Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 12:44:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689751
  • Total Topics: 118293
  • Online Today: 763
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Planetoid 51  (Read 41193 times)

Offline Earther

• Mastermind
  • Sat at my Mac, lusting after lead…
Re: Planetoid 51
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2015, 09:56:11 AM »
A very cool melange of The Jetsons, Futurama and Fallout styles. 8) Impressive!

Offline Constable Bertrand

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2015, 11:03:16 AM »
OOh i like the new additions! The country town looks perfect for gaming on.

There is even a monorail!!  :o  :o  :-*  :-*

Monorail, Monorail, Monorail....

Cheers
Matt

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2015, 11:31:20 AM »
OMFG!
 :o :o :o

This has to be the best futuristic board I have seen for a loooooong time.
Absolutely stunning.
Full of glorious technicolour too.
 :-* :-* :-*

Some amazing and innovative ideas in there.
It makes me want to get to doing some retro sci-fi myself.....just so good!
 8) 8)

Please post more pictures.
Some of those cars and the scatter terrain up close would be much appreciated.
 :D

Oh, and, of course.....WELCOME ABOARD!

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2015, 01:09:28 PM »
Your World is BRILLIANT, IMAGINATIVE, AND WONDERFULLY colorful. VERY WELL DONE indeed!

I second Mason's request for more photos & some closeups...LOTS OF CLOSEUPS.
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2015, 03:58:04 PM »
One addition, these buildings were built in isolation of any gaming.

Gameworld, model world, close enough :)
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2015, 04:11:55 PM »
Err ma geeerd!  :-* :-* :-* :-*

Especially glad to see some one other than me doing Space Police even.  lol
My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com

Offline Warren Abox

• Scientist
    • War In A Box - New Location!
« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2015, 06:18:55 PM »
They got Bender Folding Bot?  Noooooo!

The few figures already shown in the terrain look great.  Really looking forward to seeing what you come up with for this table.

On a more specific note, that hotel is a brilliant piece of terrain.  You've got lots of height to work with, but it doesn't suck up huge chunks of valuable gaming real-estate.

Offline n815e

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #52 on: November 06, 2015, 02:23:00 PM »
To me, this is at a Gerry Anderson level of awesome.

Offline Aquamarine

• Bookworm
« Reply #53 on: November 08, 2015, 01:51:43 AM »
Hello, here is a portion of my background story for this project,
Planetoid 51
Origin
 The emergence of atomic power and weaponry were the key events which brought Earth into the Space age. Nuclear energy provided a clean, safe, powerful and reliable fuel source. This allowed for the creation of engines that could efficiently propel the technological icons of the future, ranging from robots to rocket ships.
 Secondly the widespread adoption of the atom bomb among world nations and the prospect of mutual annihilation, dampened the will to wage wars. A period of world peace prevailed. Scientific discoveries and breakthroughs in space travel blossomed.
 This age of peace was only briefly interrupted by a bloody robot rebellion. The resolution of this event was followed by another great period of peace. This time there was a shift away from further space exploration towards a consumerism that focused upon enjoying the benefits of the atomic age. The great figures like Flash Gordon, Buck Rogers and Wilma Deering, who first spurred the initial effort into space have now faded into honoured memory.
 Planetoid 51 was a unique discovery and from it's very beginning the civil administration decided to make it a model for space colonization. This meant forcing the giant financial conglomerates to devote a significant part of their profits towards civil development in exchange for their mining rights. It helped greatly that the mineral wealth underneath was so rare and profitable, that goodly amounts of money could be lavished without noticeably affecting profits.
 Planetoid 51 was designed to be a place where miners, company officials and support personnel could fulfill their five year contract in relative comfort despite being in outer space. Large sums of money were spent to transplant the trappings of Earth such as shopping centres, theatres, recreational halls, a TV network, and flying cars. Automated farms were built in abundance making the colony self sufficient in terms of rudimentary food stuff. The Wild West circus that characterized the early colonization of the moon was avoided. A large constabulary was brought in with the first terra formers. Prior to the Martian invasion the Planetoid was considered to be one of the safest among human settlements.
 The most persistent challenge concerns living space. Homes are cramp and available units are few. Building materials are costly to ship in. Materials are mainly salvaged from obsolescent or damaged space ships. Home sickness remains a problem however a reasonably stable population remains and growth continues. The length of time required for travelling to Earth also creates hardships. By the time movies, magazines and fashions arrive, popular trends may have well passed.
 Local governments are democratic. The overall administration is composed of corporation reps and a governor sent from the USAA (the United Sovereigns of the Atomic Age). The USAA is the largest alliance of nations within Earth. Its claim of the Planetoid is due to the simple fact that the stake-holding corporates are all headquartered within the alliance's nations.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2015, 07:52:43 PM »
Dig the background
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #55 on: November 09, 2015, 08:16:18 PM »
You do realize some of the grand names of the boards are heaping praise on you.

You've gone from inspired to inspiration. I hope you're satisfied!

Makes dilettantes of those of us just posting comments...  lol

*sniff* As I said before, all very nice.

Doug

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #56 on: November 09, 2015, 08:25:51 PM »
One addition, these buildings were built in isolation of any gaming. It is probably best to keep buildings in muted colours with small strips of brighter colours. It can be hard to see the figures on the board let alone their paint job with all the competing stimuli. Lastly here is two more picture of the city.

WOW! That's amazing. Very retro, and very cool.
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline Michka

• Mastermind
« Reply #57 on: November 11, 2015, 07:02:07 AM »
I know retro has been mentioned, but there's a real beauty to this that transcends the style. You've done a great job of giving a very stylized look just the right amount of realism. Just a few swaps of scatter terrain and vehicles and you have something that works for different settings. I'd be happy to play Star Trek, Judge Dredd or Flash Gordon on that terrain.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #58 on: November 11, 2015, 06:47:06 PM »
I know i said it before but, I really want to play some fallout reto-post Apocalypse with your buldings

Offline Aquamarine

• Bookworm
« Reply #59 on: November 15, 2015, 06:13:25 AM »
Again thanks to everyone for your encouragement and interest. We seem to be in a golden age with regards to Sci-fi gaming. There are a great variety of figures matching different Visions of the future. The infinity game is a big driver for futuristic buildings and acessories. These can be adapted to a lot of over Sci-if settings with minimal or no modifications. It is a good time for those who enjoy scenic tables.