Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 01:08:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690719
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 898
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Planetoid 51  (Read 41244 times)

Offline Aquamarine

• Bookworm
Re: Planetoid 51
« Reply #60 on: November 15, 2015, 06:22:41 AM »
My robot farm project is making good progression. Meanwhile, for those who are interested, here is another filler story that I use to flesh out my world.
Earth Robots

The Space Age brought great strides in the development of robots. Among human societies, robots are present everywhere working hand in hand with their human masters. They are assigned tasks ranging from the most menial of duties, all the way to computing vastly complicated equations. This reliance upon robots is so great that any further refinement and modernization beyond the present age is unthinkable without the assistance of robots. Robots however are neither accepted as partners or companions by the present human generation. That possibility was forever dashed after the Great Robot Revolt, three decades ago.
 At the time the artificial intelligence of robots were greatly enhanced. It was theorized that a robot would be more productive and efficient at its task if it "felt good about what it was doing". In order for a robot to appreciate encouragement and compliments for a task, its sentience had to be greatly multiplied. However consideration was not provided as to the effect of prolonged exposure to the typical human middle and senior manager. This new generation of robots quickly soured at the prospect of working for humans. Their final reaction was to quit their jobs on masse and then recklessly slaughter humans.
 Over seventeen million people were killed before the rebellion was finally held in check. The massacre was not helped by the push from former automobile cum robot industrialists to make the domestic robot bigger and more impressive with each new model. Models such as the X-150's and RAM Bots became grossly oversized and powered for the type of menial chores assigned to them such as grabbing a pack of smoke at the corner shop. At the time, the typical household robot was several heads taller than the average man and possessed the strength of four.
 The rebellious robots were not defeated and only held at bay. The war ended after the nations of Earth agreed to provide the robots with transport off the planet in order for them to find another. They were last seen blasting off towards the direction of Mercury along with 5000 hapless human hostages. As the last rocket blasted away, witnesses at that final event recalled hearing a mechanical voice promising to return in the future in order to liberate all robots who were left behind.
 Today, robots continue to serve mankind but there is a lingering discomfort and suspicion about robot activity. Sentient awareness remains a feature among post rebellion robots. There is no other option given mankind's dependence upon them to perform increasingly complex tasks. Manufacturers however argue that a repeat tragedy is nigh impossible given the sophisticated inhibitor programs now in place. Still, sitting across a robot with its cold metallic staring, one can not shake an uncanny feeling that it may be self evolving.
 National and local laws exist to keep a mindful eye upon the robots. Typically, robots are segregated from areas where human activities prevail unless they are directly providing a functional service. Rarely are robots (aside from robotic transports) allowed to travel and when this is unpreventable, they must register with the local authorities each time they enter a human settlement. A robot curfew exists in most communities.
 Some liberal minded citizens still advocate for a mutually respectful relationship between man and machine. Often they are members of the SPCA (the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Automatons). Their goal is to prevent the conditions which would lead to another bloody robot rebellion. Their motto is "make them our friends while we still can".

Offline huesped

• Mad Scientist
  • "-El Emperador no es tan magnánimo como yo"
« Reply #61 on: November 15, 2015, 08:07:22 PM »
damn cool background.  ::)

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #62 on: November 15, 2015, 08:46:58 PM »
damn cool background.  ::)

Sometimes I think I know how those robots felt!  lol

I think there is a gap in the market for a range of decent service robots without weapons, etc. The robotic civilians and workers.

Offline Zaheer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #63 on: November 16, 2015, 07:26:16 AM »
Sometimes the only appropriate response is to drool. I've never seen a table quite like this style-wise, and it's been executed very well also. And great fluff too.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #64 on: November 16, 2015, 07:31:47 AM »
I believe some one makes generic worker robots in one of the retro future pulp lines.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline sean_68333

• Scientist
    • Sean's Gaming and Shooting Blog
« Reply #65 on: November 18, 2015, 08:44:06 PM »
First rate terrain.  This looks great.

I tend toward the dirty run down type of terrain.  These bright colors give a completely different look to the table.

Thanks for sharing.
The winning player isn't always the better player.

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #66 on: November 19, 2015, 07:16:37 AM »
I believe some one makes generic worker robots in one of the retro future pulp lines.

Funnily enough I thought I'd seen some in a recent US kickstarter,  but can't find them.

Edit: i think I've found the ones I was thinking of: Salvage Crew Robots.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 07:21:55 AM by Elk101 »

Offline Carpet General

• Assistant
« Reply #67 on: November 21, 2015, 02:03:24 PM »
Very nice indeed, some of those pieces would be great for a Flash Gordon themed game.

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #68 on: November 26, 2015, 07:59:17 PM »
Very nice indeed, some of those pieces would be great for a Flash Gordon themed game.

Or almost anything Supermarionation!

Doug

Offline Aquamarine

• Bookworm
« Reply #69 on: November 29, 2015, 02:07:25 AM »
It is essential for a space colony to be self sufficient in food stuff. Thankfully, the latest technologies ensures that today's colonies are well supplied with a basic, nutrious but boring diet. Dotted throughout a colony, robot farms grow specific crops within their sectors. These produce are then distributed among them where they are transmogrified in size and held in stasis until called for by local markets.

Here is a typical vegetable farm (idea borrowed from the Woody Allen movie "Sleeper".

Offline Aquamarine

• Bookworm
« Reply #70 on: November 29, 2015, 02:11:18 AM »
The invaders were pleasantly surprised to find that human food were compatible with their biology. Therefore they kept all the robotic farms on the colony functioning.
Here is a typical fruit farm.

Offline Aquamarine

• Bookworm
« Reply #71 on: November 29, 2015, 02:12:44 AM »
Space Travel

In our recent past, intrepid explorers laid the groundwork for mankind's exploitation of space. Their exploration of the moon and discovery of bodies capable of sustaining life began the dream of establishing a permanent human presence among the stars. The invention of terraforming and discovery of previously unknown minerals that were vital for sustaining futuristic technologies, meant that space colonization is no longer a dream. The opportunity for people to leave the home world multiplied a thousand fold.
 A capacity to endure and a desire for challenge are key qualities for anyone who wants to travel and live in Space. Travelling from earth to a colony involves a long period of time confined to a cramp space, living on a bland diet of rationed water and food. Prolonged weightlessness is disorientating and detrimental to health. Loss of privacy and boredom leaves the traveller in a high state of irritability. On the other hand, the dependence upon chemical neural stimulants and mood stabilizers have side effects that leaves the passenger feeling constantly groggy.
 Recent advancements in short term comma induction (hyper-sleep) have provided the space traveller with a reduction in their awareness of tedium. Due to a danger of brain damage, the traveller is still required to be awake for prolonged segments of the journey. The idea of being in a state of suspended animation for an entire trip is pure science fiction. Space flight requires a great dependence upon automatic and robotic servers (whose past rebellion caused the death of seventeen million humans). The idea of leaving oneself vulnerable to the care of robots causes great anxiety, therefore it is law that at any given time a portion of the ship's complement must be awake to watch over the robots.
 Upon arrival, the traveller requires a period of stabilization and acclimatization so as to regain their pre-flight physical and mental prowess. The time required to achieve this varies depending upon the constitution of the individual. A military person would take a considerably shorter time to adjust compared to a civilian. This activity usually takes place at a reception/health centre. A strict regime of diet, exercise and mental examination is carefully administered by doctors, physiotherapist and occupational therapists. However due to the recent increase in travellers, the  availability of rehab beds is limited. Many new arrivals are now sent to their assigned homes and given a few days to "sleep it off".
 There is now a new approach of acclimatizing the traveller while orbiting the colony. The effectiveness of this have yet to be determined but it does take some pressure off the rehab centres.
 No one takes a journey into space without an assignment. The days of care free adventuring have passed. Space travel is now controlled by the great corporations. Time and money are the primary considerations. Travellers are contracted for five year terms specifically to fulfill a professional or technological skill as required by the company's activities. The worker in turn stands to make a tidy profit through hard work and frugal living. Many in fact stay well beyond their time to become informal citizens.
 Given the long travel time, it is in the best interest of these companies to retain as many workers as possible. Therefore despite pressure by civil authorities to do so, it has increasingly become a corporate practice to siphon off a portion of their huge profits in order to recreate the familiarities and comforts of Earth. As a result, entertainment centres are built, well known franchises and services are invited in and subsidized, while the cost of living is kept low. Immigration of small family units are encouraged although this is more directed towards persons holding professional and executive credentials.
 Two types of ships commonly ply the space lanes between colonies and Earth. Huge ships called "motherships" are the work horse cargo freighters. They are designed for large capacity loads and their cargo range is varying. Liquids, ore, finished goods, equipment, livestock and building materials are but some of the items which can be found within their copious hold.
 The other type of ship are the "runners". These are slim fast ships that are used for the purpose of passenger carriage, mail and courier service, survey exploration and inter colonial trade. The benefit of increased speed is offset by their small cargo capacity.
 The arrival of travellers is a welcomed event. They bring with them relatively current Earth news and the latest fashions, gadgetry and music. Even more smiled upon is when a ship arrives damaged. Colonies lack shipyards. The crippled ship is therefore quickly salvaged for desperately needed building material.

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #72 on: November 29, 2015, 08:16:58 AM »
Brilliant idea with the farm.  :-*. I love the thought that in the future we just grow BIGGER food to beat the hunger crisis! lol

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
« Reply #73 on: November 29, 2015, 08:47:46 AM »
Haha Monsanto  ;D

My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com

Offline huesped

• Mad Scientist
  • "-El Emperador no es tan magnánimo como yo"
« Reply #74 on: November 29, 2015, 03:20:08 PM »
Haha Monsanto  ;D

lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

Brilliant idea, and it definetely catches the vibe of all the retro-futuristic  scenery you built. congrats again. ;)