Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:32:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689617
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Airship Carrier?  (Read 13978 times)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
Airship Carrier?
« on: January 10, 2007, 07:56:54 PM »
I got an idea the other day, just before falling to sleep:

A pulpish construction consisting of two Zeppelin bodies with a platform between them to hold a few airplanes. Perhaps as the mobile base for some pirates... (I imagine the US Rocket Corps having to free some hostages from there).

It would need a catapult to see the planes off, and of course a catching device to stop landing ones.

Now I just have to find the right kind of bottles for this... any suggestions?
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
Airship Carrier?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 08:15:20 PM »
Richard A. Johnson
On Facebook: Rattrap on Facebook

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
Airship Carrier?
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 08:31:55 PM »
Oh, my, that's huge!

I am thinking of a piece that might also appear over a gaming table, though, so I'll have to keep it a bit smaller. Maybe I can build the Zeppelin bodies from plastic piping of some sort (we use different sizes for drains and the likes..)..

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
Airship Carrier?
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 08:57:04 PM »
Depending on how heavy you want it to be, you could probably get PVC pipe that could be used for your zeppelin portion. It can come in many different diameters up to 24" (62cm).

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
Airship Carrier?
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 09:29:02 PM »
When I last visited Denmark, I didnīt visit any grocery stores or supermarkets, so Iīm unsure what kind of bottles are available there.

I once built a Zeppelin for Crimson skies using full-cardboard construction, but for bottles, Iīd suggest either the PET Bottles 1.5 Litres for Mirinda Orange-flavour lemonade or the 2-litre Nestlé Aquarel.

Again, with a pinch of salt, because you might get different bottle designs abroad.

Generally, many one-way bottles have good, Zeppelin-usable shapes. If it is absolutely not possible to get decent-shaped bottles, I could send you a handful of bottles via mail, but due to size (weight would be less important, since Iīd empty them beforehand), Iīm afraid that would cost at least 9,-€ for Postage and Packing... really, last resort... or you pay the guys in Hamburg a visit and check with a supermarket on the way. :lol:

Really, I donīt want to be rude, but I canīt really believe that a) you donīt have any supermarkets in Denmark and b) those that exist donīt stock suitably-shaped bottles... ;) :)

Offline Big Guy

• Librarian
Bottles
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2007, 03:45:38 AM »
Bottles are the big problem, the supermarket I shop in has a house brand that  comes in very simple bottles, it takes three to get you a basic ballon and costs about $2.50 (I don't recommend drinking the stuff though)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
Airship Carrier?
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2007, 10:26:04 AM »
Quote from: "Westfalia Chris"

Really, I donīt want to be rude, but I canīt really believe that a) you donīt have any supermarkets in Denmark and b) those that exist donīt stock suitably-shaped bottles... ;) :)

Oh, we do have supermarkets, even Aldi and Lidl  :wink: , but Denmark has a 'Pfand'-system (can't remember the English word, so I use the German) and most large bottles are 'brand'-bottles (like, for example, Coca-Cola), and have peculiar shapes/protruding rims and the like.

I'll be looking around for some fruit-limonade bottles, I think... they are generally smoother... or else go for the PVC-tubes from the local hardware store.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
Re: Bottles
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2007, 10:33:38 AM »
Quote from: "Big Guy"
Bottles are the big problem, ....... (I don't recommend drinking the stuff though)

Exactly; my oldest daughter would probaly want to drink the contents and then a) get overly active (sugar-shock) b) develop some kind of allergy due to artificial colour or flavour...

MUST solve this, though. 2007 is now hereby declared official 'Pulp Year' on Funen!

Offline Poliorketes

• King of the Congo
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Never look back
Re: Bottles
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2007, 10:56:14 AM »
Quote from: "Argonor"

MUST solve this, though. 2007 is now hereby declared official 'Pulp Year' on Funen!

Is this a warning? ;)
I once rented an old cottage in a wood near Glamsbjerg, very Gothic feeling. I think Funen would be an ideal hideout for mad scientists, maybe the notorious Captain Nemo had a hideout near one of your old harbour towns? ;)
If you come for the king, you better not miss (Omar)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
Airship Carrier?
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2007, 11:24:43 AM »
Glamsbjerg is only some 20-odd km. from where I currently live (about 5 km. west of Ringe). Did you visit the Terrarium? Creepy!

I think the old dock in Svendborg (now officially a windmill-factory) might be a base for some evil mastermind planning to take over the world.... maybe those windmills are really something else....  :D

It's a promise, not a threat, though. I shall stake at least 5 pulp games this year, the first one is my next project (have to paint some 30-odd minis and finish some terrain, but hopefully I'll get there during February).

Offline Poliorketes

• King of the Congo
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Never look back
Airship Carrier?
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2007, 11:53:03 AM »
And maybe Helnaes isn't just a name but a hint on an extraplanar door?  :o  And Fünen is ruled by the Polser-Connection in reality.
I' getting silly, sorry  :mrgreen:

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
Airship Carrier?
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2007, 12:49:58 PM »
Did you guys know about the USS Macon?

The US Navy had an airship which had a few small fighters on board. It's an absolutely amazing airship. It even had a mini-airship called the "spy basket" which was connected to the main ship by a tether.

Again proving that while pulp is weird, sometimes history is even weirder!  :lol: [/url]

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
Airship Carrier?
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2007, 01:10:44 PM »
The "Macon" is a classic! I was given the Time-Life Book "The Airships" as a kid (some twenty years ago), in which the Akron and Macon had a multi-page spread feature, and when "Crimson Skies" first came out in 1997/98, I was overjoyed to see that they took this concept and applied it wholesale to a setting!

It also brought back fond memories of the superb and classic Mickey Mouse newspaper storyline by Floyd Gottfredson in which Mickey, as an intrepid mail pilot ("Come storm, come snow", etc.), thwarts the plans of an air pirate gang led by Peg-Leg Pete and operating from a 900-ft long airship! (Not to be confused with "Micky and the Air Pirates", though!)

Of course, a Zepp with internal hangars isnīt as visually attractive as one sporting a landing pad on twin hulls...

Finally, if you really canīt get hold of suitable bottles, why donīt you have a look at the Aerial Platforms from Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow, one of my favourite films? Those are, in effect, flat landing pads held aloft by giant propeller gondolas (and I assume some uplift-providing gas reservoirs hidden inside the structure).

Offline KeyanSark

• Mad Scientist
  • Lead for the Lead Mountain!
    • http://www.loresdelsith.net
Airship Carrier?
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2007, 01:43:12 PM »
Quote from: "Westfalia Chris"
Finally, if you really canīt get hold of suitable bottles, why donīt you have a look at the Aerial Platforms from Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow, one of my favourite films? Those are, in effect, flat landing pads held aloft by giant propeller gondolas (and I assume some uplift-providing gas reservoirs hidden inside the structure).

And definitely easier to model and store...
--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--
Keyan Sark - Coordinador de SithNET
SithNET - http://www.loresdelsith.net
TT - http://talisman.foro.st
http://displacedminiatures.com/keyansark
--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--

Offline W.B.Kurgan

• Scientist
Airship Carrier?
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2007, 01:48:45 PM »
The Zeppelin in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade had a Bi-plane attached underneath.
 :)

I think a Double-Airship aircraft carrier is a great idea Argonor. (Especially if it's a base for Artizan's Airship Pirates!) I look forward to seeing WIP photos!
Mein Flugzeug ist kaputt!