Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:57:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686636
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Robotech RPG Tactics using Mecha! from Seventh Games  (Read 1187 times)

Offline Davros

• Librarian
Robotech RPG Tactics using Mecha! from Seventh Games
« on: October 18, 2015, 05:41:17 PM »
I wondering if anyone remembers Mecha! from Seventh Street Games,

Mecha! is a tabletop miniature wargame published by American game publisher Seventh Street Games (now Flagship Games) in 1993. As its name implies, Mecha! is a game featuring gigantic mecha (towering war machines piloted by humans) that allows players to simulate raging battles on land, air, sea and space. The game is currently available via download from Scale Creep and has anyone tried adapting Robotech RPG tactics to it.

Contents
 Game Description
 Setting
 Expansion Sets
 External links

Game

The ruleset is based on six-sided and ten-sided dice and uses inches for movement and range measurements. Energy points are renewed every game turn based on the structural integrity (i.e. energy) and allocated to actions such as: movement, attack, and defense. Structural integrity is tied to the energy point supply, and damaged vehicles find themselves able to do less and less. Critical damage is also possible, leading to an immediate (and messy) destruction.

Another interesting and unique feature of the system is the use of "Battlepoles", these were rods segmented into six 5 inch parts which were used to position the Mechas! at their relative altitudes and added a unique 3D feature to the game. These items could be built by the players or bought from Seventh Street Games as a deluxe set made of clear plastic which greatly enhanced the playing experience (and saving players some hours of work).

The game was intended to be played with actual model kits ranging from 1/100 to 1/300 in scale (standard scale was 15mm or 1/100), these were not produced by the company but they were intended to be purchased, adapted, built and painted by the players from commercial available kits of series such as Gundam, Macross and other mecha, actually the Canadian magazine "Mecha Press" published various articles where the writers used 1/144 mecha kits and the living room floor as battlefield.

In addition to the mecha themselves, the game supports more conventional forces including tanks, fighters and infantry in powered armor. Other features include three-dimensional air and space combat (using five Levels), rules for increasing crew experience, three campaign systems, a mechanical design system and several generic battle scenarios.

Setting:

The system was intended to be generic and the rulebook included a number of scenarios which could be adapted to any story. However, the authors also included its own "Azteca Sourcebook and setting" depicting a fictional Aztec Mecha World a universe based on the Aztec Mythology, they turned the Gods into Giant Machines which ruled and fought for the dominance of an alternate Mexican Empire. Later, a sourcebook and several resin miniatures would be released to support this setting.
 Expansion Sets

The game received an official expansion, Spirit Warrior Empire, in 1995. The focus of this supplement are the Azteca, a space-faring race whose holdings comprise what is now known as the Spirit Warrior Empire. The book featured more missions, new mecha designs, and the complete history of the Azteca and their portion of known space.

Here is a link for to download the rules
http://www.scalecreep.com/catalog/index.php

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: Robotech RPG Tactics using Mecha! from Seventh Games
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2015, 05:51:15 PM »
Never played mecha, but the rules from Robotech Tactics haven't attracted me much, so I'll end up using something else, or something homebrew.  If you try it out, let us know - post some battle reports.

EDIT: After looking at the book art, I used to have that book!  That was back...15 years ago and I didn't have anything to game with it, but the aztec mecha reminded me.  Pretty cool. 
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 05:53:11 PM by Elbows »
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Davros

• Librarian
Re: Robotech RPG Tactics using Mecha! from Seventh Games
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2015, 06:06:12 PM »
      I have had an interest in the Robotech setting but do not have Robotech RPG Tactics.  I have Mecha !