Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 07:27:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689774
  • Total Topics: 118294
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Martian airship under construction (Added to store, page 6)  (Read 24379 times)

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
Re: Martian airship under construction (full boat shots Oct-18)
« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2015, 07:56:29 PM »
You know...

"...I bet it takes about an hour and 15 minutes of actual cutting time on the laser..."

...doesn't sound like much, but then you imagine someone producing them en masse.

I'm starting to be a bit sad as to how much I assume you'll have to charge. And, that time is without the added details to which I've waxed lyric. *sigh*

Did you ever consider beveling the top 20-25mm to vertical on the rear hull?  lol

Doug

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2015, 09:58:56 PM »
Unfortunately fastolfrus, I run a hobby business and I've got a recently purchased multi thousand dollar laser to pay for, so I'll likely sell the whole thing rather than the plans.  I'm just not to the point of thinking about it yet as the final project isn't finished. 

Fair enough. When you said you "might sell one or two" it didn't read quite so commercially minded.
I'd still be interested to know the price.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline fergal

• Mad Scientist
    • Crossover Miniatures
« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2015, 03:23:40 PM »
No worries Fastolfrus.  Right now things are scattered across many different files and to get an idea of how much effort and time it takes to run the off, I'll have to everything optimized.  I won't be able to do that until it's finalized and I know exactly what goes on the thing and how many I need.  So the process goes like this,

• finish making EVERYTHING that goes on the model
  • add board planking details to all pieces
  • optimize files using every possible piece of space on a board and making sure not to forget anyting
  • cut and assemble the final version, while recording it so there are instructions for others
  • then calculate price
  • Somewhere along the line, weigh the final as pieces so I can figure out shipping prices/methods

I've had a look around at some other laser cut places and I don't think it will be outside of what folks seem to be paying for laser cut stuff.  I'm just a cheap bugger and have a hard time coming up with prices... 

I created the propeller mounts yesterday and I'm ready to cut those, likely tomorrow as I have to do the day job today, then onto the second job teaching a night class after that.  Not many big decisions to go after that...

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2015, 04:29:28 PM »
No, the problem is I'M just a cheap bugger, and am daunted by their admittedly reasonable prices.  :D

Fair enough. When you said you "might sell one or two" it didn't read quite so commercially minded.
I'd still be interested to know the price.

Even so, so say we all!

Doug

Offline fergal

• Mad Scientist
    • Crossover Miniatures
« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2015, 12:50:02 PM »
Couldn't help myself, got home at 10pm last night and fired up the laser to try out the latest addition, so a few hours later we have propellers!

You can't have a boat without propellers right? Or sails, but we won't mention those...

I've been trying hard to make a more 3D propeller, but all of my experiments have been to delicate to warrant on a piece that is supposed to be used for gaming.  Here are the new propeller mounts.  EVENTUALLY they will be slotted into the main side panel of the aft deck, I created these extra panels just so I can test fit them and see where they look best.  I think the aesthetic will be greatly improved once they are added on the main panel.

Still trying to decide on the length of the propeller shaft.

View from the front

We wouldn't be grown men playing with toys if we didn't wonder if it spun...

Here's a whacky idea I had to see if I could stretch a rubber band between the two propeller shafts to add some 'realism' to the workings of the propeller.  I'm not sure if the added complication is worth the effect?

I wasn't totally happy with the hatches that I created for the midship section, so I made them a bit smaller.  I also ended up putting one on wonky last time so I created this guide to make sure they were straight in the future.

And lastly I had a play around with an 'anchor' for the ship.  I imagine that airships need more of a grappling hook to capture trees or large buildings to hold them in place, so this is what I came up with.

That's all for now, sorry so pic heavy but it's hard to get perspective on these new additions with my simple camera.

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2015, 01:13:34 PM »
Couldn't help myself, got home at 10pm last night and fired up the laser to try out the latest addition, so a few hours later we have propellers!

About you getting your rest... Oh, right, crazy MechaKong.

Quote from: fergal
You can't have a boat without propellers right? Or sails, but we won't mention those...

As this is the decidedly Space 1889 vibe, the ships were either/or.

I've been trying hard to make a more 3D propeller, but all of my experiments have been to delicate to warrant on a piece that is supposed to be used for gaming.  Here are the new propeller mounts.  EVENTUALLY they will be slotted into the main side panel of the aft deck, I created these extra panels just so I can test fit them and see where they look best.  I think the aesthetic will be greatly improved once they are added on the main panel.

I REALLY think you can get by with just possibly shading the 'scoop' of the propeller to give impression of depth. RE: Rubber bands. If we need spinning, most of us will go with demountable clear disks.

I also ended up putting one on wonky last time so I created this guide to make sure they were straight in the future.

Oh, HELL YEAH!

And lastly I had a play around with an 'anchor' for the ship.  I imagine that airships need more of a grappling hook to capture trees or large buildings to hold them in place, so this is what I came up with.

That's all for now, sorry so pic heavy but it's hard to get perspective on these new additions with my simple camera.

Not sure, but several small anchors might even be better. Some could be in harpoon guns, with jagged spikes to fire in to rock walls, and...

I think I'll have a lie down.

Seriously, I should just print out ALL the piccies, so I can finally get my full impression of the changes you've been making. I'm sure subtlety has been lost on me me SOMEWHERE!  ;D

Doug

Offline fergal

• Mad Scientist
    • Crossover Miniatures
Re: Martian airship under construction (propellers added Oct 21)
« Reply #51 on: October 22, 2015, 04:41:52 AM »
Too much?  Tried to make a Kort Nozzle for the propellers and add a rudder.  I'm not sure if I like it yet.

I have to pick up a small doll rod tomorrow and make the ship's wheel, then that's it.  I think it's finished...

Time to start optimizing the files.

Already thinking about a version with a couple of sails...
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 04:43:29 AM by fergal »

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #52 on: October 22, 2015, 08:21:50 AM »
Although I like that design a lot I think it's too much for this build, I would possibly suggest a single rudder at the back like a normal ship?

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline jon_1066

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #53 on: October 22, 2015, 09:06:38 AM »
Fantastic build.  I love it all - those rudder thingies look the bees knees as well.

My only comment would be if you can get the propeller bodies parallel?  Because your rear is tapered the propellers don't appear to be  "square".  Can you shorten the front support arm to make them square? 

Offline fergal

• Mad Scientist
    • Crossover Miniatures
« Reply #54 on: October 22, 2015, 01:19:31 PM »
Although I like that design a lot I think it's too much for this build, I would possibly suggest a single rudder at the back like a normal ship?

cheers

James

Thanks for the input James, I really like the design, but think it might be a bit much as well.

Quote from: jon_1066

Fantastic build.  I love it all - those rudder thingies look the bees knees as well.

My only comment would be if you can get the propeller bodies parallel?  Because your rear is tapered the propellers don't appear to be  "square".  Can you shorten the front support arm to make them square? 

This has really bothered me too, but everything is so square right now.  :) I'm going to have a play around with a variant or two.  The problem is that I tried to give the body some dynamic shaping and the side panel tapers back and inward at the bottom.  So I can experiment with a few mounts to put on the side to socket the current propeller mounts in, see if that works.  Hopefully it will.  If not, the fact that the current one fits together so well will give me solace when I look at angled ones. :)

Offline fergal

• Mad Scientist
    • Crossover Miniatures
« Reply #55 on: October 23, 2015, 01:16:40 PM »
Alright Jon_1066, this is all your fault.  I wasn't able to look at the current build with the propellers angled in and ignore them anymore.  So, about three hours of making my brain hurt trying to figure out how to get something square  out of MDF starting from something angled down and in, and I think I figured it out.

I've added mounts to the side of the aft deck to attach the propeller drivers with.  It took a little bit of trial and error, but they are square now.

The mounts above are not really structurally necessary as they don't bare any weight, but they work as well.  Slightly more fiddly than I like, but I think the over all effect is worth it.

A couple of shots of the finished product.

Here's a few shots of the various incarnations of this mount.  I'm very glad to be done with it!   

Now, just a rudder to go...

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #56 on: October 23, 2015, 02:12:18 PM »
As a contrary voice, I personally prefer the rudders, two, each behind the propellers. Proper British gentleman of the time would sneer at the term, but 'vectored thrust', don't you know. I've never thought of these things moving fast enough that a stand-alone rudder being much use.

Not that MY reality should EVER be substituted for someone else's.

Doug

Offline jon_1066

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #57 on: October 23, 2015, 03:25:46 PM »
Looking great!

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #58 on: October 24, 2015, 12:36:46 AM »
Very impressive. :o

Offline fergal

• Mad Scientist
    • Crossover Miniatures
« Reply #59 on: October 25, 2015, 03:55:15 AM »
Alright, final design is ready to go.

I found a more streamlined rudder design that is stable enough for me to be happy with it.

I simplified my kort nozzle design as the rings on the kort nozzle used almost an entire sheet of MDF all by themselves.  I think I like this design better.

And I built a stand, time to get more acrylic so I can cut it out of a clear material.

Tomorrow I cut out an entire ship to see just how long it takes and to make sure I have everything as it should be on the files.  I bough some boxes for shipping as well, so not to long now before everything is in place.