Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:18:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690716
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 839
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Martian airship under construction (Added to store, page 6)  (Read 24428 times)

Offline fergal

• Mad Scientist
    • Crossover Miniatures
Alright, more railings.  Added the walkway with more railings and decking.   I also added a bit of detail to the bottom of the mast.  I'll likely try and add another ring to give it a bit more depth.  I've finished the back deck, but I'm still waiting for the glue to dry.

Offline Blodwin

• Scientist
Great project - love the crows nest - following this with interest

Blodwin

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
Simply fantastic (in both senses of the term).  I look forward to seeing it completed and crewed.

Offline fergal

• Mad Scientist
    • Crossover Miniatures
Thanks Blodwin, I've already redesigned it, but just so it will fit better, it still looks the same. :)

So here is the entire top level of decks in a test fit to see if I got the railing correct.  I think I've got it, I'm going to change how they meet so I can place the walkway easier, but otherwise, pretty good fit.

I also added some 'rigging' to see how it went.  It will cause a bit of a redesign of the crows nest and some other pieces I'm going to make to attach the ropes to.

Front view

Rear view

Test MDF propeller, not to shabby.  I've already got two more dynamic designs ready to cut. The next design step is going to be getting the propellers created and added to the side of the back deck.

I'm getting really close to final version of this unit!  Lot's of small details to get to once I get the general body done.  Until next time...

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
Been following this thread with interest. It looks a bit wonky to me... but hey, that is a GOOD thing!  :D

A couple questions for you:

Are you going to add any more structure above that huge deck, more precisely on the aft section?

How do you plan to base this behemoth? Won't the keel get in the way?

Overall though, keep up the great work. Those railings came out jolly good!

Offline fergal

• Mad Scientist
    • Crossover Miniatures

A couple questions for you:

Are you going to add any more structure above that huge deck, more precisely on the aft section?

Thanks Ray.  Nope the decks will remain clear for plenty of swashbuckling action, more room to play.  It's my understanding that seafaring races would float a boat and then build upwards.  So skyfaring races would build a ship and then not be constrained by the same limits, so building downwards from the deck is the way they went on Mars. :)

How do you plan to base this behemoth? Won't the keel get in the way?

I have a sheet of clear acrylic that's just begging to be cut.  I have yet to attempt laser cutting acrylic, but the base will be built first in MDF, then once I know the dimensions, I'll create it out of clear acrylic.  Though I'm thinking once I've painted the final version, it will most likely hang from the ceiling in my basement :)  Unless my wife let's me pop it on the mantle in the living room, so most likely the basement...

Overall though, keep up the great work. Those railings came out jolly good!

Cheers, thanks for the q's and kind words!  This is the most fun I've had in the hobby for years, I'm really enjoying it.

Offline fergal

• Mad Scientist
    • Crossover Miniatures
Alright, cut the newest version of the bridge deck last night and glued it on.  Man, that keel is pointy!

The major design is solid, so I've started to add some details to the ship now, trying break up the large flat spaces here and there.

I moved the crows nest back a bit so it didn't interfere with the rigging and added some caps to the masts.

Been playing with some interesting ways to tie the rigging to the hull.  This idea is currently in the lead, I think it adds some visual interest/style to the back of the ship.

My experiments in creating a cool propeller are still advancing, but have a ways to go.  Here is the latest version.

More to come before too long...
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 01:35:06 PM by fergal »

Offline Rabbitz

• Mad Scientist
    • Unit57
Re: Martian airship under construction (full boat shots Oct-18)
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2015, 02:37:23 PM »
Looking great.   If only these were available to buy
Integrity is non negotiable

My little blog

www.unit57inminiature.blogspot.com.au

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2015, 03:13:55 PM »
Liking the progress  :)

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
Been playing with some interesting ways to tie the rigging to the hull.  This idea is currently in the lead, I think it adds some visual interest/style to the back of the ship.

Ah ha! That is the kinda thing I was referring to.

Perhaps it is a bit understated though, given the rest of the ship's dimensions.

What-ever... looking very nice.

Offline fergal

• Mad Scientist
    • Crossover Miniatures
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2015, 08:32:06 PM »

Looking great.   If only these were available to buy

The great thing about laser cutting this is that it's totally reproducible.  I'm planning on making a second version for myself, sort of a sister ship to this one.  I could be persuaded to sell one or two, but I'm not setup for production and they would likely be expensive, I'll have to see how many sheets of material I can get the final one down to. 

Thanks Jimbibly, I appreciate the compliment from someone as skilled as yourself :)

Quote from: Ray Rivers

Perhaps it is a bit understated...

My favorite kind of statement!  8)  There's lots more coming, just one more 'have to' before I start the 'because it looks cool' stuff.  I'll also be open to ideas from the crowd as I'm not normally the nautical sort.  Once I've done everything I can think of, I'll open the floor for suggestions.

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2015, 09:40:33 PM »
I could be persuaded to sell one or two, but I'm not setup for production and they would likely be expensive,

How expensive?

How about just PDF blueprints - to see if we can get them cut locally?
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline fergal

• Mad Scientist
    • Crossover Miniatures
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2015, 10:11:33 PM »
How expensive?

How about just PDF blueprints - to see if we can get them cut locally?

Unfortunately fastolfrus, I run a hobby business and I've got a recently purchased multi thousand dollar laser to pay for, so I'll likely sell the whole thing rather than the plans.  I'm just not to the point of thinking about it yet as the final project isn't finished. 

Offline fergal

• Mad Scientist
    • Crossover Miniatures
« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2015, 01:36:47 PM »
Just whipped up a few details yesterday to see how they look.

The first one is a set of rigging mounts for the front, I based them on the rear ones, but they also look a little horn like as well.

These two details seem solid, but I think I will want to change them slightly.  I think the hatches on the side could be a little smaller.   I also think I will decrease the number of rivets/bolts on the keel reinforcement.

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2015, 07:48:51 PM »
WOW this is looking great - sorry I have not commented before - but only just seen it.

Good luck with the build.

Tony