Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 05:37:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690726
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: New "Fat Dragon Games" cardstock village  (Read 7095 times)

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
New "Fat Dragon Games" cardstock village
« on: November 13, 2008, 10:35:57 AM »
Didn't know the best place to post this, so opted for the good old stand-by of "Other"  lol.

Includes the following:

# Basic Street Tiles
# Old Town Church
# Brick Style Building (upper and lower floors)
# Stone Style Building (upper and lower floors)
# Stucco Style Building (upper and lower floors)
# Stone & Wood Style Building (upper and lower floors)
# Dormers
# Chimneys
# All buildings feature our exclusive Dragonstacks design
# Optional
# 2D tiles for each building

The "Steampunk roof complete with boiler and smoke stack" is especially appealing........

PDF only $9.99 [or $7.99 if you've previously bought any of their other products], it's a bargain in my eyes.

It has many uses, from medieval, through to 19thc and of course Fantasy. A lot of it would also be very useful in present day UK and North Europe.

I've just bought mine from here:

http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?cPath=587&products_id=58827

Offline itchy

• Mad Scientist
Re: New "Fat Dragon Games" cardstock village
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 10:42:48 AM »
looks great might just be what i need for my modern quiet english country village hot fuzz style .I have never built any card buildings how hard are they to do?

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 10:59:09 AM »
Holy heck, have you seen this bad lad from their Dwarf Dungeon set?

:o

Having a look through all their products I realised that if you got the village, and a bunch of the dungeon stuff, you could recreate Baldur's Gate on the tabletop. It would look great, given the CGI-ish look of the buildings etc.

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 11:42:10 AM »
looks great might just be what i need for my modern quiet english country village hot fuzz style .I have never built any card buildings how hard are they to do?

Actually a lot easier and quicker than other building types. Being card, it doesn't matter if you make a balls-up of it. Just chuck it in the recycling bin and print another. Either use thick card with card re-inforcement at strategic points, or print on paper and then glue to a suitable interior such as foamcore.

Fellow LAFer Audrey has an excellent tutorial here:

http://13threalm.com/blog/how-to-drive-yourself-insane-with-paper-terrain-and-foamcore

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 11:45:32 AM »
Holy heck, have you seen this bad lad from their Dwarf Dungeon set?

:o

Having a look through all their products I realised that if you got the village, and a bunch of the dungeon stuff, you could recreate Baldur's Gate on the tabletop. It would look great, given the CGI-ish look of the buildings etc.

Yes, I have that one too. It should be very quick and easy to build and you can have a table-full very cheaply if you want  :D

I'm hoping the buildings will look good next to the Worldworks Games stuff, which is also top-notch.

Offline Gwindel

• Lurker
    • http://www.gwindel.eu/index.html
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 04:35:26 PM »
If you want to have a try, here are a lot of very good free buildings:
http://onemonk.proboards89.com/index.cgi?board=newartists&action=display&thread=432

like those:

Cogito ergo hereticus

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 05:33:41 PM »
Most wonderful.  :o

Should make fine templates for some 3d buildings.  ;D

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008, 08:11:48 PM »
Those are rather nice, Gwindel.

Thanks for the URL - I will try some to see how they fit in with the ones i have  :)

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://anevilgiraffe.blogspot.com/
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2008, 10:24:09 AM »

strange that the go to the trouble of having internal floors for figure placement, and then attach the floor to the walls below.... would have made more sense to do it attached to the walls for that floor surely?

I don't like using stuff like this for UK villages... there is always something a little not right about it... like the Basil Rathbone Holmes movies with wood slatted colonial houses in the East End of London... and of course, no nice square blocks in UK villages... houses of that period are all sagging gables all over the place with outhouses and addons... no straight lines and right angles...

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2008, 10:59:21 AM »
Reservations regarding paper terrain or not... If I do not find a new job soon, I'll be looking at a lot of this kind of stuff on my gaming tables - I'll have to save my money for minis instead of expensive terrain (and, no, I'll be saving my time for gaming instead of scratch-building beautiful buildings).

We should have somewhere in here where lists of sources for different kinds of stuff could be compiled...  ???
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2008, 11:11:59 AM »
strange that the go to the trouble of having internal floors for figure placement, and then attach the floor to the walls below.... would have made more sense to do it attached to the walls for that floor surely?

I don't like using stuff like this for UK villages... there is always something a little not right about it... like the Basil Rathbone Holmes movies with wood slatted colonial houses in the East End of London... and of course, no nice square blocks in UK villages... houses of that period are all sagging gables all over the place with outhouses and addons... no straight lines and right angles...

Yes, you're right, that is a rather bizarre way to do it  ??? I suppose they would still be useable for having figures inside, but would just look very odd. It is feasible to print out extra sheets and then stick an extra wall onto the floors, inside the existing one, but it's a lot more hassle.

I agree that in an ideal world, we should use the sort of buildings that are built by the more talented people, but sadly for a variety of reasons I'll never be able to attain that level. Cheap and quick cardstock is my best option at present, so any reservations about realism etc will be happily ignored in Villa Maximus  ;)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2008, 01:15:54 PM »
I think, that if you somehow copy the windows into an image-editor, and then compilate them in a document and print them out as transparencies, you could cut out the windows and replace them with those - thus making minis inside visible from the outside.... just an idea, now that they actually HAVE inside floors (it doesn't make much sense on some of the Worldworks buildings, that do not have the interiors...).

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2008, 03:06:22 PM »
I think, that if you somehow copy the windows into an image-editor, and then compilate them in a document and print them out as transparencies, you could cut out the windows and replace them with those - thus making minis inside visible from the outside.... just an idea, now that they actually HAVE inside floors (it doesn't make much sense on some of the Worldworks buildings, that do not have the interiors...).

It's a good idea - if only I had a clue how to do all that with a computer  lol

Offline archangel1

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2008, 08:13:27 PM »
If you want to have a try, here are a lot of very good free buildings:
http://onemonk.proboards89.com/index.cgi?board=newartists&action=display&thread=432

Now, that's an impressive set of buildings! Excellent artwork.  Love the Toll Gate.  I've been collecting these things for years (got hundreds by now) and these are some of the best.  For free, too! Thanks for the link.

If you go to his own website, he's got combo PDF's of most of them.  Save you downloading everything if you're only interested in taverns, say.  (Of course, I found this out after I grabbed the lot!  ::) )

http://www.davesgames.net/wfrp2/
Why take Life seriously? You'll never get out of it alive!

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2008, 08:24:28 PM »
If you go to his own website, he's got combo PDF's of most of them.  Save you downloading everything if you're only interested in taverns, say.  (Of course, I found this out after I grabbed the lot!  ::) )

That makes two of us...  lol