Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:25:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690822
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Abyssinian Crisis project blog (update 21JUN17) - **It. Askari platoon **  (Read 28683 times)

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
Re: The Abyssinian Crisis project blog
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2015, 09:51:20 PM »
Thanks chaps, nice to be here.  I couldn't find many other folk interested in Abyssinia six years ago but glad you're around now!  I love gaming this period and will hopefully be able to chip in at certain points, though I am deep in WW1 mode at the moment.

I don't have a single colour picture of the green colour I mentioned, as all the photos are b/w, but when you look at tones it appears fairly dark.  I think grey-green is the most likely, with a serious coating of dust. The most interesting thing is the original tank markings.  I will try to get time to dig my references and pictures out.

Offline Happy Wanderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2015, 11:04:38 PM »
Good stuff James,

Hopefully your group has some WW1 Brits because you'll then also have TAC British troops ready to go...off course you have Italains and Abyssinians already. The game adaptation rules for CoC- Abyssinia builds off the CoC Espana and CoC-WW1 variant so this is going to be a very easy fit for you blokes!!

Glad to have you around on this one.

Cheers

Happy W
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 11:06:14 PM by Happy Wanderer »

Offline Happy Wanderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2015, 07:00:36 PM »
Gents,

I've popped up another post on the Abyssinian Crisis blog. It's a second book review, brief, but hopefully useful. Del Boca's book is a good 'war gamer's book' in my view. It nicely summates the Ethiopian War and is somewhat shorter and more accessible than the last book I reviewed, Haile Sellasie's War.

In the coming days we'll be kicking off the army descriptions that set the scene for the The Abyssinian Crisis.

Regards

R

https://abyssiniancrisis.wordpress.com/2015/11/08/the-ethiopian-war-1935-41/

« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 04:54:30 AM by Happy Wanderer »

Offline Happy Wanderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2015, 02:07:21 AM »
Ok chaps,

As part of the ongoing blog we start with the Armies.

First up Italy, with a brief description of the forces involved and some of their motivations. We'll follow on with organisational detail and then onto the Ethiopian, British and French forces using the same format.

For now, here are the Italians.

Cheers

Happy W

https://abyssiniancrisis.wordpress.com/2015/11/12/italian-army/

« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 04:56:09 AM by Happy Wanderer »

Offline Happy Wanderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2015, 02:12:16 AM »
Just a small note,

There has also been a discussion taking place on the TFL Chain of Command forum. Some interesting points have been brought up and good chit-chat on the topic.

So, FYI here is the thread.

Cheers

Happy W

http://toofatlardies.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=3130

« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 02:13:58 AM by Happy Wanderer »

Offline Happy Wanderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2015, 08:20:08 AM »
Gents,

The second part of the Italian army is the Army order of battle for The Abyssinian Crisis. This was compiled from a number of sources to identify the troops around the time of the Ethiopian Christmas Offensive (Dec ’35) and sets up the Italian strategic dispositions in the relative theatres of operation.

http://wp.me/p6mUyQ-56

Next up will be the Ethiopian Army.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2015, 03:50:58 PM »
Thanks for posting this up.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Happy Wanderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2015, 03:46:29 AM »
My pleasure Commissar,

I do realise that LAF is for showing off sexy pics of minis and TAC at the moment is less on the lead pics and more on the info but it's important to get the info easily accessible and set the scene before moving on the more pleasurable aspects of why you're painting and using your figures or would consider buying some more, when and where, etc, etc... given the whole 'what if' nature of it all.

The truth is the info is not that easy to find and quite scattered and Arlequin and I are trying to get some background in place so people get a sense of what aspects appeal to them possibly before using some of those old figures sitting in the corner to get pressed into action if your fancy is some interwar shenanigans...

..so I hope I'm not boring the readership to much...

Here's a nice pic of some Abyssinians I painted using a 'soft wash' technique I'll be describing in a later post..they paint up quick!!

Happy W

« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 03:51:46 AM by Happy Wanderer »

Offline Happy Wanderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2015, 08:09:09 PM »
Next instalment are the details on the Ethiopian Army. Finding information was/is quite hard on the Ethiopian force of this time, it being a combination of tribal, para military and militarised components….with a fair dose of warrior culture thrown in. It’d be great if any one has hard to find details on the Ethiopian, or access to them, to pass on a link or any other info, which would be much appreciated.

Anyway, for now, here are the Ethiopians.

https://abyssiniancrisis.wordpress.com/2015/11/17/ethiopian-army/

Cheers

Happy W

« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 08:11:15 PM by Happy Wanderer »

Offline kramsenoj

• Student
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2015, 08:19:30 PM »
Please keep the information coming folks. Fires the imagination.

Its a fascinating idea for a game project. I'm going through my mounds of stuff to find suitable bits and pieces to try to game it at the Lardies Chain of Command level of conflict. A platoon or two for starters.

Offline Happy Wanderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2015, 08:59:18 PM »
Hi kramsenoj,

Info shall keep flowing..as you wish :D :D

I've mentioned it once or twice before but full army lists for Chain of Command will be released in December to provide players with all that they'll need to get going on building any number of forces for The Abyssinian Crisis...

...stay tuned!

(here's the link to the TFL thread - http://toofatlardies.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=3130)

Thanks for your interest!

Cheers

Happy W
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 07:44:10 AM by Happy Wanderer »

Offline Happy Wanderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2015, 08:19:06 AM »
Gents,

The organiation details for the Ethiopian forces in The Abyssinian Crisis are now uploaded to the TAC blog. This post details the location and size of the Ethiopian forces at the time of the The Abyssinian Crisis providing players with the positional details and force types to help set up scenario and potential campaign information.

To round out the the Ethiopian Army post we shall upload the details of the Abyssinian Armoured Field Force…but for now, here are the operational dispositions of Haile Selassie’s warriors.

Cheers

Happy W

https://abyssiniancrisis.wordpress.com/2015/11/18/ethiopian-army-the-abyssinian-crisis/
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 11:26:45 PM by Happy Wanderer »

Offline Happy Wanderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2015, 07:44:54 AM »
Gents,

In the ongoing description of the armies of The Abyssinian Crisis we take a look at the third power, Great Britain, and her forces in the mid-thirties. An army in evolution it was more WW1 than WW2, possibly even more colonial than WW1, even-though the Second World War was but 3 years away. It's an interesting force, not like you might imagine and with info that has proven surprisingly hard to find.

Hopefully this post will give a snapshot of His Majesties Forces that will be useful.

Cheers

Happy W

https://abyssiniancrisis.wordpress.com/2015/11/22/british-army/

Offline Shaved Dwarf

• Scientist
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2015, 07:05:51 PM »
Thank you very much for collecting all this information. For some years now I fancy to start gaming in the interwar period, and your effort makes it more and more likely that this becomes reality.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2015, 07:57:07 PM »
Another useful entry :)

It's also worth noting that British uniforms didn't change until 1939, so if fielding interwar British, you can use late WWI figures.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.