Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:29:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689611
  • Total Topics: 118286
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Games of the North: 20/5 completed carts, commerce & captives (GoT)  (Read 103235 times)

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
Re: A bit of GoT: Boltons
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2015, 02:30:06 PM »
Thanks Richard.  :)

I concur regarding the helmets - much like the recurve versus the longbow. I did think it through though. It's often raining in the north and so maybe the flaired brim is there to deflect rain? Maybe. But medieval chaps managed without and so I'm losing it.  I've gone for straightforward 'pointy' bascinets, so they look more medieval and less theatrical.

On the sigil, yours is great but for that I'm going to stick with the TV, as I like red and black imagery. Your Bolton's are outstanding but having never read the books I just can't picture them in pink..... They're all malevolent, cunning, deceitful darkness to me!

Looking forward to seeing more of yours idc.  :)
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2015, 02:36:36 PM »
I'm really looking forward to see what you come up with! I love GoT threads and really should go back to my own... ::)

I think if you'd sculpt some guys, you really should cast them and sell them in your store; no mattter what faction you'll be doing, I'll buy them anyways, as I love both your style and GoT mini's :)

Thanks very much  :D

To be honest the Boltons will be predominately conversions from Perry Metals so I wouldn't cast them but for other factions I guess it depends how they turn out (and when I have the workspace to start casting again).  ;)

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2015, 01:04:26 AM »
The best rear view I could find!

Without the waist being visible it's difficult to be 100% categoric that it's the same uniform as in the OP but the other features look to be consistent. It's not clear whether there's a pleat or split directly to the back of the 'skirt' but if the Bolton troops are to sit on a saddle, this seems likely.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2015, 01:08:23 AM »
The best rear view I could find!

I think you might be going just a little to far with your research this time  lol

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2015, 01:25:15 AM »
I think you might be going just a little to far with your research this time  lol

:D

I can go further......here's another  :o

There is a split/pleat at the back.  ;)

And now I am content to start with the GS  :D

EDIT
Those helmets really are horrible. Kind of a cross between a bascinet and a morion.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 01:28:34 AM by Silent Invader »

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2015, 09:27:39 AM »
It's called a 'borion'  ;)

Actually, those ones don't look to bad - more or less morions.

But the one earlier in the thread that looks like great big bulbous knob. That's just ridiculous.

All in all, as envisaged by Weiss, Benioff and co, these guys look a lot more like C16th border reivers, and a lot less like medieval soldiery. But perhaps that was the intent  :)

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2015, 09:34:44 AM »
Quite a useful in a pike fight though which seems to be the implication in the books; mainly pikes.

I could be wrong though, it's been a while since I read them.

cheers

James

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2015, 10:07:15 AM »
Hmmm. Maybe.
In common with a lot of historical and pseudo-historical authors though - and despite GRRM seeming to know his stuff generally when it comes to medieval combat - I'm not convinced that when he says 'pikes', he's actually talking about pikes as we know them (i.e. 16 / 18 foot long battlefield weapons designed mainly to fend off cavalry).

Most authors (C J Sansom, Conn Iggulden amongst them) blithely use 'pikes' as a general term for polearms. What they actually mean is halberds, glaives, partizans etc. Not 'pikes' at all.
But as far as Martin goes, who knows what he actually meant? :)
(It's been a long time since I read them too lol)

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2015, 10:08:16 AM »
Border Reiver-like is an interesting point.  As is the suitability for pikes.

In the TV version they generally seem to serve as cavalry (edit) or mounted infantry. Maybe my memory is being selective as since starting this little project I realise that I have just enjoyed the TV series and paid little attention to the details!!! Having looked at a lot of clips recently, sigil-aside, the major 'obvious' difference* between the Starks and the Bolton's is the shape of the shield (round), the visibility of mail (less leather is worn) and the helmet (a simple dome). Shield-less and in poor light, the helmet is the major differentiator.

*by all means correct me, I'm no expert!!!!

EDIT: good point Richard. Though in the TV I don't recall such pole arms either, just a lot of 7 foot (ish) spears.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 10:23:47 AM by Silent Invader »

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2015, 10:40:39 AM »
Yes, I remember being mildly annoyed at the vagueness in the battles in the books and I would agree that 'pike' is probably more of a generic term although thinking of the Scottish schiltron they could be about ten feet maybe?

I know that George seems to have a preference for the look of the Victorian vision of medieval romance so getting a clear idea of what's going on with weapons etc can be a struggle.

Never mind though Steve, I'm sure whatever you do will be fine  :)

I can see you overtaking both Richard and myself so maybe Richard, we better team up  lol

cheers

James

Offline Gunner Dunbar

• Mastermind
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2015, 11:12:06 AM »
Cool will be watching, got my own stalled GoT project to maybe kick start soon.

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2015, 11:34:11 AM »
Thanks chaps!  :)

James, in terms is speed of progression, you and Richard are covering many more factions. I'm on one at the mo (Boltons) with a second lined up (Wildlings) and at some later stage I might do at the most two more (Watch and Starks) though likely to do a few victims civis before then.  I'm also not doing named characters, which means that as soon as I can settle on the 'design' they can be pretty much churned out.

The converted dollies readied for their GS leathers:

The leader (I recall that the men of the North don't have knightly status??) has a cloak that is formed from kitchen roll soaked in superglue that will be skinned with GS.

The cart seen in a previous post reminded me of a lovely piece sold by Boothill Miniatures so it has been stolen from my WIP Old West project and will be given a tarp-covered load for Boltons and Wildlings to fight over.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 11:36:02 AM by Silent Invader »

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2015, 12:32:02 PM »
Oooooooooooooooooooh looking great  :-*

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2015, 12:34:23 PM »
Nice plastic 'n' metal bashing! Looks proper.

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2015, 01:03:50 PM »
They look really good Steve. What about some Cleganes? I'd love to see you take on a Mountain conversion.