Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:55:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686454
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: After Show Report: The Men Who Would Be Kings at Hereward Wargame Show  (Read 11427 times)

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
Re: After Show Report: The Men Who Would Be Kings at Hereward Wargame Show
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2015, 03:08:27 PM »
This looks like a very fun game with nice painted minis and cool terrain. I love this period.
, ,

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2015, 06:13:32 PM »
Do the MWWBK rules still have the mixed weapon upgrade so units of Pathans could be armed with swords and muskets? 

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2015, 07:22:39 PM »
Do the MWWBK rules still have the mixed weapon upgrade so units of Pathans could be armed with swords and muskets? 

Tribal warriors in the rules have hand weapon and a short range shooting value. We removed the shooting value from our swordsmen quite deliberately, as the Pathan riflemen are classed as 'irregulars' not 'tribal'. This works better for us and actually does reflect the period very well when you play it on the tabletop. 'Tribal' warriors have such short range shooting they don't reflect the Pathans' long range shooting, whereas 'irregulars' get more options for shooting.

I hope that makes sense! We do make a few tweaks for period colour!!!  :D

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2015, 07:24:41 PM »
As one of the players in the 12.30pm slot, I can honestly say that the guys set new high standards for running a participation game at a UK show. The table was very well presented, excellent toy soldiers and charmingly and informatively umpired. They both did the rules credit in their presentation and kept four experienced gamers happily entertained for nearly three hours, no mean feat. Top job fellas, I shall definitely be investing in a copy when the rules are published next year. Thanks for your hard work and for creating a very positive experience. All in the finest traditions of this forum.   

Thank you so much!! That means a lot to both Andy and me!!! :D So glad you enjoyed it.

Offline danmer

• Librarian
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2015, 07:36:21 PM »
Hey Andy (actually, that should read, The Andies), it sounds like you did a great job, and the photos look great. Thanks very much!

:D

Offline danmer

• Librarian
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2015, 07:39:57 PM »
@robh ... If you mean do they 'still' have mixed weapons because of Lion Rampant, you'll find that quite a lot has changed from those rules. Although similar in style, the rules are a little different.

As Andy says, Tribal units usually have limited firepower and expect to charge, and better trained/better shots should be fielded as Irregulars. It's all explained in the rules... Just another, errr, half year or so to wait  ;)

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2015, 09:35:28 PM »
Thanks for the answers. I have (and really like) the Lion Rampant rules but obviously not having seen MWWBK was making a guess that the unit types would be based on LR the same as DR forces are being.
Just seemed odd to see such neatly divided tribal units in the AAR when that is not how they fought.

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2015, 10:58:37 PM »
Thanks for the answers. I have (and really like) the Lion Rampant rules but obviously not having seen MWWBK was making a guess that the unit types would be based on LR the same as DR forces are being.
Just seemed odd to see such neatly divided tribal units in the AAR when that is not how they fought.

Fair enough, but not every Pathan had a gun, even in 1897. And the riflemen can still attack with their swords.  :D
Historically, some groups would snipe while others worked their way into charge positions with their swords, especially in the pre-1890s period. I know that the unit delineation wouldn't be as neat as we have it, but it's a really good way of simulating the warfare at the scale we are working. Having read quite extensively about the period over the past 10 years, it matches my perception of the fighting well enough. The great thing about the rules is that you can tweak bits to suit how you feel warfare of the period worked. Win-win situation as far as I can see.  :D

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2015, 12:41:47 PM »
Bloody marvelous looking stuff Andy!!  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

I was looking forward to seeing the pics and they do not disappoint! 8)

Darrell.

Offline ragbones

• Scientist
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2015, 10:56:39 PM »
Did you handcraft the terrain mats or are they from a company? I really like them.
Hail to the King, baby.

Offline Rob Herrick

• Librarian
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2015, 11:07:29 PM »
Beautiful figs and terrain!

What manufacturer made the buildings used for the village, or were they scratch built? Also, what manufacturers did you use for the British and Indian forces, esecially those Punjabi?

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2015, 07:51:23 AM »
Did you handcraft the terrain mats or are they from a company? I really like them.

Mats are Deep Cut Studios as sold by Bigredbat (Simon Miller) in his online store. Very expensive, but well worth it - washable, iron-able, fold down to A4 size so easy to store - he does green ones too.

Figures:

Pathans: Old Glory (mostly) and Castaway Arts
Queen's British infantry: Empress (Zulu War range)
Sikhs, Gurkhas, Punjabis: Foundry (The 'Punjabis' are actually Guides infantry models by Foundry)
Artillery: Perry
Lancers: Castaway Arts rider, Dixon horses, perry Officer

Village: Colonial Steamboat Company from EBAY.
Watchtower: Bespoke commission done for me by Oshiro Model Terrain (Jimbibbly on this forum)

Scenery: Table-scape stepped hills, a GW plastic hill, another hill by Last Valley, 2 of the old GW Warhammer hills with added slate rocks and sand. Much aquarium 'rock' plus various other resin rocks, etc, bought via EBAY, much lichen of various autumnal and desert shades...

Glad you all like the display!  :D

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2015, 11:13:42 PM »
Fine game chaps, and great to catch up with both of you. Looking forward to seeing some paint on that fort you bought.

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2015, 12:28:02 AM »
I'm looking forward to their release...speaking of men who would be kings anyone else spot these two shifty lads on northstars facebook?

Offline sjwalker51

• Scientist
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2015, 08:51:49 AM »
I was lucky enough to play my first game of MWWBK with one of the play testers yesterday and was very impressed., as a long-time 'colonial buff'. The troop classification system is very flexible and the game mechanisms, while simple, are not simplistic and give a great game (sic) albeit in Hollywood style.

Already wondering how these rules will look and play in 15mm with 1 stand of 3-4 figures substituting for a single 28mm: should look impressive with Dervish 'rub of 50-60 figures each.

Only one thing that didn't seem quite right, maybe we were doing something wrong: the Zulu Married units were incredibly resilient: even after suffering 80%+ casualties, the veterans kept passing their Rally tests, unpinning and coming back for more - there are no modifiers for accumulated casualties on a unit that I can see? What's your experience of that, Andy?