Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:33:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Broken Legions from Osprey Games  (Read 20932 times)

Offline grendal

• Bookworm
Re: Broken Legions from Osprey Games
« Reply #60 on: May 31, 2016, 05:30:06 PM »
Arena Rex is a good alternative while you wait...a little pricey but some of the best looking miniatures in the industry.

ArenaRex.com

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2016/03/showcase-arena-rex-painting-medusa.html

Offline Saucy Jack

• Scientist
    • London by Midnight
« Reply #61 on: May 31, 2016, 06:08:37 PM »
I was one of the playtesters, you can read about it in my blog: londonbymidnight.blogspot.com

Offline Richard in Sachsen

• Scientist
« Reply #62 on: June 05, 2016, 08:03:40 PM »
I think I might have to dig out those Zvezda Legion of the Damned undead Romans I have. I snagged a bunch on sale: enough for a 1:1 EIR Roman Century plus 16 cavalry and scorpios & onagers. Skeletal, undead Legionaires... pretty cool.

They're just a pain to put together, literally the thigh-bone is connected to the knee-bone and the knee-bone is connected to the shin bone - in 28mm. I have to use a pin & vice and .05mm wire to pin them together just to keep all the parts from falling off. I feel like a surgeon putting these things together. After finishing half of the cavalry, I put all the sprues up on a shelf and went on to other things.

But this game may just make me suffer through putting 100 Zvezda 28mm skeletons in Roman armor together.
You go to war with the figures you have, not the figures you wish you had!

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #63 on: June 05, 2016, 09:27:45 PM »
I think I might have to dig out those Zvezda Legion of the Damned undead Romans I have. I snagged a bunch on sale: enough for a 1:1 EIR Roman Century plus 16 cavalry and scorpios & onagers. Skeletal, undead Legionaires... pretty cool.

(..........)

But this game may just make me suffer through putting 100 Zvezda 28mm skeletons in Roman armor together.

If you decide to part with some, I would be interested - I only have a single sprue or two sitting in my undead plastic box.
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Richard in Sachsen

• Scientist
« Reply #64 on: June 06, 2016, 05:11:49 PM »
If you decide to part with some, I would be interested - I only have a single sprue or two sitting in my undead plastic box.

I think I'll hold on to them for awhile now that there might be a decent game to use them with. They really are pretty neat, it's just so tedious putting them together

Offline Polkovnik

• Librarian
« Reply #65 on: June 06, 2016, 11:55:32 PM »
I was one of the playtesters, you can read about it in my blog: londonbymidnight.blogspot.com

The photos of the game look good, but there's not much on there about the mechanics of the game. What is good about it, what makes it enjoyable / challenging / interesting / different to any other games ?
3 hours for a skirmish game with 14 figures on each side sounds awfully long to me. It sounded like the figures were locked in melee combat for a lot of this time. Is there anything interesting to do once they are locked in combat, or is just a case of rolling dice until one side wins ?

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #66 on: June 07, 2016, 02:05:10 AM »
For your skeletal Roman gaming needs...

http://tabletop-miniatures-solutions.com/16-core-units
Paint log - leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=36840.0

Blog - My life in Millimetres

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #67 on: June 07, 2016, 05:51:46 AM »
How tall are those guys compared to other historical range's?
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
« Reply #68 on: June 07, 2016, 06:35:58 AM »
Interestingly they do skeleton heads as well.

Offline Saucy Jack

• Scientist
    • London by Midnight
« Reply #69 on: June 07, 2016, 01:14:54 PM »
The photos of the game look good, but there's not much on there about the mechanics of the game. What is good about it, what makes it enjoyable / challenging / interesting / different to any other games ?
3 hours for a skirmish game with 14 figures on each side sounds awfully long to me. It sounded like the figures were locked in melee combat for a lot of this time. Is there anything interesting to do once they are locked in combat, or is just a case of rolling dice until one side wins ?
The 3 hours spent is a lot. Of course us not really knowing the rules add time. A lot of time the game is all about being locked in melee, and yes the options of what to do once that happens is limited. The time issue is some of the feedback that the author received from our playtesting group, and from what I gathered others had mentioned it as well. So this is something that he has looked at - but what the outcome is I do not know.

What works? Well I quite like the options for each warband and they have a different feel and will play differently - Germanic Tribes is all about getting up-close-and -personal as fast as possible while the Romans benefits from being on the defensive and staying in their shieldwall. One thing that we did not test was the Auxilaries (Mercenaries) which adds a lot of colourful characters to the game - Sicari Assassins for instance. Also the campaign rules were not tested, but could of course add something to the game.

We have enjoyed playing the game, but as mentioned in the feedback there is a lot of places where the rules should be tweaked to speed up gameplay.

Hope that helps.