Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:09:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 5150 - by 2 hour wargames  (Read 5392 times)

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
5150 - by 2 hour wargames
« on: November 20, 2008, 03:06:42 PM »
During one of my internet nomadic wanderings I stumbled over 5150, and since I've heard other folk mentioned it here, I thought I'd ask for a run down of the game? How do the rules play? Does it use D6, D10, D20? Is it truly generic in that you're able to create whatever forces you'd like?
Thanks,
Dijit80

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://anevilgiraffe.blogspot.com/
Re: 5150 - by 2 hour wargames
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 03:17:48 PM »
Is it truly generic in that you're able to create whatever forces you'd like?

I would say no... not as people would have you believe... I bought it expecting some kind of army generation thing, with stats for standard weapons and armour kind of thing... there isn't... there are lists for lots of different armies, inc Grymn, but nothing to guide you in generating your own... you can lift from the different army lists, but that isn't what I was hoping for... for all of it's generic army creation, you could do the same with the latest 40k or any other ruleset...

No Limits is free and does have generic force creation, but I've not really had chance to read it....

Offline itchy

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 03:26:55 PM »
you can download a couple of rule sets from two hour wargames from there web site for free i have not played any of them but understand they are all pretty much the same basics so you may get some idea from them, and they also have a yahoo group as well?

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 05:39:20 PM »
All 2WH share similar mechanics, and group members have adapted games to suit their own requirements. Check out Chain Reaction, it's free and is designed to be generic.
Waiter, my soup is giggling.

Offline wolfgangbrooks

• Mad Scientist
    • http://www.recreationalconflict.com
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 09:18:38 PM »
It's a D6 based system with one stat for figures and a couple for weapons and maybe some modifying skills if you want. And basically the way it plays is the two groups advance until they come into sight of one another and then you roll on reaction tables depending on your army/race to determine whether your models fire/return fire/duck for cover etc. These reaction rolls will go back and forth until one side or the other is in cover and out of sight or dead/retreating.

So the game will eventually boil down to taking pot shots from cover until you can pin your opponent and sneak around to do nasty things to him. It's realistic I suppose, but it does take almost all control out of your hands until there's another lull in the fighting. So it's good for solo gaming as the enemy is essentially already programmed for you.
Recreational Conflict: www.recreationalconflict.com

Jibbery style oinkery which don't make no damn sense.

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 07:50:00 AM »
hmmm, some how that doesn't seem to conince me that I should go and invest in it. So back to the drawing and continue working on my own set.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 09:03:57 AM »
I really think you should try No Limits, as suggested.  :)
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://anevilgiraffe.blogspot.com/
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 09:16:01 AM »

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2008, 09:17:42 AM »
i've had a look at 'no limits', it seemed a little GW like to my tastes, but maybe I should just give it a try.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2008, 09:25:38 AM »
Ah, yes the profiles and some of the mechanics can seem somewhat GW.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2008, 11:16:09 AM »
I always hesitate to comment on THW games as they do have a big fan base.  I have played quite a few versions of their reaction rules over the years whether Sci Fi, Zombies, WW2, FIW etc and cant get to grips with the Reaction part, it just doesnt work for me.

I can see it being ideal for umpire games or use in roll playing but it does to some extent to be a spinning top type of wargames where the tables rule and you almost sit back and wait for it to stop.

Saying that the support for it is second to none and if I were to ever be a lonesome dove gamer I would be pulling these down from my shelf and using them

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2008, 11:28:54 AM »
I've yet to try Bugz! (from THW), but from reading the rules I have a feeling that I'll agree with Lowthardog. I know lots of people like the THW-rules, and I cannot say for sure I won't after actually trying them, but they seem somewhat... well 'weird' is the word closest to what I'm trying to say. They're definately very different to most other rulesets out there.

Offline Helljumper

• Student
    • Post Apoc Wargames Forum
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2008, 11:56:18 AM »
Why not download Chain Reaction for free http://www.angelfire.com/az3/twohourwargames/cr2.htm and try it for yourself, Chain Reaction is 5150 minus all the extra stuff, personally THW rules are my favorite ruleset.  They are different, but are excellent for solo gaming.
Obey the overseer and don't touch the tinned fruit.

http://s1.zetaboards.com/Post_Apoc_Wargames/index/

Offline postal

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2008, 12:16:45 PM »
Its seems like a pretty good game system fast and fun I saw them play last weekend at millium con.and they are located close to me.

Offline mahon

• Bookworm
    • Chest Of Colors: All About Miniature Painting
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2008, 01:56:17 PM »
To me 5150 is ecxactly what I like.

I was never a 'total control' kind of a player and preferred the feel of chaotic combat. That's why I stopped playing most GW games as they were too predictable to me.

In THW games you have pretty good control over your troops as long as they're well led and/or good quality. Otherwise you will have problems activating them, making them do what they want instead of just acting instinctively.

It quite resembles the 'orders vs initiative' concept of Warmaster, Blitzkrieg commander, and such - just implemented in a different way. Your troops can react to what's going around - the better they are the better their reactions will be. But if you want to control what they do - you need to use your leaders well.

To me it's a good example of the 'command but not control' concept - you tell what you want to do, but you don't know if your troopers will execute your order exactly as you want them to.

As for generic character of THW - well, it gives you almost everything you may need: a wide set of attributes, quite many types of pretty generic equipment, rules for creating vehicles. Making your own weapons, attributes, or units is easy as you just assign the numbers which feel right and there you go. If you don't want to use one of the generic sets of reactions provided, you can tweak them to your liking (like we  did with a few armies in our 40k conversion),

It surely lacks one thing you might want, and I don't care for: good point system.
You can design your units, weapons, etc. but there's no formula to calculate their point values. The rationale is that no point system is fair and accurate in as varied circumstances as can be found. There  is a point system but it's no good I would say, even though I like the game a lot. I simply ignore the points and go on without them...

Don't bother with BUGS, it's a very old ruleset. Better run the game in Chain Reaction 2.0 - it's a very good game, even though much was improved and changed in the later period-specific games.

One thing to remember though: War is not fair, not just. THW games are not balanced. The point systems are not accurate.
And if you want to have extensive control over your models, don't bother and steer away from THW.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 01:59:31 PM by mahon »
Mahon
Chest of Colors: All About Miniature Painting