Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 10:49:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689787
  • Total Topics: 118296
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Otherworld Glorantha [Update] - Dragonewts  (Read 14389 times)

Offline psullie

• Scientist
    • Paul's Blog
Otherworld Glorantha [Update] - Dragonewts
« on: October 13, 2015, 10:22:28 AM »
Continuing my Big Rubble/Otherworld project I've started on the Uz. First up Trollkin, the lowest of trolls used primarily as fodder. Info and pics on the blog: http://www.posullivandesign.com/

« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 07:20:25 PM by psullie »

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
Re: RuneQuest Trollkin for Otherworld
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015, 01:09:29 PM »
They definitely look the part. Who makes the figures? Thank you for sharing!

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 01:28:38 PM »
Great to see these old miniatures get a new lease of life! Suitably Gloranthan colour schemes too: I note the bronze weapons.

(Arundel, these are from the old Citadel Runequest range. The trollkin also doubled up as night goblins - you can see them here, along with the dark troll, who served as a red goblin champion. Several of the other larger Runequest trolls featured as ogres in Citadel's mainstream range of the time.)

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2015, 03:42:38 PM »
Thank you, Hobgoblin! In some ways I prefer their look to that of the "official" trolls by Mad Knight, etc., though in the end both are great.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2015, 04:08:35 PM »
In some ways I prefer their look to that of the "official" trolls by Mad Knight, etc., though in the end both are great.

I know what you mean. When I was playing Runequest (my first fantasy game) as a nipper, I had no idea that the Uz were meant to have long muzzles and six nipples (or is it eight?). The descriptions in the RQ2 rulebook were notably sparse, and the few illustrations looked much more in line with Citadel's miniatures than with those in Trollpak, etc.

Incidentally, the tusk rider in Citadel's troll set has been identified, fairly convincingly, as the reason for their orcish cavalry moving from wolves to boars.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2015, 04:19:47 PM »
Incidentally, the tusk rider in Citadel's troll set has been identified, fairly convincingly, as the reason for their orcish cavalry moving from wolves to boars.

Weirdly the Goblins used to ride the boars, the Orcs used to ride the wolves. Then they decided to swap - a much more logical arrangement to my mind, allowing the lightly armed, bow-wielding wolf riders to act as light cavalry and scouts, whilst the more heavily armed boar riders were able to act as shock cavalry.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline psullie

• Scientist
    • Paul's Blog
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2015, 04:37:23 PM »
I just been informed that these chaps, and the rest of the Trolls form the early citadel range predate the Trollpak supplement which set the current style of muzzled trolls. Originally trolls were much more goblin like. I do like the newer style but I did not pick up any of the Mad Knight stuff before he shut down. :-(

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2015, 05:22:34 PM »
I just been informed that these chaps, and the rest of the Trolls form the early citadel range predate the Trollpak supplement which set the current style of muzzled trolls. Originally trolls were much more goblin like. I do like the newer style but I did not pick up any of the Mad Knight stuff before he shut down. :-(

That's very interesting. Both were 1982, but the Citadel boxed set was June, so probably did come first (there are some reviews of Trollpak in October and November 1982). This French blog post traces the evolution of the Gloranthan troll; interestingly, there are some muzzled trollkin in the original 1978 rulebook, but Luise Perrin subsequently drew them as much more traditional folkloric trolls in 1979 - and those ones look very much like Citadel's miniatures.

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2015, 02:03:30 AM »
Really interesting conversation! I have to admit in the 80s I had a much more goblin-esque picture of the trolls, derived from my second edition rule (with Perrin's illustrations), and was quite surprised when much later I saw the way trolls/trollkin were "supposed" to look. As I said above, I like both, but I might lean to my first picture given the option.

I didn't know Mad Knight had shut down. That's sad to hear! He had some nice things--I bought a lot of trolls/trollkin from him to flesh out my Runequest collection. Most were very nice sculpts (though I actually thought the Broos were the best of the lot).

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2015, 08:05:54 AM »
The discussion wouldn't be complete without mention of one of the great "what ifs" of Gloranthan miniatures: John Blanche's concept sketch for Citadel dark trolls of the post-Trollpak variety. It's in Heroes for Wargames.

As far as I know, these trolls went no further than the sketch stage, alas.

Offline psullie

• Scientist
    • Paul's Blog
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2015, 02:36:05 PM »
Thans for that, I'll have to dig out my copy - the Broo came out really well - those Trolls would have looked great

Arundel
He was looking for someone to takeover last year, but as far as I know no-one came forward and he had to close up.

Offline psullie

• Scientist
    • Paul's Blog
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2015, 10:48:48 AM »
More trolls for my Big Rubble game - this time Dark Trolls and their Cave Troll pet - more on the blog: http://www.posullivandesign.com

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
Re: RuneQuest - More Uz for Otherworld
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2015, 01:39:57 PM »
They look suitably menacing. I wouldn't want to stumble into their cave...

Just out of curiosity, where are you getting the figures? Trolling e-bay (snicker), part of your old collection?

Many thanks for sharing!

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2015, 01:54:05 PM »
While the various Troll Fellows may not be state of the art pieces, they possess an abundance of character, AND are all BEAUTIFULLY painted & based. OUTSTANDING WORK!
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline psullie

• Scientist
    • Paul's Blog
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2015, 10:28:47 PM »
Cheers for the kind comments guys.

Arundel, it's a bit of both - some I've had for a while, others are more recent 'trolling'

And more trolls, still moving up the Uz social ladder - this tim Great Trolls and Mistress Race Trolls. Moe on the blog: http://www.posullivandesign.com