Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:22:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686661
  • Total Topics: 118119
  • Online Today: 815
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: My FrostGrave thread...but first a question.  (Read 1902 times)

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
My FrostGrave thread...but first a question.
« on: October 10, 2015, 03:12:37 AM »
Got myself the frostgrave ebook (although seriously considering the print version, support your local fantasy merchant et all).

At first I couldn't think of a warband that stood out, there were several great options, but then thinking about another problem gave me the solution.

I am by my own admittance fickle when it comes to miniatures flitting from project to project, over the years i've realized small ones are best as I never have the drive to paint up huge forces, preferring small custom groups, mostly for painting over gaming.

Which leads me to my problem, i've seen many new historical releases i'd love to get but I lack the wallet/patience for a full army and have yet to see a skirmish system I like but then it hit me...Frostgrave!

At first I was just going tho do a themed warband based on one culture but then looking at the chronomancer and thinking back on the classic game Chrono trigger I thought, why not have a pic'n'mix of all the miniatures that catch my eye?

So on to my question, any recommendations for the chronomancer and his apprentice? Not a fan of the offical ones tbh, my only stipulations are no slotta base(going for flat lipped bases from warlord) and both male in 28mm.

Offline grendal

• Bookworm
Re: My FrostGrave thread...but first a question.
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2015, 12:30:05 PM »
My chronomancer is a rebased "the Doctor" from Heroclix.
A man with slightly fantasy-ish clothes with some kind of energy coming out of his hands.
(not Doctor Strange...but "The Doctor" from the wildstorm/image universe)

his apprentice...also a rebased heroclix...the ancient one. which oddly enough has a similar color scheme.

I figure a "master" chronomancer has the whole aging thing solved...his apprentice on the other hand....

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2015, 09:16:55 PM »
Interesting take with the 'younger' senior wizard.

I'm now reconsidering the chronomancer angle as upon closer inspection of the rules have realized that chronomancers can't have constructs straight off the bat.

I'm thinking the summoner is more suitable and i've come up woith some backstory to guide me;

Perhaps in the style of 'bioshock infinity' where the dimension traveler steals ideas from other places and brings them back to his 'home' plane to pass off as his own ideas, i'm sort of combining this with a bit of 'fluff' from the  golden compass series were people would age 'faster' when in a different dimension from that of their origin.

So my wizard appears older than he is from years of abuse of his powers, these days any lengthy ''expeditions/raids'' are generally led by his apprentice as w he now finds it takes longer and longer for the adverse effects of dimension travelling to wear off and during such periods he can be very vulnerable, that and he's a vain old git, he may be young internally but he does not relish looking decades older if even for a short while(somewhat like Howl from Howls moving castle).

As for finding a mini, it's been surprisingly hard but I think this fellow plus a green stuff skull cap(chrome, you gotta have it chrome for that retro wizard look) for the leader.

As for the apprentice i'm angling for a fellow with visible hair so I can paint it as graying to show the first sign of premature aging.

What does anyone think?

Offline tyrionhalfman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 06:18:15 AM »
Sounds like an interesting back story. Thanks for sharing.

If I'm understanding you right you plan on leaving your wizard out of games due to his health and vanity? If so that may put you at a disadvantage in a game which focuses on magic users?

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 11:21:22 AM »
Oh no, the wizard will obviously be making an appearance as the world of Frostgrave is his ''home'' dimension, was more thinking the boy gets sent off to recruit/kidnap/strong arm new warband members from other planes as he is still very young and thus can take the strain.

Really it's more just backstory and won't play a part in game(yet...perhaps).

Offline tyrionhalfman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2015, 05:20:28 PM »
Aah now I understand. I was worried you'd be hamstringing yourself