games I write are the games I want to play with friends over a beer. Not everyone shares that view, which is why I write for the other 90% lol

My best,

Mark

Offline Comsquare

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2015, 08:44:32 PM »
Sounds like a fun game, I'm in...as long as I can play Celts instead of Romans as well  ;)

And Mark, feel free to spread some more words about the game  :D

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2015, 01:01:25 AM »
Dude, I will always happily scrawl dorky stuff in books for people. I can confirm I am super fun.

But seriously, that's my MO. The games I write are the games I want to play with friends over a beer. Not everyone shares that view, which is why I write for the other 90% lol

My best,

Mark

Cheers Mark! The games work just like that.  :D
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2015, 06:02:48 AM »
Just saw this on the Osprey Games Facebook page...

!

So, that's how the Romans were finally beaten.... it wasn't the Parthians, Sassanids and Germanic hordes..... it was a Giant Minotaur.....  I knew I had been barking up the wrong tree!! lol lol

Not my thing at all but if it's your cuppa then I guess the number of new Fantasy skirmish (if it is indeed just that?) rulesets coming out will leave you rather spoiled for choice.

Darrell.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2015, 06:40:48 AM »
I am thinking I would like to do some mid republic and late empire action, with this.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Saucy Jack

• Scientist
    • London by Midnight
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2015, 07:01:59 AM »
This has gotten me really excited - a long wait until the release though.  :'(

In the meantime please tell us more Mark  :)

Offline Rob_bresnen

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2015, 08:29:31 AM »
I am excited about this. I have always fancied doing Romans but never really fancied painting hundreds of them. This could be a good place to start.
Theres more 28mm Superhero Madness at my blog, http://fourcoloursupers.blogspot.com/
And for Ultra-modern Wargaming check out Hotel Zugando at http://ultramoderngaming.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Marshall Sparks

• Bookworm
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2015, 08:48:56 AM »
In the meantime please tell us more Mark  Smiley

I'll tell you more when (a) I've done some more work, and (b) the guys at Osprey let me  lol

Offline Saucy Jack

• Scientist
    • London by Midnight
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2015, 08:50:15 AM »
Thanks Mark  :)

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2015, 09:03:17 AM »
Well, it's not like there's a lack of skirmish type games, most of them suited to scenarios set in the ancient world as well. Quite a few also encompass or even focus on ancient mythology.
However, I do wonder what "Roman Fantasy" actually means. Judging the book by its cover (which doesn't appeal to me at all TBH) it doesn't seem to bother with genuinely Roman mythology. So, since the author is with us, may we rather expect something along the lines of the video game Ryse?

Offline Marshall Sparks

• Bookworm
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2015, 01:26:42 PM »
However, I do wonder what "Roman Fantasy" actually means. Judging the book by its cover (which doesn't appeal to me at all TBH) it doesn't seem to bother with genuinely Roman mythology. So, since the author is with us, may we rather expect something along the lines of the video game Ryse?

Similar to Ryse in that it's alternate history, but there is plenty of Roman mythology in Broken Legions. If you check out the blog linked yesterday (here: http://thelostvictorian.blogspot.co.uk/2015/09/more-wargaming-forays.html), you'll see my current thinking. Each warband uses priests, creatures and monsters drawing upon their own mythology. In a nutshell: Romans fight secret war against the occult, travel the globe battling the gods and monsters of their foes - hence the Minotaur on the cover :)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2015, 03:03:03 PM »
Please, tell me that the combat system will not be as utterly random as the one in Frostgrave. Just that, and I'll consider buying it (as the term 'warband' just tickled my inner geek)!

I like Romans. I like mythology. I like 1:1 skirmish gaming. I do not play several games a week, so I absolutely crave rules that make player decisions, both on and off the table, count more than random dice rolls.
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline wulfgar22

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2015, 03:44:21 PM »
So how flexible will making up the warband be? Would you be able to play non-magic warbands, too? Say a hardy Centurion along with his Optio and a bunch of veterans against more magical oppponents? I would much rather this than a more prescriptive system where every warband has to take a God, Priest/Sorceror and band of warriors/beasties.

Offline Marshall Sparks

• Bookworm
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2015, 03:56:44 PM »
Please, tell me that the combat system will not be as utterly random <snip>

Only as random as any system based on dice rolls ;)  Seriously, I'm settled on using D10s in a target-based system. Beyond that, I'm still refining.

So how flexible will making up the warband be? Would you be able to play non-magic warbands, too?

I really can't go into much detail at present as I've only done the most cursory work, but I can say with some certainty that warbands are absolutely flexible. Other than a compulsory leader (Centurion, Barbarian Chieftain, etc), all other models are optional. You don't have to take a priest, unless your leader happens to be one (as I think will be the case with the Egyptians, for the purposes of the narrative I've concocted). I'm also planning to include more than one Roman faction, at least one of which will be 'non magical', for want of a better phrase. If there's space, I'll also add mercenaries so that you can take a flavour of other races within your otherwise 'vanilla' warband.

Right, I'm going to bow out for a bit, as I'm in danger of turning the thread into an FAQ for a game that hasn't even had it's first draft yet! Besides, I can say no more, as Osprey are on their way to my house with some Roman-era torture equipment to silence me :)

Latham Out!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 04:02:47 PM by Marshall Sparks »

Offline wulfgar22

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2015, 04:12:11 PM »

I really can't go into much detail at present as I've only done the most cursory work, but I can say with some certainty that warbands are absolutely flexible. Other than a compulsory leader (Centurion, Barbarian Chieftain, etc), all other models are optional. You don't have to take a priest, unless your leader happens to be one (as I think will be the case with the Egyptians, for the purposes of the narrative I've concocted). I'm also planning to include more than one Roman faction, at least one of which will be 'non magical', for want of a better phrase. If there's space, I'll also add mercenaries so that you can take a flavour of other races within your otherwise 'vanilla' warband.

Music to my ears!