Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:16:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Koyote in Frostheim -SORRY- ALL PHOTOS PRIOR TO P.14 ARE INACCESSIBLE  (Read 55002 times)

Online Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
Re: Koyote in Frostheim
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2015, 02:49:14 AM »
It's almost time to start painting! 

I've assembled all of the beasties that I will need for the Random Encounters Table. My Frostgrave games will be set in Mordheim, so some of the critters from my menagerie will be counts-as models.  The Giant Yeti (still pantless) is a counts-as Frost Giant. The Fimir is a counts-as White Gorilla.  The Beastman is a counts-as Werewolf (both are a mix of animal and human and both have a bounty on their heads).  The Cave Squigs are counts-as Ice Toads (both have wicked bites). And the rest are either generic or Old World versions of the creatures found on the Random Encounter Table.

I've also collected and assembled the terrain and figures that I will need for the 10 Scenarios in the rulebook.  Giant Worm? Check. Genie? Check. Mausoleum? Check. My ruined Cathedral should work for the Silent Tower scenario. I still have 4 statues that I made for Malifaux Special Terrain Encounter Features and enough bits to make two more. Together all six statues can serve as Living Statues or as columns for the Temple scenario. I used a 60mm Lost Souls base to make a pool/well for the Well of Dreams and Sorrows scenario. Once it's painted I will pour a thin layer of water-effect into the pool to make it appear as if the faces are just below the water's surface.

Lastly, I have ordered four 50mm domed Lost Souls bases to serve as the teleportation discs for The Keep scenario.  Borrowing from the 40K fluff, I've decided that the teleportion discs open temporary pasageways through the Warp.  Thus, the tormented faces on the disc are the denizens of the Warp pushing against the barrier that separates the Warp from the material universe.

Offline horridperson

• Mad Scientist
  • Doing the Will of The Horned Cat
    • Void Spaces
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2015, 05:22:17 AM »
Nice collection for the randoms.  Wish I had things in order like that.  I had some difficulty with toad collecting as well so I'll be using "Ice Newts" instead.  The well looks like it will awesome; Really great idea and use of the base.

Offline Ingmar

• Bookworm
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2015, 09:40:54 AM »
It might become a bit repetitive, but I'd still like to say: AMAZING! lol
Your thread is a true inspiration and you seem very methodical (which bodes well for the frostgrave-eye-candy-department in the next couple of months! ;)). I'll be following all of it with great interest.

On a personal note, thank you for very much for providing the clear pictures and description of your endeavors concerning the pegasus hobbies kits. You've most certainly started me thinking!

Offline tyrionhalfman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2015, 10:32:18 AM »
Fantastic additions. Thanks for sharing

Offline jp1885

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • "An enquiring mind is sufficient qualification"
    • My Frostgrave blog
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2015, 02:28:16 PM »
That's a fair collection of beasties - great stuff!

Offline Devoted of Slaanesh

• Scientist
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2015, 04:47:21 PM »
Very nice! I am waiting to see  them painted.  ;)

Offline Admiral Benbow

• The Queen's Own Gizmologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • "Creativity is a drug I cannot live without."
    • The Benbow Workshop
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2015, 09:16:23 PM »
Impressive collection, inspiring!

Online Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2015, 05:00:33 AM »
Thank you, everyone.

Even though Random Encounters is an optional rule that plainly states that players should feel free to alter the rule to fit the players' collections of miniatures, when I saw the table for the very first time I knew I had to collect models for each encounter type.  

Over the years my model collections has ebbed and flowed and at this point in time my collection of Fantasy minis is fairly modest.  My last few sprues of GW Vampire Counts minis gave me a good start by supplying me with some skeletons, zombies, and ghouls, but aside repurposing a handful of models from my other collections, I knew that I would have to purchase quite a few minis to complete my Frostheim menagerie.  After a brief tug-o-war between my compulsive nature and the pragmatist in me, I decided to collect all the minis needed for the table, but I'd try to be smart about my purchases and seek out deals whenever possible.  

I started by digging through my various collections and repurposing minis, like the undead, the Fimir, the Djinn, the Beastman, etc.  I saved some money by buying the rats and the big cat from Reaper Miniatures' Bones model line. When the models arrived the big cat was smaller than I had imagined, so to create the illusion that the model is slightly larger, I elevated it by mounting it on a big rock.  I also saved some money by buying my wraith and vampire models as bits from Bits World. The wraith is one of the spirits from the new Nagash kit and the vampire is the Corpsemaster from the GW Mortis Engine kit. Both models required some conversion work to get them table ready, but I bought them dirt-cheap and I'm very pleased with how they turned out.  I bought my Giant Yeti on sale for half price from FRP Games, where you can find pretty good deals in FRP's daily/weekly specials page. And while there are many great boar sculpts out there (I love Otherworld Miniatures' boars), I settled for a Pathfinder Battles prepainted plastic boar model that I picked up for less than $3 on eBay. A bit of black primer and a new paint job and you'll barely recognize it.

I also benefited greatly from Games Workshop's disastrous Age of Sigmar and the death of WFB.  Many of my friends love WFB, but for them AoS was the last straw.  Consequently, I got a VERY good deal on the Trolls, Cave Squigs, and Giant Spiders from a friend who played Orcs & Goblins.

Below are some of my favorite 'bargain' minis:

So if you are on a budget or if you just don't want to spend too much of your hard earned money (or ill gotten gains) on models for the Random Encounter Table, there are ways to collect many of these models at a pretty deep discount. First and foremost I'd suggest that you look at your own collections and remember that using counts-as models is not only an acceptable choice, but in many instances a much more satisfying choice.  You should also seek out online sales and deals. Many online retailers have clearance or overstock sales. Another alternative is to purchase models from less expensive model lines (e.g. Reaper Bones collection). You can also purchase and repaint inexpensive plastic models sold as children's toys. The Adam's Poorly Painted Frostgrave Adventures thread includes some good examples of this.  And lastly, hit up your gamer friends and acquaintances; especially those who are disgruntled Warhammer Fantasy players.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 07:14:45 AM by Koyote »

Online Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2015, 08:55:09 AM »
Friday my 50mm Lost Souls bases arrived in the mail.  In The Keep scenario one Treasure Token is placed on each of the four discs.  Below I've arranged a mock up of my thief dashing to the disc to retrieve the valuable wyrdstone. He's in for an unpleasant surprise.

Also pictured below are all of the Imps that I should need for my Summoner's warband. I don't care for the look of the original sculpt's strange, human-like nose, so I've removed all the noses and replaced them with more frog-like snouts and nostrils. I used greenstuff to patch the casting defects and to rebuild the original model's snout.

Lastly, I've made some progress on my giant yeti's legs.  I experimented with a number of fur sculpting techniques before settling on one that I like. And then it took me a few more attempts to develop the proficiency that I need to pull it off.  The new fur doesn't closely match the fur on the other parts of the yeti, but I can live with that.  It cost me too much time and greenstuff, already.  I need to finish up the legs and move on to other things.

Offline tyrionhalfman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2015, 09:11:43 AM »
Nice progress, I like your green stuff fur. Thanks for sharing

Offline Harry

• Scientist
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2015, 09:40:19 AM »
Well you really have got it all going on. :D
That is a great collection of models. I have pulled my mosters together from a similar range of sources and been chipping away bit by bit.
Glad I didn't put everything together in one place like that ... I might have put myself off the idea. :D I look forward to seeing these brought together by the painting.
Love the yeti/giant thing. Very cool.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 09:38:18 AM by Harry »

Offline Xintao

• Librarian
    • Xin's Lair
« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2015, 11:30:07 PM »
My only beef with Pegasus' Gothic Building kits is that they don't include roofs or flooring for second floor. The ruins kits do include flooring for the second floor, just not the buildings or cathedral kits.

Koyote,

There is a guy who makes laser cut roofs for the Pegasus Buildings. I saw them at a convention last week. I think they're so new he doesn't have them on his website yet, but just contact him thru the site for info.

http://www.davesbaggagetrain.com/

Xin

Edit: Found pics on his facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/mygamingtablellc/

« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 11:33:24 PM by Xintao »
Xin

My Blog: Xin's Lair

Online Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2015, 02:37:41 AM »
Wow! Thanks, Xintao.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 04:56:00 AM by Koyote »

Online Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2015, 10:36:37 PM »
Any set of house rules will always be better than the official rules because they are written by and for the people actually playing the game.

I don't know if the following house rules are better than the official rules, but I believe that my changes will address some of my concerns regarding campaign game balance and steer gameplay in a direction that my gaming group will appreciate.  

We'll give these rules a test run this weekend as we play through the 'Hunt for the Golem' mini-campaign.  We are all using starting warbands so I doubt that the underdog rules will come into play, but that's fine. It will let us focus on the my modifications to the more basic elements of the game.

I'm going to keep track of the xps and treasure tokens generated by both my rules and the official rules to see how they compare.

Koyote's House Rules

GAME LENGTH & VICTORY CONDITIONS
The cataclysmic spell that doomed the ancient city of Felstad has waned, but the tumultuous skies above Frostgrave remain unpredictable and lethal.  Propelled by hurricane winds, ensorcelled cyclones periodically blast the city with snow and subzero temperatures.  The arrival of the sorcerous storms cannot be predicted by magical or mundane means, so those who venture into the accursed city must be forever alert to even the slightest change in the weather.  For when the temperature drops and the winds begin to howl, any living creature that does not take shelter is doomed to join the company of the city’s frozen dead.

Random Game Length:
The Random Game Length rules determine game length, unless:
• the scenario’s rules determine game length; or
• the last Treasure Token is carried off the table; or
• no model from any warband remains on the table; or
• all of the models on the table (excluding uncontrolled Creatures) belong to a single warband

Unless one of the aforementioned conditions occurs, at the end of Turn 5 the last player to activate a model rolls a D20. On a roll of 6-20 the weather holds and a 6th Turn is played.  On a roll of 1-5 the scenario ends.

At the end of Turn 6, roll a die.  On a roll of 16-20 the temperature begins to drop, but there is still time, play a 7th Turn.  On a roll of 1-15 the scenario ends.

At the end of Turn 7, the winds begin to howl and the warbands must flee the battlefield or perish.  The game ends.

Victory Conditions:
Unless the scenario states otherwise, the warband that recovers the most Treasure Tokens wins the scenario.  If both warbands recover the same number of Treasure Tokens, the game is a draw.  In multi-player games, if two or more warbands ‘tie’ for the most Treasure Tokens recovered, then these warbands ‘draw’ and the remaining warbands lose the scenario.

Carried Treasure Tokens:
If a model on the table is carrying a Treasure Token when the scenario ends, the Treasure Token is dropped.  For the purpose of calculating experience points for ‘Exploits’ (SEE below), a Treasure Token dropped in this way counts as being ‘held,’ but for all other purposes this Treasure Token is treated as an unrecovered Treasure Token.

Last Warband Standing:
If a scenario ends because all of the models on the table (excluding uncontrolled Creatures) belong to a single warband and one or more unrecovered Treasure Tokens remain on the table, then the remaining warband recovers one of the unrecovered Treasure Tokens (chosen by the player controlling the remaining warband).  This Treasure Token is treated as if it was recovered during the course of game play and it is removed from the table before experience points for ‘Exploits’ are calculated.

UNDERDOG BONUSES

What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger:
”I love being the underdog, sometimes.” –The last words of the wizard, Graaver The Wise

Immediately after deployment, each player with a Wizard on the table declares his or her Wizard’s level.  If the levels differ, then each player, in turn, determines his or her individual Level Difference by subtracting his or her Wizard’s level from the level of the highest level Wizard on the table. Next, each player consults the following chart to determine if his or her Wizard will receive bonus experience points at the end of the game.

Level Difference :  0-5 = No bonus experience points
Level Difference :  6-10 = 150 bonus experience points* to lower level Wizard
Level Difference :  11+ = 300 bonus experience points* to lower level Wizard
*Add another 100 experience points to this bonus if the lower level Wizard wins the scenario

This bonus applies to only those Wizards who directly participating in the scenario.  If a Wizard ‘sits out’ the scenario because of an injury from the Survival Table, the absent Wizard cannot qualify for this bonus nor is the absent Wizard’s level taken into account when determining Level Difference.

The gods love children and fools:
As the members of the defeated warband limp back to its base they stumble upon a strongbox half buried in snow and rubble. When the strongbox is pried open, the disheartened warriors see something that makes them smile.

If a Wizard qualifies for an experience point bonus from the ’What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger’ rule AND the qualifying Wizard’s warband lost the scenario, then the defeated warband is granted one additional roll on the Treasure table.  The defeated warband receives this additional roll, regardless of how many Treasure Tokens it recovered during the scenario.  The defeated warband does not gain experience points for this additional roll on the Treasure table, nor is it used to determine the scenario’s victory conditions.

Please note that a ‘draw’ does not count as a ‘loss’.

'You scoundrel!':
“That scoundrel deserves to be kicked in the butt by a jackass, and I’m just the one to do it.” – Merchant Prince, Hugo the Muleskinner

If the player who began the scenario controlling the highest level Wizard on the table believes that an opponent did not make a sincere attempt to win the scenario or at least play to a draw, then he or she may veto (i.e. cancel) one or both of the scoundrel Wizard’s underdog bonuses.   In the event that two or more Wizard’s qualify as the highest level Wizard, then the decision by only one of these players is sufficient to cancel underdog bonuses.

EXPERIENCE POINTS
”Experience is the most brutal of teachers, but by the gods you do learn” – Cortland Andrus, Arms Master of House Deschain

Casting1
The Wizard or Apprentice casts a spell from his or her own school: 15 xp
The Wizard or Apprentice casts a spell from an aligned school: 20 xp
The Wizard or Apprentice casts a spell from a neutral school: 25 xp
The Wizard or Apprentice casts a spell from an opposed school: 30 xp

‘Taking Out’ Enemy Models 2
Enemy Soldier: 20 xp
Enemy Apprentice: 40 xp
Enemy Wizard: 100 xp

‘Taking Out’ Creatures
Starting Health 01-05: 10 xp
Starting Health 06-10: 20 xp
Starting Health 11-15: 40 xp
Starting Health 16+: 100 xp
+10 xp if the creature type is immune to non-magical weapons
+10 xp if the creature was controlled by an enemy warband when it was taken out3

Exploits
Each Treasure Token recovered by the Wizard or a member of the Wizard’s warband: 50 xp4
Each Treasure Token held by the Wizard or a member of the Wizard’s warband at game’s end: 25 xp5
Each unclaimed Treasure Token on the Wizard’s enemy’s half of the table at game’s end: 25 xp6

Notes:
1. A spell or spell effect that is “cast” automatically by any type of magic item is worth 0 xp.  

Also please note that Spellcasters do not earn experience points for casting ‘out of game’ spells.  

2. If a Wizard X takes control of a creature or a member of an enemy warband and the controlled model ‘takes out’ a creature or a member of an enemy warband, then the Wizard X receives the experience points for ‘taking out’ a model, not the controlled model’s original owner.

3. This includes creatures that are treated as a permanent member of an enemy warband (e.g. summoned Constructs).

4. If Wizard X takes controls a creature or an enemy model and Wizard X makes the controlled model leave the table with a Treasure Token (SEE FAQ), then Wizard X earns the experience points for recovering the Treasure Token, not the controlled model’s original owner.

5. A Treasure Token is ‘held’ if at game’s end the Treasure Token is being carried but it has not been taken off the table (i.e. recovered).  

6. A Treasure token is  ‘unclaimed’ if at game’s end the Treasure Token is not ‘held’ and has not been taken off the table (i.e. recovered).   In multi-player games, the players should mutually agree beforehand on the boundaries that define the ‘enemy’s half (portion) of the table.’

’We Are Immortal Until Our Work On Earth Is Done’:
When rolling on the Survival Table to determine the nature of a  Wizard’s injuries, replace the ‘Dead’ result with the following  injury: You Should Be Dead - The Wizard suffers two injuries from the Permanent Injury Table and the Wizard may not participate in the next game.  

If at any time during a campaign a Wizard suffers a second ‘Lost Eye’ result, reroll the injury until the result is something other than a ‘Lost Eye.’

An Elixir of Life may be used to completely negate the effects of a You Should Be Dead injury.

RANDOM ENCOUNTERS

’More Monsters!’: (optional)
The denizens of the accursed city are drawn to the sounds of battle and the smell of bloodshed like a troll is drawn to the smell of stale ale on a dwarf’s beard.  And the longer the battle continues, the greater the likelihood that the melee will be joined by the creatures that dwell among tumbled stone and frozen ruins of Felstad.

When a Treasure Token is picked up for the first time the player who controls the model that picked up the Treasure Token rolls a D20 and adds the current turn number to the die roll.  If the modified roll is a 17 or above, a random creature (or creatures) has been encountered.  Thus, if a Treasure Token is picked up for the first time during Turn 1 a random creature will be encountered on die roll of 16 or above (16 + 1 = 17).  On Turn 2, a die roll of 15 or above will trigger a random encounter.  On Turn 3, a die roll of 14 or above will trigger a random encounter and so forth.

Not So Random Encounters: (optional)
If the players mutually agree to use the Random Encounter rules, then the level of each encounter is not determined randomly.  Instead, the level of the encounter is determined by the level of the Wizard whose warband triggered the encounter.  If a warband’s Wizard does not participate in the scenario due to an injury from Survival Table, then that warband’s level of encounter is its Wizard’s level divided by two (rounding up).

Level 1-5 Wizards: Level 1 Encounter
Level 5-15 Wizards: Level 2 Encounter
Level 16+ Wizards: Level 3 Encounter

« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 05:50:17 AM by Koyote »

Offline Stonedog

• Schoolboy
« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2015, 04:13:23 PM »
It was the "Mordheim" feeling that made me fall in love with Frostgrave! 

After the WHFB to AoS Charlie Foxtrot.....FG has become my DEFACTO fantasy game....I love the RPG feel that it offers.....

I can't wait to see how you meld the two together!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 04:25:14 PM by Stonedog »