Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:25:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686448
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Afro-Caribbean Renegades & Taino/Arawak/Carib?  (Read 3771 times)

Offline Verderer

• Mad Scientist
Afro-Caribbean Renegades & Taino/Arawak/Carib?
« on: October 23, 2015, 12:03:28 PM »
Alrighty, I am looking for some Maroon querillas and Caribbean indians which could work as Caribs or Arawaks or whatever, the warlike and possbily cannibalistic kind anyways...

So far I have found Foundry Swashbuckling range with the two packs of Afro-Caribbeans (maroons), although no muskets there. Maybe I could complement them with a couple of minis from the Africa ranges with muskets?

And for Indians I am thinking Copplestone Lost Worlds Botocudo would maybe be the easiest option? They look more or less like what I imagine Caribs to look like (I don't really know too much about them). I read someplace that Eureka has something that fits the bill, but theyre in Australia, and I really, really hate using their site, it's soo bad.

So far so good? These appear to be great choices, even if the indians might not be 100% right? Any opinions or tips?

But here's the thing, would someone be interested in sharing a couple of packs with me? I'd only need about 8 or so of each, preferably with a mix of missile & melee weapons. So this would entail buying around four packs (one of each type for each 'army' and then maybe the Indian chief pack?

I live in Finland, so maybe if someone in the UK is willing to share these, or I could order them all myself, and then send you the minis we agree on? Or if someone is willing to sell theirs? So this is a bit of mixed Wanted and advice post, I thought I'd post here though. Feel free to move this, if you think it's more at home in the Bazaar section.

Offline Valerik

• Mad Scientist
  • "...promiscuously brandishing a revolver..."
Re: Afro-Caribbean Renegades & Taino/Arawak/Carib?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2015, 12:43:02 PM »
But here's the thing, would someone be interested in sharing a couple of packs with me? I'd only need about 8 or so of each, preferably with a mix of missile & melee weapons. So this would entail buying around four packs (one of each type for each 'army' and then maybe the Indian chief pack?

I live in Finland, so maybe if someone in the UK is willing to share these, or I could order them all myself, and then send you the minis we agree on? Or if someone is willing to sell theirs? So this is a bit of mixed Wanted and advice post, I thought I'd post here though. Feel free to move this, if you think it's more at home in the Bazaar section.

Not UK, but USA, & I would be interested in sharing.

Pulp Alley rarely calls for more than a ½ dozen or so figures needed for a league.

Feel free to PM me to work out details.

Wargames Foundry do a pack of "Tribal Musketmen in Hats and Coats - DA038"

They also do some non-uniformed Euro-clothed askaris & characters scattered through various sets.

Trent Miniatures to a Napoleonic Caribbean range as well, including "Car11 - Maroons"

http://northstarfigures.com/list.php?man=60&cat=171&sub=245&page=1

Also look at various pirate figures, usually suitable, & dressed for the tropics.
Provided they are beardless, paint provides suitable skintones.

Some 25mm figures might provide smaller statured individuals for Caribs with bits of white man's clothing & weapons.

Valerik

"If yer not livin' on the edge, yer takin' up too much room!"
BGR

"Fart in the devil's face"
Martin Luther

Offline Verderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2015, 03:36:34 PM »
Yes, those would looks just the ticket. Having fairly basic clothes, they'd work for various times too.

Online carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2015, 08:51:17 PM »
Foundry's Pirate range offers a variety of musket armed African figures with some additional ones with halberds. I have all of them... somewhere.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2015, 12:00:07 AM »
Eureka figures mix very well with Foundry's Swasbucklers.  If you are in the U.S. you can order from Eureka USA (that's what I've done).  The Tupi range has several matchlock armed figures.

http://eurekaminusa.com/collections/colonials-s-american-tupi-28mm
http://eurekaminusa.com/collections/colonials-s-american-tupi-28mm/products/100tup04

And some of the Portuguese conquistadors are so raggedly dressed, that they easily work for Afro-Caribs/Maroons.  And some actually are intended to be Mamalucos - slave soldiers.  See below:
http://eurekaminusa.com/collections/conquistadores-28mm-portuguese/products/100por13

http://eurekaminusa.com/collections/conquistadores-28mm-portuguese/products/100por12

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2015, 07:55:44 AM »
Foundry did make Sarawak though never released. I strangely managed to pick 3 up on eBay! I would go with the botocudo or possibly their pack of generic indians. Also worth looking at outpost south American

Offline Verderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2015, 10:32:24 AM »
Yeah, those Eureka DO look interesting, especially the Portuguese. Pity (for me) they don't have an European shop.

By the way, I noticed that many of these indian ranges from various manufacturers have the minis wielding these large spear looking thingies, but the way they grip them is more like you'd handle a baseball bat than a spear? are they some kind of maces with large spear like tips, or maybe paddles? lol

As you can see, my knowledge of Caribbean indian weapons is not very impressive...

Online carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2015, 10:56:21 AM »
Yeah, those Eureka DO look interesting, especially the Portuguese. Pity (for me) they don't have an European shop.

By the way, I noticed that many of these indian ranges from various manufacturers have the minis wielding these large spear looking thingies, but the way they grip them is more like you'd handle a baseball bat than a spear? are they some kind of maces with large spear like tips, or maybe paddles? lol

As you can see, my knowledge of Caribbean indian weapons is not very impressive...

They have one in the UK.

Offline Verderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2015, 11:40:25 AM »
Eureka, really? That's news to me, do you have a link, I can't find anything with Google?

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2015, 03:31:31 PM »
Fighting 15s carries Eureka in the UK. They don't have the whole Eureka range in stock (at least in my dated experience), but anything they don't have they'll get for you from Australia if you don't mind waiting a rather long time.
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2015, 03:55:01 PM »
Foundry did make Sarawak though never released. I strangely managed to pick 3 up on eBay!

Hang on a minute... Sarawak, or Arawak? I hazard to guess Austronesians wouldn't make the best stand-ins for Caribbeans :P

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2015, 11:37:37 AM »
Hang on a minute... Sarawak, or Arawak? I hazard to guess Austronesians wouldn't make the best stand-ins for Caribbeans :P

Sorry, arawak it's this bleeding predictive text😃

On the club, point, they are 2 handed war clubs made of hard wood

Offline Verderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2015, 12:22:31 PM »
Alright, thanks for the info chaps! So Fighting 15s is one option, if I want those Eureka minis.

Offline shadowking1957

• Mastermind
    • Shadowkings
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2015, 04:56:26 PM »
Foundry do these?

there solid miniatures with character

Offline Verderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2015, 05:35:11 PM »
Yes, that's what I was referring in my original post, they look good too. But I doubt I need 8 archers etc.