Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:30:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689713
  • Total Topics: 118289
  • Online Today: 768
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Update WIP Winter Fallschirmjagers  (Read 5113 times)

Offline Gunner Dunbar

• Mastermind
Update WIP Winter Fallschirmjagers
« on: September 27, 2015, 11:37:33 AM »
Hi guys

My mate Scott (Trailape of Trailapes wargame ) have decided to play regular games of Chain of command, even though I already have a couple of 20mm WWII project started I have decided to start another and am determined to actually finish this one in a timely manner, I could have made any of the usual suspects for this period but when I was going through my stash a box of Hat Romanians caught my eye, I wanted to expand the available poses so decided to convert some WWI German Jagers to fill the ranks, with head swaps they will be close enough, I added some of the Jäger packs to the Romanians to add more variety and blend the 2 lots together, also added blacked rolls to the Jägers. I finished the group off with 4jump off points.
More pics at my blog
http://gunnerswargamming.blogspot.com.au/2015/09/20mm-romanians-for-chain-of-command.html

« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 07:34:35 AM by Gunner Dunbar »

Offline Truscott Trotter

• Mad Scientist
Re: 20mm Romanians for Chain of command
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 12:59:53 AM »
You have to do a priest
From the COC Romanian list
A force selecting a Captain
Priest as a support option will be blessed
before going into action and will add +1 to its
Force Morale roll.   

Offline Gunner Dunbar

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 09:56:01 AM »
Hmm good idea, but how to model one? will think on it.

Offline Gunner Dunbar

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2015, 08:01:04 AM »
Hi guys

Just an update on my 20mm WWII Romanians for Coc, they are coming along nicely, just insignia, some other small details and basing to go, will take pics in better light once finished, then I will start on a 38t tank for support, and a Priest, (he is an option for Coc Romanians) not sure how I will model him, any ideas. All comments welcome.
More pics
http://gunnerswargamming.blogspot.com.au/2015/10/20mm-wwii-romanians-update.html

Offline Gunner Dunbar

• Mastermind
Re: 20mm Romanians for Chain of command updated 23/10
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2015, 08:47:49 AM »
Hi guys

My Coc WWII Romanians are finished, well an infantry platoon plus some supports, anyway, for support I have a HMG team, a sniper team, a mortar team, and an engineer team, I plan on doing a couple of tanks, an 38t which will stand in for an R35 or R2, and a T26 which will stand in for an R1 and I plan on doing a Lieutenant priest, pictures taken on my freshly made terrain, all comments welcome.
More pics here
http://gunnerswargamming.blogspot.com.au/2015/10/20mm-wwii-romanian-infantry-finished.html

Offline Gunner Dunbar

• Mastermind
Re: 20mm Romanians for Coc, first battle
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2015, 04:45:24 AM »
Hi guys

I took my Chain of command Romanians on their first hit out today, they came up against Scott's Pz Grenadiers in a battle for the cross roads.
Somehow the Romanians had a morale of 11 and the PGs 9, the Romanians were on the offensive.
A note on the 2 forces, the German Pz Grenadiers have small 10 man sections with heaps of fire power (2 belt fed LMGs) and strong command, the Romanians have large sections of 17 men, which gives them decent fire power of 14 rifles and a magazine fed LMG, but a weaker command.
After the patrol phase we ended up with ze Germans concentrating their troops (first pic orientation) in the lower left, and da Rumanians in the top right.
The idiot Romanian commander (me) decided to send a section on a leisurely stroll down the road towards the cross roads, because, well that's where we want to go, right? I deployed a second section in the 2 story building centre of map, with the rifle sections down stairs and the LMG upstairs to take advantage of the window looking down the road to the cross road.
Surprise surprise the Germans popped up at the cross roads and sprayed the advancing Romanian section with fire, luckily they were moving tactically and only lost 1 man killed and gained 2 shock.
The next couple of turns we slugged it out with an exchange of fire between the LMGs in the 2, 2 story buildings and the sections on the ground around the cross road, I managed to set up my HMG at the T intersection and pored more fire into the 2 story barn, my 38t entered via the road near the 2 story house and added its weight of fire to the barn, the LMG in the barn did kill a couple of my guys in the 2 story house, but withdrew to ground level outside the barn after its leader was injured.
The German managed to ambush the section that originally tried to advance down the road, but I was again very lucky and only lost 1 man and gained a couple of shock.
The tables turned when by weight of fire power I was able to kill half the section occupying the cross roads, breaking them and killing the entire section deployed at the bottom of the middle road (first picture orientation) which reduced the Germans to 3 morale.
Some conclusions, I like this game, tanks are not dominant, and are quite vulnerable at close quarters, the Romanians large sections are able to absorb and dole out a lot of punishment, where as the Germans can do even more damage but can't absorb much, which hurt them in this game.
The terrain turned out great and I will be expanding it as I go (everything except the mat and roads are Scott's) I was going to use cardboard buildings, but I am now thinking of going with Airfix resin buildings.
Scott also gave me a bag of metal Romanians to swell out my force, not sure who makes them but they are nice figures, I will be making a Russian force to oppose the Romanians next.
Heaps More pics
http://gunnerswargamming.blogspot.com.au/2015/10/battle-of-cross-roads-first-romanians.html

Offline sespe

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2015, 06:48:10 PM »
Looks very nice!

Offline Gunner Dunbar

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2015, 09:24:58 AM »
As I am making WWII Rumanians for Coc, I want a Russian opposition, my mate Scott doesn't have Russians, so I have decided to make one myself, (I also have a Russian Naval Marine force on the work bench for my Stalingrad project, but wanted a regular army one as well)
I have a fair few plastic Russians in my stash, Italeri, PSC, Airfix and Revel, but I didn't really like the mix, so I checked out PSR for some ideas, and I liked the look of the Strelets Russians, they have a nice chunky look and I think they will paint up well, to get a wide range of poses I decided to get 3 different packs, RKKA infantry 1939-41, Red Army winter war (mainly in greatcoats), and Polish peoples army ( all in greatcoats) the last 2 would need head swaps, as a few of the Russians are in pointy hats that stopped being issued in 1940, and the Polish troops mostly had Square topped caps.
I need 5 NCOs with rifles, but suitable figures are hard to find ( most NCO types have submachine guns) so did some converting so they were pointing or doing hand signals (pics below, the fig on the left is the original pose) I'm going to leave the lieutenant unconverted, he has a pointy hat, but it will give him a bit if character.
Unfortunately the Polish troops were a bit smaller than the Russians, but hopefully they will mix in OK, I'm not a big fan of the PSC Russians, but I like their big helmets so used them for head swaps on the larger Figures, and Revel heads on the Polish figs.
I will be doing some other assets, tanks etc as well, all comments welcome.
Lots More pics
http://gunnerswargamming.blogspot.com.au/2015/11/20mm-wwii-russians-for-chain-of-command.html

Offline Gunner Dunbar

• Mastermind
Re: Gunners 20mm Chain of command project, Russians
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2017, 04:21:09 AM »
Hi guys

Feeling really frustrated at the moment at my lack of ability to finish any of my many, many stalled projects, so I am going to attempt to finish this long lost winter Fallschirmjager platoon +
They are mostly Italeri tropical FJs, and Caesar winter Germans, I had only just started the conversion process when I stalled, I will be sculpting quilted jackets on the Italei figs (have done a few of their bodies, but need to extend it down the arms) not sure about their pants, we will see, and giving the Caesars head swaps.
Force consist of a Chain of command FJ platoon, with a HMG, mortar, motorbike and sidecar, FO, Panzerknacker, flamer, and sniper options (will add a Stug to the team later)
1 question, of the 4 metal command figures, I only need a senior and junior leader, one of the 2 on the left will be a junior, and one on the right will be a senior, which figure combo do you guys like (obviously I will make any conversions needed to make them FJs)
More pics here
http://gunnerswargamming.blogspot.com.au/2017/07/172nd-winter-fjs-for-coc-project-part-1.html

« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 04:28:54 AM by Gunner Dunbar »

Offline Slayer

• Mad Scientist
Re: Gunners 20mm Chain of command project, Winter FJs
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2017, 05:40:02 AM »
wow, cant wait to see them painted up
the early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese

Offline Gunner Dunbar

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2017, 12:51:04 AM »
I will do my best.

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2017, 10:33:44 PM »
I like the way you chop stuff about and make the figures your own. Unfortunately this often goes hand in hand with not getting anything finished, I know from my own projects!
Good luck with the FJ and all the other lovelies
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline Gunner Dunbar

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2017, 02:14:35 AM »
Yeah, it's a curse, I just can't accept stock standard figures, I have to convert everything.

Offline Gunner Dunbar

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2017, 07:40:53 AM »
Hi guys

Have added more detail to these, started on the sleeves and hoods, once done will do any pants that need it (some of the figs now look a little skinny in the legs) then will start adding gear were needed. I'm pretty happy with how they are turning out, all except maybe the flamer, for some reason he reminds me of Charlie Chaplin, he's getting a jump smock over his greatcoat, the bottom images are the 2 figs I'm going with for my leaders, senior on the left, I gave him an AB head, very happy with how he turned out, I like his weapon, sort of personalizes him, I've had to use some heads from the older Italeri FJ set, as I only had 1 lot of the newer set, not as good unfortunately, but it is was it is, all comments welcome.
Loads more pics
http://gunnerswargamming.blogspot.com.au/2017/07/172-winter-fjs-part-2.html

Offline Gunner Dunbar

• Mastermind
Re: Gunners 20mm Chain of command project, Winter FJs Part 2
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2017, 07:41:21 AM »