Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:27:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686664
  • Total Topics: 118120
  • Online Today: 817
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Plastic Medieval Russians from FireForge 151202 Alexander Nevsky WIP pic.  (Read 18176 times)

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
Y'know, I'm looking at one half-converted high elf spearman right now - with legs resculpted into sane proportions and hands to follow - and all the other spearmen to do for Dragon Rampant, and I'm wondering if it'd be easier to take Engel's suggestion, pop the heads off, and stick them on these guys.

Might still have to resculpt the hands, though.  >:D ;)

Offline Matakakea

• Scientist
I might have to buy some of these for Lion Rampant. I'm also having thoughts about minor conversions for Dragon Rampant too.
I'm not a mercenary. Killing's more of a hobby for me.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
You just reminded me of the High Elves I started about 5 years ago while we were moving to our current home. Combined with Dragon Rampant coming out soon, hmmm...
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline LordOdo

• Mastermind
    • StormToren (my wargame blog)
Re: Plastic Medieval Russians from FireForge Games
« Reply #48 on: November 01, 2015, 03:43:58 PM »
Lannisters!
 :D

I think I'll use them actually for Targaryens; the scaly armour reminds me of dragons :)
''Its so much easier to build something new than work up the courage to actually paint some.'' -Wyrmalla (2015)

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
What century are these supposed to be from? Can't say I know a thing about medieval Russian armour!

Offline Longshanks

• Schoolboy
I can't say that I know much about Russian armor either, but considering they are marking a Nevsky figure and they have Teutonic and Mongol ranges for the 13th century, I'm going to guess they are based on the same period

Offline Dalauppror

• Mastermind
  • www.dalauppror.blogspot.com
    • Dalauppror Wargamingblog
Hi

Battle of Neva was 1240 against Swedish Crusaders and Battle of Lake Peipus was 1242 against Teutons with friends.

The minis woul work at least a couple of hundred years erlier (mix with Gripping beast Vikings to get stunning Rus) to and well in to the 15th century, at least for me.

Best regards Michael

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
Hi

Battle of Neva was 1240 against Swedish Crusaders and Battle of Lake Peipus was 1242 against Teutons with friends.

The minis woul work at least a couple of hundred years erlier (mix with Gripping beast Vikings to get stunning Rus) to and well in to the 15th century, at least for me.

Best regards Michael

The Battle of Neva might have actually never taken place:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Neva

Or it was just a small (border) [there really wasn't an established border at those times] skirmish. In the skirmish there were supposedly Novgorodians and Karelians against Swedish, Tavastians (semi-pagan-Christian Finns at that point), Finns (Christian Finns from SW part of Finland with bishop of Turku leading them) and even Norwegians(!).

Anyhow, like Michael wrote, these are good for until at least the early 15th century. Hopefully there will be some plastic cavalry as well soon.

Offline Gandalf the G

• Librarian
Anyhow, like Michael wrote, these are good for until at least the early 15th century. Hopefully there will be some plastic cavalry as well soon.

Since resin cavalry of a few different flavors are already part of the "kickstarter", I doubt that they will do any in plastic.

Offline Dalauppror

• Mastermind
  • www.dalauppror.blogspot.com
    • Dalauppror Wargamingblog

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
Re: Plastic Medieval Russians from FireForge 151202 Alexander Nevsky WIP pic.
« Reply #55 on: December 02, 2015, 10:08:45 AM »
I'm sorry, but I think that horse's head needs to be redone ASAP.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #56 on: December 02, 2015, 10:42:07 AM »
I'm sorry, but I think that horse's head needs to be redone ASAP.

Given that this is going to be a resin model all the added detail is too coarse and bulky. The shield icon must be about 8" thick in scale. Looks like it has been done in preparation for the loss of detail /sharpness that results from plastic casting.

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
« Reply #57 on: December 02, 2015, 02:43:45 PM »
I think all the figures are beauties. The Turkish/Eastern influence on Russian armor has always made it look exotic and interesting and cool. I also think the effect on the tabletop of the bas relief shields and banners will be stunning and fun to paint as well. I've always wanted to game the Mongols' invasion in the West, and this looks like a great opportunity! I'm much more interested in this personally than in battling the Teutonic Knights.

My only lament is that there doesn't seem to be an accompanying Mongol supplement for Deus Vult or it's skirmish variant being previewed with the Forgestarter--unless I've missed it somehow. It's odd that there is basically a full Mongol range and no rules for Mongols! I feel like part of what could help this campaign is marketing the history a little better (or at all) and this would have been a good way to do it.

Incidentally, Medieval Warfare magazine is doing a relevant Mongol Conquest of Europe issue this month with some stunning and inspiring artwork. Check out that awesome armor!

http://www.karwansaraypublishers.com/shop/catalog/product/gallery/id/677/image/1247/

That's a Mongol heavy cavalry and Russian knight locked in combat  ;D

« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 03:46:33 PM by axabrax »

Offline Paboook

• Scientist
« Reply #58 on: February 06, 2016, 01:59:03 PM »
It's odd that there is basically a full Mongol range and no rules for Mongols! I feel like part of what could help this campaign is marketing the history a little better (or at all) and this would have been a good way to do it.

How about these? Army list for Deus Vult: Novgorod Republic; Army list for Deus Vult: The Mongol Horde.

http://fireforge-games.com/downloads/category/3-deus-vult-armi-lists

Offline delbruck

• Scientist
« Reply #59 on: February 06, 2016, 03:15:57 PM »
I am disappointed to see the Druzhina  will be resin. If these were in plastic they might have been a great complement to the Gripping Beast cavalry boxes.