Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:20:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Innsmouth Historical Society Presents: (Update 07 July; MiGo in the Woods!)  (Read 33357 times)

Offline WallyTWest

• Scientist
  • 'Lux Mundi'
Re: Mr West's Pictures (Updated 12 March, Base Coated Vampires!!)
« Reply #135 on: May 11, 2016, 12:00:31 AM »

Just played COC:Wasted Land on IOS- it's pretty gosh darn sweet... It plays sort of like a XCom taking place in WW1 and against the mythos- it's loosely based off the module of the same name.

Absolutely worth 5 bucks.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 02:52:04 AM by WallyTWest »

Offline WallyTWest

• Scientist
  • 'Lux Mundi'

Don't know how I feel about this one... Not super on the paint job-

Offline Big Frank

• Scientist
Re: Mr West's Hidden Horrors (Updated 11 April, Finished Star Spawn)
« Reply #137 on: May 12, 2016, 12:13:32 AM »
Very nice. Like the purple on the hands n wings, tentacles look good too.
It's a weird mini to paint.
 I found you can get some great results very quickly just by dry brushing or you can spend ages with glazes, washes etc. I went for a bit of both when painting mine.

Offline WallyTWest

• Scientist
  • 'Lux Mundi'
« Reply #138 on: May 12, 2016, 02:00:35 AM »
Yea- should have turned out better- I may go back and detail the pimples/warts pink and switch that White to yellow/green.

Not happy with it.

Some Wasted Lands- (last turn of the game)

« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 03:15:02 AM by WallyTWest »

Offline WallyTWest

• Scientist
  • 'Lux Mundi'
« Reply #139 on: May 12, 2016, 08:41:59 PM »

Does not look like much- I went in there and eliminated the white dry brush with some pink and yellow- did some inking and touched the eyes up- looks much better to me.

Offline WallyTWest

• Scientist
  • 'Lux Mundi'
« Reply #140 on: May 13, 2016, 05:48:58 PM »

Need to find my static grass...

Offline WallyTWest

• Scientist
  • 'Lux Mundi'
Re: Mr West's Hidden Horrors (Updated 13 May, Finished Summoning Stones)
« Reply #142 on: May 14, 2016, 01:18:02 AM »
Yea- the elder sign was kinda easy to paint- I may try somthing with that later.

I'm nearing the "end" of this project- I have two big buildings and some do-dads to add. (Stumps, rocks wells and a car or two perhaps... I can't believe what I have accomplished.)

The last peice of this puzzle will be a storage solution and presentation method to bring it togther.

And I have some Hastur to peice togther...

But the end is in sight... It's somehow depressing...

Offline horridperson

• Mad Scientist
  • Doing the Will of The Horned Cat
    • Void Spaces
« Reply #143 on: May 14, 2016, 02:21:01 AM »
Don't be depressed Wally.  You have produced so wonderful stuff and have a fine collection to show for it.  Don't be a weepy Alexander; You have all sorts of worlds left to explore/ conquer :) .  What were you thinking of for Sci Fi?  I'm leaning toward Infinity because they have a huge range of figs that would make fine investigators.  I liked the look of the cult tv and thought they were very characterful but the number of figures seems too small.

Offline WallyTWest

• Scientist
  • 'Lux Mundi'
« Reply #144 on: May 14, 2016, 04:08:02 AM »
Great Question- I already got these EM4 miniatures for a retro scifi project.

I intend to paint these 4 investigators as a household or explorers personal routine. I already have the 2x2 play area and terrain from mantic, but it needs to be painted up. The next question is what do I do for baddies? (mutants?)

I also feel like they need a small shuttle that is personalized for their use, like the star bug in Red Dwarf. But that's a light project.

The greatest hobby gamers on the internets are the ones whom use their passion as a medium to tell a story, narrative or quality gaming experience. (Ex. Padre's Story Campaigns from Warhammer-Empire for example- some of the greatest gaming content online.). I could paint COC miniatures until the end of time, but if I can't find a use for them or a way to share my enjoyment of the genre then there was no point in me painting any of it.

The next step will be documenting gaming experiences and likely some light diorama work. Sharing and showing how to use strange Aeons to entertain and enjoy.

Deadzone, X-Wing, Strange Aeons, Frostgrave and Uncharted Seas have really shown me how much I care for these "micro" hobby games. Low model counts, high replayability and tactical easy to get into. They have become a linchpin in my gaming.

Offline horridperson

• Mad Scientist
    • Void Spaces
« Reply #145 on: May 14, 2016, 06:44:55 AM »
The stories that run through my head are all that ever comes out of it for me unfortunately.  The game stores dies years ago when GW came around so other than that and the comic shop that runs war machine or other GW stuff I think it's a wrap locally.  I've never been much of an army painter (my attention span dies at skirmish) and "competitive" gaming has never turned my crank.  I do a little painting and make some stuff, invent some stories and that's pretty much it.  I'd like to try and encourage some people to try other things locally but the physical act of rolling dice over a board has never been my thing.  It's more a derivative of modelling and world building to take my toys off a shelf but that rationale has always been a bit of a dead end because either of the former activities is what I prefer.  Sadly I don't have games to document.

Your EM4 guys definitely strike a chord for me as the Cult TV ones did.  I liked the nostalgic feel of the models because they made me think of the 70's style space shows and movies (minus the operas) that pushed the isolation of space travel.  More recently the Expanse and Altered Carbon had me rexamining sci-fi and appreciating it more than I had in decades.  I still enjoy the background of the 40k universe but I don't have much curiosity about the endless war part.

I recently grabbed a pdf from drivethrough rpg called, "Cthulhu Rising".  It was printed in '08 by Chaosium and seems to share the "low-high tech" aesthetic that I'd been rambling about earlier in the thread.  My world plans lay somewhere between digesting this source and mashing it together with the what I've been reading recently.  I ended up bringing this thread back from the dead because I had been reading the Expanse.

I definitely want to build some terrain ( I suppose I should call it diorama too if I'm making it :) ).  I'd like to build the modular innards of a ship with circular corridors and a mysteriously empty colony settlement or an alien landscape.

Offline WallyTWest

• Scientist
  • 'Lux Mundi'
« Reply #146 on: May 14, 2016, 01:21:16 PM »
Spaceship Interior
I'm very lucky- I have lots of space hulk- including the much more mundane and generic 2nd edition condors.  :) there are a number of tile systems out there, I honestly don't know if I would do more than that.

Source Material
Yea- I'm thinking Dune 1984, Thing, Blakes 7 with a touch of classic 85-87 battletech artistically and in spirit- they hard edge distopian really hit its stride in the mid 1980's, and would not produce similar material again in my opinion (with obvious exceptions) until ben bova became mad with power around 1998. ;)

Cthulhu Rising
2271- it's an intresting product. It was fan made if I recall correctly. They produced some adventure material based around that setting and a hastur module. Honestly, exploration is such a pivotal part of the strange fiction narrative that science fiction does it great Justice. I seem to recal another scifi product produced by Chaosium, can't find it.

I can't recomend the mantic stuff enough- I'll start a new thread as I begin to work on my deadzone- but the terrain and battle mat are magnificent.

Offline WallyTWest

• Scientist
  • 'Lux Mundi'
« Reply #147 on: May 14, 2016, 05:01:06 PM »

Possible major breakthrough in gaming today- I have been playing around with investigation scenerios for a while- ie- how they might be accomplished or a accommodated in miniature gaming format- finialy opened this after work today, bought it at Pax East. Major possible gaming content here and even though I find the game fell slightly below expectations I can't recommend the contents enough. There is somthing here we could all use/ missing peice of a puzzle with reguards to miniature gaming.

Offline horridperson

• Mad Scientist
    • Void Spaces
« Reply #148 on: May 15, 2016, 08:01:16 AM »
I'm really interested to hear more about this investigation system you pictured above.  I had roughguided some ideas when I was trying to design a clue/lead system for an inquisitor/40k style game but got distracted before I had thought about it much.  The only system I encountered in a published game was in the recent Osprey Black Ops title.  They had an intel system that progressively built or was reduced depending on mission outcomes.  It only amounted to a modifier on a d6 roll that would end the story campaign with a showdown at a volcano lair.  It was simple but pretty neat.  I tucked it away as food for thought for something more detailed.

Those cards remind me of an online project for a CoC card game.  It was a DIY program that provided assets to make custom game cards.  It seemed perfectly themed and I've had it sitting on my hard drive forever but I'm a bit of a luddite and lack patience with software.  Have a look.  It's customizable and could probably be adapted to a mini game or game within game.

Strange Eons

**Thanks for the save Peabody :) .  I fixed the link so it works as well.**

« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 08:24:24 AM by horridperson »

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #149 on: May 15, 2016, 06:38:11 PM »
That link didn't work for me.

But this one does.

Looks very interesting!

Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!