Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:05:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690821
  • Total Topics: 118353
  • Online Today: 532
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Favourite ACW range  (Read 3525 times)

Offline THE CID

• Mastermind
Favourite ACW range
« on: September 22, 2015, 11:31:40 AM »
I'm thinking starting a ACW painting project. I'm torn between Foundry and Perry miniatures ( I know they were both sculpted by the Perry twins ). I was just wondering what your favourite figures are. My feelings are the old Foundry range has a lot of character, especially for painting.
Ive seen things you people wouldn't believe - Roy Batty.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Re: Favourite ACW range
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 11:36:32 AM »
Redoubt Miniatures.  its a huge range, I was contemplating starting it a long time ago with some mates and we settled on Redoubt for the massive variety of figures with separate heads, multiple poses etc. The horses are the only thing that let them down in my opinion, not their best sculpts, but I think the figures are full of character.
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline THE CID

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 02:52:52 PM »
I will have to have a look at the Redoubt range, interesting.

Offline Shipka

• Mastermind
    • RussoTurkishWar1877
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 05:39:04 PM »
If investing in Redoubt whilst their range is excellent, many of thejr ranges suffer from old mold syndrome. ! I would strongly suggest getting some ssmple castings to check the current quality. Njce people to deal with, but not slways easy to get hold of.

Offline General Lee

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2015, 06:05:01 PM »
Perry hands down. Wargames Foundry have some interesting stuff. My second favorite are Forgotten and Glorious (very limited range though)
\"It is well that war is so terrible, or we should grow too fond of it.\"

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2015, 06:30:43 PM »
I would suggest that you first decide what Regiments/units you want to portray on the tabletop. I would then choose from the following:

Foundry
Perry
Steve Barber
Redoubt
Dixon (have some nice snipers)
Old Glory ( if you want a massive army)
Sash and Saber
Renegade

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2015, 07:42:24 PM »
Foundry and Perry..... end of  :)

Both are different styles (I believe the Perry's sculpted them both?) and have their respective merits. I think that the Foundry range just pis the post for me personally- plenty of variation and they still easily stand up to any range out there these days

Darrell.

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2015, 08:43:31 PM »
I really like Redoubt too, though I actually like the horses! Its a wide range of figures with loads of character.

Offline julesav

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2015, 08:54:45 PM »
Peter Pig 15mms, just saying!
"Some scientists say that humans exhibit a behavior called neophilia, which is a preference for new objects. It’s why we like shiny new things."

Offline The Gray Ghost

• Mastermind
  • Beware The Gray Ghost
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2015, 01:08:11 AM »
I really like Redoubt, they don't mix well with other ranges, but I like their big chunky look.
I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it anymore and what is it seems weird and scary.

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2015, 06:52:56 AM »
I really like Redoubt, they don't mix well with other ranges, but I like their big chunky look.

I find them to be ok to mix with Renegade, but that's just my opinion. I'm sure others would disagree.

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2015, 03:49:31 PM »
I really like the Dixon figures. They use a metal alloys that's really easy to work with. They are smaller figures though and have big heads but still are very nice figures. I own a lot of them. I also have Perry plastic, Foundry, Redoubt, Forgotten & Glorious and a few Old Glory in my collection.

I think that once painted, the different styles and sizes tend to blend in more… I also "cheat" by putting smaller figures on thicker bases.

Be advice though that there’s a HUGE size difference between Perry plastic and Foundry horses :?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 04:45:39 PM by Calimero »
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline THE CID

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2015, 04:12:19 PM »
As some of you might know, I'm not a fan of Plastic so it will be a metal range. I've had some Dixon before and although they are nice, yes they do have big heads. I think I will try Foundry and get a couple of Redoubt samples. I am a collector and part time pro-painter, so I don't need loads of figures. Thanks for all your ideas, much appreciated.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2015, 06:32:45 PM »
As some of you might know, I'm not a fan of Plastic so it will be a metal range. I've had some Dixon before and although they are nice, yes they do have big heads. I think I will try Foundry and get a couple of Redoubt samples. I am a collector and part time pro-painter, so I don't need loads of figures. Thanks for all your ideas, much appreciated.

There are certainly many options for you  ;) :D

Darrell.

Offline Madmick

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2015, 07:23:37 AM »
1st Corps for me, new releases coming out to fill in the gaps...