Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:59:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689725
  • Total Topics: 118291
  • Online Today: 810
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Alternative necromunda settings  (Read 3269 times)

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
Alternative necromunda settings
« on: October 05, 2015, 07:29:23 PM »
Seeing the thread about necromunda and the aternative frostgrave threads,got me thinking
What alternative settings/worlds/eras  you seen or played for necromunda
I fancied doing a neo Tokyo ,as it could be diverse ,with traditional families fighting for power and trade,yakuza protection or pimp gangs and biker gangs with leather jackets and outrageous hair .
Basically a modern day ronin I suppose ninjas and samurai with guns  :D

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
Re: Alternative necromunda settings
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 08:47:24 PM »
There's nothing stopping you from switching it to anything you like, off world colonies, mines become asteroid belts etc. There's tons of scope to alter it to any setting of your choosing and using any miniatures.
RP Tabletop Blog:

RP vlog channel: https://www.youtube.com/@RandomPlatypus

Offline Warren Abox

• Scientist
    • War In A Box - New Location!
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 10:46:48 PM »
My kids and I ran through a short mini-campaign set in a pulpy future, and in 15mm no less.  We called our version Not-romunda.  I've got
just the one battle report up on my blog. (Linky.)

Offline Hat Guy

• Mastermind
  • If you want peace, prepare for war.
    • Superhero Gaming Blog
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 11:01:17 PM »
Gang War and Necro Mag did a couple of alternate settings, such as the Ash Wastes and the Hindsk Hive. I've played games in both settings and they have a lot of character.

I played Necromunda for several years solid in the 2000s and I'd recommend Judge Dredd Miniatures Game for anyone looking for something with the same "feel", but way less clunky. Seriously, who even has Sustained Fire Dice anymore?  lol

Offline n815e

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 12:48:29 AM »
If you are interested in exploring alternate rules for a Neo-Tokyo setting then I suggest Rezolution.
Judge Dredd is also a good Necromunda type game that runs a bit smoother and gives greater variety of gangs.  Dredd was the inspiration for Necromunda.

If you like Necromunda, though, I say go for it.  Your idea sounds like something to run with and have fun.

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 10:05:38 AM »
I had the rules in the loft,but it was mainly the inter gang war idea
ninja as delaque
Sumo as Goliath
Samurai as Cawdor
Etc
But will look into judge dread an rezolution cheers.
Any excuse to buy more miniatures  ;)

Offline wolfen

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2015, 11:50:31 PM »
Planned a slightly more Wild West style/Firefly-esque campaign once. Would have used the same 40K weapons, necromunda rules etc. Converted up a gang using Black Scorpion Cowboy minis. Also bought Black Scorpion Apaches to use as Ratskins and had a bunch of cowgirls for Escher but never got weapons converted for them.

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2015, 07:23:24 AM »
Planned a slightly more Wild West style/Firefly-esque campaign once. Would have used the same 40K weapons, necromunda rules etc. Converted up a gang using Black Scorpion Cowboy minis. Also bought Black Scorpion Apaches to use as Ratskins and had a bunch of cowgirls for Escher but never got weapons converted for them.
Sounds interesting,I thought about a 40 k Logan's world style ,ork slavers or bandits water sellers,trade  caravans,dwarf miners and bus crews.

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2015, 09:43:48 AM »
How about Coruscant from the Star Wars Universe? I imagine there would be many unsavoury areas populated by gangs on such a heavily industrialised world. You could throw in Clone/Stormtroopers & the odd Jedi.

Come to think of it Tatooine wouldn't be a bad setting either.
Waiter, my soup is giggling.

Offline aliensurfer

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2015, 01:33:29 PM »
I always fancied doing a cross between necro rules and gorkmorka vehicle rules, then play a game where new(ish) settlers contest a planet/its resources etc. lowish tech for the most part (if basing it in the Rogue Trader universe), basic vehicles, raiding each others farms/mines etc.

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2015, 02:18:35 PM »
I was watching terra nova and that was also interesting dinosaurs,and 2 settlements at war.

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2015, 03:50:59 PM »
I wouldn't use the Necromunda rules for this, but I've thought about making a small, self-contained cyberpunk-style setting using only the Corporate Wars figures from East Riding Miniatures:

http://shop.eastridingminiatures.co.uk/corporate-wars-55-c.asp

They're very large for 28mm (Jim Bowen sculpts are like that) so they don't mix well with most figures from other ranges, hence the idea to keep it very self-contained. A small side project of limited ambition, nothing more. But I do wish there would be one or two additional factions (I'd like a second street gang and some anti-corporate "Liber8" style terrorists), a few mercenaries / free movers, a few extra poses per faction and some more variety in weaponry.
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino