Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:30:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Atheling's Anglo Danes- More Command Bases- UPDATED P.15- 28-02-2023  (Read 34789 times)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Thanks gents :)

These are really marvellous. You must keep going and keep posting.

I will keep regularly coming back to the army Paul. It's been slow progress of late but also a labour of love so they will not be shelved!

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Definitely looks like a labor of love!  The variety of figures really helps makes it come alive.  Another great unit.
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
Definitely looks like a labor of love!  The variety of figures really helps makes it come alive.  Another great unit.

Thanks syrinx0 for the kind words :)

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
Marvelous work A, really impressive. The units really look as though they're at it. You're, slowly yet surely, building a collection any wargamer would be privileged to own.

:)
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
Marvelous work A, really impressive. The units really look as though they're at it. You're, slowly yet surely, building a collection any wargamer would be privileged to own.

:)

Cheers Harry. I do wish I could move with them a little faster. As do we all I suppose :)

Offline Roo

• Mad Scientist
Stunning, don’t compromise quality over quantity you ain’t Stalin mate

Offline Alan Mercer

• Scientist
    • Alan's Wargaming Miniatures
Excellent in every way. I do like the way you have mixed the manufacturers, which shows how it can be done.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
Stunning, don’t compromise quality over quantity you ain’t Stalin mate

Cheers Roo :) and yeah, I'm not Stalin  lol

Excellent in every way. I do like the way you have mixed the manufacturers, which shows how it can be done.

Thanks. When I started putting the different manufacturers together they were all of similar sizes and often styles too. Like the Gripping Beast and Saxon Miniatures. I think, probably unconsciously I became a little bolder as time went on; certainly there is a wider range of mini's in terms of size, bulk and sculpting styles on the latter units. Again, just picking what I thought would work. The odd thing is, this is not by any means my normal approach to putting together a unit. I usually go for mini's that are of a very similar size and style.

I'm going to put together a Norse army after the Anglo Danes have had their due and will probably take a similar approach. God knows I've got enough unpainted Norse by various manufacturers to make it happen!!!  :)

BTW, if anyone has any ideas on manufacturers I have missed it would be good to hear further suggestions.

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
Stunning, don’t compromise quality over quantity ...
Have you seen his 'speed painted' stuff? Still very impressive. :D

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
Have you seen his 'speed painted' stuff? Still very impressive. :D

I do have a confession re: the 'speed painted' stuff. The Perry Miniatures Mahdists and Afghans do lend themselves to speed painting. It would be much more difficult for me to speed paint a unit of mixed miniatures like those of the above. I don't think I would be inclined to hurry them either :)

Offline Hincmar

• Bookworm

Beautiful painting and stunning vignettes each one.  Very inspirational.   I agree that the Aventine Early Byzantine range is superb.   They are a long way off the work bench at the moment but I'm certainly looking forward to seeing what Keith does with the cavalry.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
Beautiful painting and stunning vignettes each one.  Very inspirational.

I'm really happy to read that you think so. The vignette style basing has been a theme that I have tried to continue in all my armies. I have to thank Mr James Morris for turning me onto the idea after seeing his Dark Age armies in Age of Arthur, Shieldwall and El Cid, as well as seeing much more of his work over the years at various events.

I agree that the Aventine Early Byzantine range is superb.   They are a long way off the work bench at the moment but I'm certainly looking forward to seeing what Keith does with the cavalry.

They are and me too. Roll on the cavalry! :)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
Re: Atheling's Anglo Danes- Close Ups Bottom of Page 8 (Pic Heavy) - 12/01/2021
« Reply #132 on: November 14, 2021, 10:17:22 AM »
Just a quick post to say that I've had quite a few of my pictures of my Anglo Danes features in the latest edition of The Wargames Annual.

They look absolutely stunning in print and leaving me quite proud.

If you pop over the the Bazaar you will be able to see the post in full including some bonus pictures which didn't make the cut:
https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=134165.new;topicseen#new

Here's a quick sample:

Offline MaleGriffin

• Mastermind
  • Don't bother running.... You'll just die tired....
« Reply #133 on: November 14, 2021, 02:44:36 PM »
Masterful brushwork! Absolutely perfect!
Hoc quoque transibit
Sanguinem sistit semper

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #134 on: November 14, 2021, 03:21:00 PM »
Masterful brushwork! Absolutely perfect!

Thank you so much!  :)