Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:47:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689615
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Warhammer Quest  (Read 7257 times)

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
Re: Warhammer Quest
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2008, 12:02:24 PM »
Well io am sure i can find it agine some were. I am game for that imfo your are talking about Mr. Long smile
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ... standing on the shoulders of giants.
    • INCLTVS REX - Late Antique wargames blog
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2008, 12:23:10 PM »
I found Hero Quest to be a bit limiting if you want to go down the RPG path. WHQ is a far superior system. You could always use the HQ board for a WHQ game though, it just wouldn't be as unpredictable.

I'm interested in the card sets also :) It's good to see these systems don't die... they evolve into something totally different!

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2008, 01:52:24 PM »
Surprised no one has mentioned Advanced Heroquest. I love that game
Waiter, my soup is giggling.

Offline uti long smile

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2008, 06:01:56 PM »
No problem, I'll gather them together and send PDFs to you PMs if that is OK - as I've no place to host them.

I should say up front that they were only ever intended for personal use, as I have taken liberties with Matt Beauchamp's Retro Raygun logo from Hydra Miniatures - which I also used as the name for my game!

As I've said I loved Heroquest and the serial nature of the game seemed to naturally translate to the serial nature of the 30s cliffhangers. Also I was inspired by some of Grimm's pics of WSD minis on some Dwarven Forge Sci-Fi sets and fancied running a similar game and I decided HQ would be a really easy ruleset to use.

The background is fairly loose and steals from a number of different settings and/or miniature ranges all which allude to Flash Gordon in some form or another. This kind of thing really appeals to group I play with, as in true geek fashion, half the fun for them is spotting the source material :D. I've lots of notes on the background, so could pull something together if anyone wants it - but really it can fit into any setting you fancy.

I should also warn you that the naming is intentionally camp and of the genre, but this can easily transform into naff, so apologies if I've crossed the line!

I've put some notes on the monster cards as there is some read across from the Heroquest stats: e.g. I've used the Orc stats as a base line opponent such as Khang Troopers and Space Pirates; Robots roughly translate as Undead; I've tweaked some stats up and down.

Not worked on this since January as I've been distracted by other projects, but I still plan to do some cards for Monster personalities (Emporer Khang, Cygnus Robot Master = Witch Lord) and I've yet to find a decent picture for the Royal Rebel archetype, but please let me know you think.

Something Crooked this way comes...
http://www.crooked-dice.co.uk/
Wargaming in the world of Cult TV

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2008, 09:32:48 PM »
Interesting stuff!

Has anyone else got any other mods for HQ or WHQ?

I never played Adv. HQ but it looks pretty cool. And it has solo play rules. Cracker!

What do you like most about it Onebig?

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2008, 10:42:23 PM »
Interesting stuff!

Has anyone else got any other mods for HQ or WHQ?

I never played Adv. HQ but it looks pretty cool. And it has solo play rules. Cracker!

What do you like most about it Onebig?

Partly nostalgia - the first game I really got into in the early nineties, and we had hell of a time because the players never knew what was round the corner. The rules are straightforward, and the reaction system works really well. It's also as great excuse to collect different races, monsters, demons etc without having to go all out collecting them as you would if you are building an army - I love painting but can't face painting 100s of similar figures. The upper levels of dungeons are generated by dice rolling so the GM doesn't have loads of work when it comes to designing quests.

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2008, 12:42:55 AM »
Uti: those cards were really well done. Thanks for that! I don't think I have the miniatures to pull it off, but it is a very cool little mod!

Offline Big Frank

• Scientist
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2008, 12:56:11 AM »
My kids have found my old WHQ and have bullied me into painting up some mini's for them ;).

The Elf

The Dwarf

The Barbarian
Thought I would make new versions of the heroes, hope you like them.
Cheers BF.

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2008, 01:05:59 AM »
That Barbarian is bloody good! I didn't want to use my originals so I may go down a similar path. It's such a great game. I guess with your kids interested it will be easier for you to line up a game :P

Those minis look great!