Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:54:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Blood Eagle from The Ministry of Gentlemany Warfare  (Read 5505 times)

Offline wulfgar22

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog
Blood Eagle from The Ministry of Gentlemany Warfare
« on: October 14, 2015, 03:15:47 PM »
The Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare (authors of In Her Majesty's Name and Daisho) have started a Facebook page for their upcoming Viking skirmish game, Blood Eagle, due out sometime next year!

From the Facebook page:

"This has been set up to allow the designers and future players to discuss the game while it is still in development.

Blood Eagle is a new project by the Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare, using the core rules from In Her Majesty's Name and Daisho to allow people to play games in the legendary 9th and 10th centuries in Northern Europe."

Intended for warbands of around a dozen or so figures with 3 or 4 characters and several warriors, the game will include the mythical side of things. A provisional list of warbands includes: Danish Warbands, Frankish Patrols, Hiberno-Norse, Frost Giants, Irish Chieftains, Lord Uhtred, Jomsvikings, Pictish Raiders, Saxon Eorls, Scandinavian Jarls, Viking Raiders, Welsh Warbands and Heroes of Legend!

I am very much looking forward to this!

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: Blood Eagle from The Ministry of Gentlemany Warfare
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2015, 04:43:47 PM »
Thanks for the news.

Must admit, I would have thought after the craze for Saga and the various 'Dux' games over the last couple of years, not to mention Shieldwall, Valhalla and so on, the market for Viking era wargames rules would be pretty saturated for a while.
But I guess the authors have a good following for their other rule sets, so maybe...

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2015, 04:51:11 PM »
Somehow they invited me so it seemed to be impolite to turn them down :)

Could be very interesting :)

Darrell.

Offline Scorpio

• Scientist
  • justice wears a mask
    • Metal Skirmish
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2015, 04:11:55 PM »
Eager to see what they produce. They've got a good track record of fan-friendly games.
PMMDJ
http://metal-skirmish.blogspot.com/

"Seriously, there is an outrageous amount of running involved."

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2015, 05:28:43 PM »
Eager to see what they produce. They've got a good track record of fan-friendly games.

For me it's the feel of the game- does it have that Early Medieval feel to it that counts :)

I await to see what they produce :)

Darrell.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 05:31:19 PM by Atheling »

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2015, 11:07:39 AM »
Must admit, I would have thought after the craze for Saga and the various 'Dux' games over the last couple of years, not to mention Shieldwall, Valhalla and so on, the market for Viking era wargames rules would be pretty saturated for a while.

Dark ages are the new WW2.  ;)

From what I could gather, this ruleset is based on IHMN and thus the numbers are more likely to be 8 -12 per side, rather than the 50ish of Saga and Dux. Not seen Shieldwall or Valhalla. IHMN is verging on the rpg, whereas Saga and Dux are more traditional wargames, to me at any rate, so they should give a different experience. This is me just surmising based on my experience of these games, I know absolutely nothing concrete about the plans.

Offline wulfgar22

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2015, 09:11:01 PM »
Dark ages are the new WW2.  ;)

From what I could gather, this ruleset is based on IHMN and thus the numbers are more likely to be 8 -12 per side, rather than the 50ish of Saga and Dux. Not seen Shieldwall or Valhalla. IHMN is verging on the rpg, whereas Saga and Dux are more traditional wargames, to me at any rate, so they should give a different experience. This is me just surmising based on my experience of these games, I know absolutely nothing concrete about the plans.

You're right. Craig has confirmed on the FB page that it will be a few main characters and around half a dozen or so warriors, the same as IHMN.

Offline Paboook

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2015, 11:30:47 PM »
I'm curious which new ideas has The Ministry of Gentlemany Warfare brought into their gaming system. I am sure we won't be dissapointed  ;)

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Youth & Talent are no match for Age and Treachery.
    • The Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2015, 11:54:26 AM »
Hello Gentlemen and Ladies,

The concept for Blood Eagle is to produce a skirmish game for 5-15 figures that captures the feel of the 9th-10th century period.

Like its stablemate Daisho the game will be playable at three levels:
• Historical; just using the standard arms, armour and abilities.
• Heroic; adding heroes and heroism to the mix.
• Legendary; adding everything else including mystical powers and legendary creatures.

All of the heroic abilities and mystical powers are based on those you can find in the literature of the period and is what the people thought were real or that could happen. So we are not going off on a D&D-style romp.

We are currently writing up the first dozen of so warbands, and these include:
•   Danish Warband
•   Frankish Patrol
•   Hiberno-Norse
•   Frost Giants
•   Irish Chieftain
•   Lord Uhtred
•   Jomsvikings
•   Pictish Raiders
•   Saxon Thegn
•   Scandinavian Jarl
•   Viking Raiders
•   Welsh Warband
There may be more, depending upon on the space we have left.

Future expansions may take us into the realms of the Rus, down to the Mediterranean and even across the Atlantic.

Add to these such legendary creatures as the Jotun (frost giants), trolls, svartalf, Grendel, Fafnir, the Sidhe etc., for those that want them.

Like IHMN and Daisho, there shall be a supporting blog which will host lots of extra material both written by us and by players of the game. We hope to be active both here and on the dedicated Facebook page so people can contribute to the game as it develops and after it launches.
My sincerest contrafibularities
General Lord Craig Arthur Wellesey Cartmell (ret'd)
https://theministryofgentlemanlywarfare.wordpress.com/

Offline charla51

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2015, 12:39:12 PM »
Spread eagle?

Offline Ray Earle

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2015, 01:13:19 PM »
Spread eagle?

Pub?  ;)

Look forward to this and watching it develop. Have started to convert figures for my Jomsviking already.  :D
Ray.

"They say I killed six or seven men for snoring. It ain't true. I only killed one man for snoring."

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2015, 02:33:49 PM »
Really interesting stuff and good that you've taken it into the realms of the imagination.

Will there be more Norse Mythological themes to the warbands?

Darrell.