Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 06:31:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690733
  • Total Topics: 118344
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Sci-fi SA?  (Read 13209 times)

Offline WallyTWest

• Scientist
  • 'Lux Mundi'
Re: Sci-fi SA?
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2016, 02:29:34 PM »
Wow- this was one of the greatest little threads in recent memory- I actualy have been referencing it as I have been collecting and preparing a minimalist collection centered around this concept. I just bought the deadzone terrain for this purpose alone.

I thought alternative settings could be handled with small rules packets- the core system and available weaponry would not change much.

I still think the time is right for this kind of project... And with osprey publishing every set of rules under the sun... Why not?

HorridPerson's post has had a huge effect on my approach to gaming this- trying to find a game that has done a decent job of hacking the investigation formula without being a subtle Clue variant.

But I did find this gem going through the thread- a late edit I must have missed. Sorry HP.
HorridPerson - "Edit:  It isn't the original works so much as the derivative material that ape Lovecraft's imaginings that would be a concern.  The 40k universe in particular is a science as magic/religion setting that I think should be approached with caution.  In adhering to Lovecraft's own position I think a basis in science (even pretend science) is more faithful to the genre."

I actualy think Lovecraft did this perfectly, and 40k did a marvelous job carrying that torch. In the "Lovecraft Cinimatic Universe" that he built the earliest stories refer to magic and gods. But as the stories progress we learn (as HPL grows as a writer too) there are no gods... No magic... These gods and magic are actualy technology, aliens or unspeakable cosmic truths. It's 40k's occupants that call these warp creatures gods, and the writers or men of higher understanding who inhabit that world who understand them to be a plague brought on by natural phenomena.

"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age."
-HP Lovecraft, COC

If you could build a scenerio towards this ultimate horror while retaining the tension of it all- that would be amazing.

-The expanse is on my radar, re watching trailer and first episodes now.

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2016, 04:48:43 PM »
An awesome series of novels loaded with inspiration for gamers of many stripes!

Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!

Offline tomcat51

• Scientist
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2016, 08:39:56 PM »

Oh! And I wouldn't rule out xenomorphs as a Mythos monster. After all, they are based on a design from Giger's Necronomicon book. Maybe there's an immortal Empress somewhere, a true deity in herself, and the xenomorphs are her thousand young. Or maybe they are bio-weapon engineered by some alien civilization for a cosmic war.

Funny you should mention Xenomorphs on a Cthulhu thread as, in my opinion, Alien is one of the finest mythos movies ever made. It's influences are many, its a haunted house movie in space for instance, with the Nostromo taking the place of a Gothic Mansion (take another look at the design of the ship itself) It plays on body horror, the fear of losing control of our own bodies, the parasitical, pseudo rape life cycle of the Xenomorphs designed to perfection by Giger (specifically for this film, not from a pre-existing book). And then of course there is the cosmic horror. Humans on the edge of known space coming into contact with an unknown alien creature that has itself come across a creature that has no agenda, no sympathy and no regard for the human race. The Mythos element was spoiled by subsequent films but the original still hold up as a Lovecraftian classic.

The Expanse is great space opera and promises some sort of vast alien menace beyond human understanding as well, as long as the writers hold up on the promise they have shown so far. What is it out there in the dark that destroyed an alien civilisation so far beyond humanity that we barely understand them?
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

Offline Basement Dweller

• Librarian
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2016, 11:25:07 PM »
So happy to see this thread continue and the different views/interests/inspirations...

I just wanted to let people know that Strange Aeons Sci-fi is brewing slowing in dark basements around Uncle Mike's Lab.  The idea would be to create a stand alone game that also aligns with all the current model profiles so that sci-fi horror is very doable with SA models and rules.

My playtest ship crew are painted up and will be my Round 11 LPL entry on Sunday.

Now I just have to get my ship built/painted...
leadadventureforum.com/gallery/16/1338_04_02_14_4_41_04_1.jpg

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2016, 11:49:18 PM »
I just wanted to let people know that Strange Aeons Sci-fi is brewing slowing in dark basements around Uncle Mike's Lab. 

Wow. Oh wow.  :o o_o

Offline WallyTWest

• Scientist
  • 'Lux Mundi'
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2016, 11:59:50 PM »
Sweet Christmass!!!

You've got me looking at everything I have collected for my Sci-Fi/Gothic Noir project now... I would be happy to participate in any playtest material.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 02:47:37 AM by WallyTWest »

Offline Basement Dweller

• Librarian
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2016, 09:42:35 PM »
Thanks Wally.  We will keep that in mind as we go forward as the sheer number of options for guns/gear/races will make lots of playtesting needed.

Mike has been collecting some great art for the rules...and a few fun miniatures are being considered...

Offline WallyTWest

• Scientist
  • 'Lux Mundi'
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2016, 05:31:15 PM »
I'm a big fan of "keep it simple"- then tack a compendium on if it's needed.

Check out Frostgrave and Rogue Stars by Osprey. Rogue Stars is going to occupy a similar niche when you're nearing completion. I would also review the weapon layouts in X-Com as a baseline.

I feel Strange Aeons is very similar with regards to the layout of the core game- I would keep to a Gun/Armor/Item1/Item2* format. In Scifi it's very tempting to become weighed down with equipment options but I think you will find that the inventory will "right size" with time.

I view SA 2nd Edition as a divinities edition that will not likely receive additional content and contains several optional rule modules that are not required for play.  

It would be really fun to keep a similar/identical point scale on the monster side of the house, you could present alternative stat lines and allow monsters or missions to bounce between systems/settings. An expansion and alternative narative at the same time!

One concept I am looking forward to is the possibility of infiltration missions or disguising defending monsters as "blips".

I have a very simple miniature set laid out for my "Strange Aeons Scifi"- 4 EM4 "investigators" and a small shuttle. For the baddies I turn to strange aeon monsters or Orks, Necromunda Mutants and Genestealers, but the options are limitless at that point-

I look forward to your efforts and encourage you to post your work and efforts.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 05:33:18 PM by WallyTWest »

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2016, 05:37:14 PM »
I would also review the weapon layouts in X-Com as a baseline.

I feel Strange Aeons is very similar with regards to the layout of the core game- I would keep to a Gun/Armor/Item1/Item2* format. In Scifi it's very tempting to become weighed down with equipment options but I think you will find that the inventory will "right size" with time.

I think you are on the money there Wally. SA2 is already pretty close to that with the way weapons are handled, so handling sci-fi devices / tech in a similar manner would make sense.

Offline WallyTWest

• Scientist
  • 'Lux Mundi'
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2016, 05:52:47 PM »
X-Com is a funny beast from a design perspective- it started life as a boardgame.

A number of other miniature wargames take design concepts from it. (A strength in my opinion) with regards to how miniatures interact with environments and cover, as well as the use of actions (flavor wise).

Offline Basement Dweller

• Librarian
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2016, 06:07:53 PM »
Good builds Wally and Peabody.

Xcom is definitely an influence...on some levels...and was playing it again last year on Steam after a 20 year hiatus...

I think the "keep it simple" mantra is a good one as the desire to include everything is very strong.  The model we have been using is to start with is include as much as we can think of to start...and then scale back from there.  This lets you capture the best elements in the core game and identifies the other areas where expansions are possible.

Offline WallyTWest

• Scientist
  • 'Lux Mundi'
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2016, 08:41:42 PM »
Same concept we used in boardgame design- kill your pretties.

Offline Dezmond

• Scientist
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2016, 12:21:42 PM »
Suggestions for sci-fi themed Special Agents

Super Soldier

'At least I got to see a Space Marine before the end'

UNSC Spartans. The Adeptus Astartes of the Imperium of the Emperor of Mankind. The Doomguy. Light the blue touch paper and retire to a safe distance.

Action Hero
Dodge
Sprint
Rugged

Cybernetic Armour
Double barrelled shotgun, Rocket launcher

Survivor

'Who's Snow White?'
'She's supposed to be some kind of consultant. Apparently she saw an alien once'

They survived the original incident and fought their way to safety. Now they are going back in with the THRESHOLD team to finish the job.

Hates nonhuman lurkers

Mining Suit
Repurposed mining and construction equipment

Honourable Alien Warrior

'I can save these people! Help me!'
'Many have said that. But you are the first I believe could do it!'

Disenchanted with the leaders of his people he has forged an alliance with his former enemies to foil their schemes to bring forwards the End Times

Alien Armour
Lightning gun

Corp Executive

'I work for the company. But don't let that fool you I am really an okay guy'

Roll a dice before game - on a poor roll the THRESHOLD agents are forced to take along a representative of The Company to safeguard their investment.

He is a brave and resourceful ally who can do much to aid them in their mission.

Handyman

'Your plastic pal who's FUN to be with!'

Able to carry massive weights and repair most equipment but with behavioural limiters that prevent them from making violent actions. Said safety limiters constantly fail so handymen are also a common lurker type.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 01:06:45 PM by Dezmond »

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2016, 02:54:04 PM »
Dez, that stuff is pure gold.

Offline WallyTWest

• Scientist
  • 'Lux Mundi'
« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2016, 06:46:37 PM »
Kinda disagree with the inclusion of alien allies...

Deadspace; part of the "horror" is exploring the cosmos and finding out that although there is evidence of alien civilization- we are alone. And the only thing in the dark that we found... Is us, or worse than us, or incomprehensible and Inchemical to human existence.

It's a dark uncaring universe.