Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:35:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: solo rules  (Read 1875 times)

Offline Scott

• Bookworm
solo rules
« on: October 16, 2015, 12:24:55 AM »
Dear Lead-Adventurers:

I'm seeking any suggestions for good solo rules? I've been playing THW's Dungeon Crawl. But as much as I like All Things Zombie, I don't find dungeon crawl as entertaining.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

--Scott

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Mastermind
    • ZeroTwentythree
Re: solo rules
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2015, 03:41:12 AM »
Large battles or small skirmishes? I've been trying to sort out solo gaming battles and have started leaning towards Hail Caesar, using Ady's Shadow Storm add-on fantasy rules. My plan is to give comanders programmed personalities... Cautious, Aggressive, etc. plus tailored scenarios. Combined with the leadership rolls, I'm hoping i can keep one side nearly on autopilot.

I have never read/played any of the Piquet games, but I am very curious now about the fantasy rules, and have heard they are readily adapted for solo play.

Offline Scott

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2015, 01:14:26 PM »
Dear Mr. Twentythree:

I'm sorry, I should have specified that. I'm mostly looking at D&D type campaigning, the small band of intrepid adventurer types.

I have toyed with the idea of large battles, but the large amount of figure painting always puts me off. The Piquet rules look interesting though, if I ever did decide to do that.

Thanks.

--Scott

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2015, 02:23:46 PM »
Hi Scott,

You might want to take a look at Song of Blades and Heroes by Ganesha Games. They have an expansion for dungeon bashing called Song of Gold and Darkness. I'm doing this from memory, but I think there are some rules for solo gaming in the supplement. They are good set of rules and a lot of fun.

Daryl

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2015, 02:53:48 PM »
I hate my solo opponent. That guy cheats, lies, and will do anything to win. Bastard.
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline warlord frod

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2015, 03:09:45 PM »
I hate my solo opponent. That guy cheats, lies, and will do anything to win. Bastard.

lol lol lol

Solo D&D is the easiest form of solo gaming because you can randomize the dungeon and its denizens and use the standard rules. The trick is to honestly play the monster and attack your party as if you really want them to loose. I guess the real question is what kind of rules are you interested in. Fast and easy or Standard D&D difficult?

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2015, 03:35:17 PM »
Have you looked at boardgames? The D&D boardgames (I think ther are three, Castle Ravenloft, something with Drizz't and another one) which use simplified 4E rules and are played solo IIRC. There's also the classic Warhammer Quest if you can find it. You can do a search on BoardGameGeek.com for solor and dungeon crawler games. Super Dungeon Explore also has solo/coop rules with it's expansion if you like the Chibi style.

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2015, 04:43:03 PM »

Offline warlord frod

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2015, 06:48:19 PM »
Head over here and you can find a number of simple rule sets under fantasy.

http://freewargamesrules.wikia.com/wiki/Rules