Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:38:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690583
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 822
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: LaserStorm. (6mm rule set) AAR and Review  (Read 5286 times)

Offline sean_68333

• Scientist
    • Sean's Gaming and Shooting Blog
LaserStorm. (6mm rule set) AAR and Review
« on: September 28, 2015, 08:00:37 PM »
I had the opportunity to try out a new 6mm scale rule set this weekend.  The rules are called LaserStorm from Nordic Weasel Games.  I got the rules as a PDF through WarGamesVault.

The author's goals for the rules were stated in the book as:

-Game play that is simple, without too many fringe cases.
-Play quickly, even with a lot of troops on the table.
-Allow very large amounts of diverse figures on the table at the same time.
-Core mechanics can be condensed to a few pages.
-No markers, counters, templates or other indicators needed.
-No record keeping needed other than your army lists.
-"Blasters and jet Packs" scifi, rather than hard military realism.

When I read this, I thought this was a game I could get behind.  I'm a fan of simple, while still maintaining some tactical decision making.

The rules break out each force into 3 battle groups.  All the models in each battle group activate together, one unit at a time.  Activations are handled by a card draw system, so it isn't a strictly IGOUGO, system.  There are some opportunities for reactionary fire/movement, as well.  Movement, fire, and necessary moral is all resolved immediately so there is very little record keeping.

The rules offer a limited selection of pre-made troops and vehicles, but does include information on creating your own units with lots of options.

The rules provide a basic rule set for 6mm combat between reasonably sized forces, but most chapters also provide some variant ideas for different rules so you can tweak the game to your taste and play-style. 

Overall I was impressed with the rules.

To play the game, I used the introductory scenario provided in the rulebook and set up a card table with some terrain in my basement.  I played both sides and played out the battle between some Eldar force and Space Marines.  The Space Marines won the day, but took some losses in the process.

You can see the full report on my blog, but below are a few pictures from the battle.

http://gamingandshooting.blogspot.com/2015/09/laserstorm-6mm-grand-warfare-first-play.html

The Marine Force

The Eldar Force

The winning player isn't always the better player.

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
Re: LaserStorm. (6mm rule set) AAR and Review
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 11:06:15 PM »
Looks great! I'm a huge fan of all of Ivan's rulesets so I'm keen to try these out.

Offline johnl5555

• Librarian
    • Wargamer Printing
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 07:02:00 PM »
  Yeah, I want to try them out with my 6mm Starship troopers figs. That should look impressive!
Owner JS Wargamer Printing. 3D printing miniatures, buildings and terrain.
https://wargamerprinting.com/

Offline sean_68333

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 02:23:49 PM »
That would look cool.  It would be interesting to see a battle with 20-30 super powerful Mobile infantry troops versus 1,000s of bugs. 

Or do you game along the lines of the movie?  Which would also be cool.

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2015, 07:06:36 PM »
It would be interesting to see a battle with 20-30 super powerful Mobile infantry troops versus 1,000s of bugs.

The short description in your first post was interesting, but I think that's the line that really sold me on LaserStorm.

Offline johnl5555

• Librarian
    • Wargamer Printing
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2015, 07:44:28 PM »
  Hi, actually I have the figs for both. I prefer the Cartoon series adding in units from the movie. That's a wide variety of units for the MI. Plus the arachnids in the movie were just too cool! Basically, I mimic all the units from the miniatures game except in 6mm like it should have been all along.

Offline sean_68333

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 02:45:17 PM »
I started putting together some bug swarms to do Starship Trooper themed games.  These can work for lots of other things (in a variety of scales) as well.

I stole this idea from other posts that I have seen, so it isn't anything original, but I did write up a summary on my blog of how I went about creating these.

http://gamingandshooting.blogspot.com/2015/10/bugs-swarms-for-various-games.html

I hope to put together a game with 50-60 bases of these models against a small force of Mobile Infantry.  I have 20 of these finished and now that I have done a few, I will put together an assembly line to mass produce them.

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 05:41:46 PM »
Looking scary, Sean.

Too bad the 'flies' all have their wings tucked back; be fun to have 'em as hoppers, in droves. Or even, 'millions of them, Mr. Rico!'

Doug

Offline sean_68333

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2015, 08:42:56 PM »
Thanks, Doug.  This is just the beginning.  More will be on the way.  Any maybe I will find some other cheap insects/bugs to flesh out the forces.

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2015, 10:23:53 PM »
To keep the yelling to a minimum, yes, the book is much better.

Your kneecaps are safe.  lol

Nice looking horde, Sean. Effective. The right time of year for swelling the ranks, too!

I prefer the Cartoon series

That was good, wasn't it? It was one of the things that grabbed my attention about the 28mm Mongoose game, years ago.

Offline johnl5555

• Librarian
    • Wargamer Printing
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2015, 01:36:05 PM »
Yeah, I think the cartoon series was pretty good! It's relatively simple to do it in 6mm. You need either proxies for the tankers or ones from the line of figs sold ala Micro machine Action fleet many years ago. I have 6. Other fig ideas are below.

Gzg warrior bugs

Gzg New Isreali-Mobile infantry

Darkest Star Mid Tech infantry-LAMI (MI from the movies)

Walkers from the Cartoon series-Gzg has a wide variety of walkers. I am also using the walker from Risk 2210 as the Chicken Hawk.

The Battletech clicky game has a nice proxy for the Chaz too. 

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2015, 03:58:24 PM »
You need either proxies for the tankers

Otherworld beetles?

http://otherworldminiatures.co.uk/shop/dungeon-vermon/dv4a-fire-beetles-3/

Might be a wee bit small compared to the tanker in the movie, but I'd need to check with some epic minis or something. (You might also get a whole lot more plastic halloween beetles for your £10)

But then I have some OW beetles lying around to check, along with some GZG bugs. Hmmm...

Or you could buy some Zophobas morio, pupate them to their adult form, and unleash them on the tabletop.  ;D
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 04:04:37 PM by Vermis »

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2015, 06:18:28 PM »
I have to say I favored the movie, but biting political satire seldom makes good tabletop gaming. However, with Roughnecks, what's not to love?

Strangely enough, tankers might well best start with half a walnut shell of the small variety. However, I shall trot right down to the Dollar Tree and see what they have in small insect toys. Alas, they tend to be REALLY soft plastic.

Sean, did you ever get your birdhouse? Didn't have any at 48th and O, but I did get another at Southpointe if you want it. If not, I WILL do something with it.  lol

Doug

Offline sean_68333

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2015, 12:21:55 AM »
Doug,  Thanks for thinking of me, but I did get a space ship bird house.

Offline johnl5555

• Librarian
    • Wargamer Printing
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2015, 02:59:29 AM »
  Hi, I did go down to Dollar Tree. They have small hard plastic (perfect for 6mm) ants and flies. 60-100 per pack. They also have larger 12 per pack hard plastic scorpions, ants and some other creepy crawlies. I bought 8 packs.