Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:31:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689615
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Couple of Questions  (Read 1590 times)

Offline ogretyrant

• Schoolboy
Couple of Questions
« on: November 05, 2015, 09:43:56 AM »
Hi all, it's my first game tonight and I have a couple of questions....

1, Enchant Weapon, the spell states multiple castings of this spell have no effect, but what about bought or found magic items? Could I for example enchant a +2 fight hand weapon to give it +3 fight and then embed it when the game is finished to give it a permanent +3 fight? I couldn't find anything in the rules that disallowed this. Could this also be used for Enchant Armour?

2, Out of Game Spells, can I cast these before my first game. For example Animate Construct or Enchant Weapon/Embed Enchantment?

3, Elemental Hammer, does this work on a bow?

4, What are peoples thoughts on a wizard with a bow? Get the shoot stat to +5 and a +1 shoot bow for +6 or +7 one off shot with a Enchanted Arrow? Leaves out the danger of casting a spell (apart from enchantment's of course). Or would it be better to just lower the cost of say a bonedart spell and keep the item slot free?

Thanks!

Offline Darkson71

• Mad Scientist
  • Rolling 1s so you don't have to since '95
    • Home of the ARBBL
Re: Couple of Questions
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2015, 10:46:43 AM »
1. You can't enchant an already enchanted weapon, so no, you can't cast it on a magical weapon (in the FAQ thread somewhere).

2. Yes, you can cast OOG spells before your first game, but Enchant Weapon isn't an OOG spell, so you've nothing to Embed before your first game.  ;)

3. No, only on an arrow (so one-shot only) (again, in the FAQ thread somewhere).

4. We've yet to see a wizard with a bow, as it's easier to get a decent casting number on an offensive spell (which potentially have a longer range).  Here, people have been boosting Fight to avoid being shot.
The other problem with your suggestion is that is two turns worth of activation to get one shot off.  T1 cast enchant (along with a move if you wish), then T2 you can shoot - meanwhile, a bonedart/elemental bolt caster has had at least one shoot in return, potentially two if they got initiative.
Home of the ARBBL
"I survived the 525"

Offline ogretyrant

• Schoolboy
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2015, 12:06:06 PM »
Far to many pages to go through on that thread. If I can cast OOG spells before my first game I can cast enchant weapon and embed enchantment. As embed enchantment says I can cast enchant weapon OOG. Thanks! Would love to check out the FAQ thread but there's over 30 pages! Thanks again!

Offline Smith

• Mad Scientist
    • Plastic Malpractice – Kitbashing, Wargames & Stuff
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2015, 12:21:07 PM »
Actually, that's not what Embed Enchantment says. It reads "a spellcaster may cast either of those spells after a game (even though neither are usually an Out of Game spell), immediately followed by Embed Enchantment."

Embed Enchantment doesn't make Enchant Weapon/Armour an OOG spell. If it did, you would be correct, and it would be a viable attempt before the first game. Rather, it gives a limited opportunity to use it as if it were - the limitation quite clearly being "after a game".
Phil Smith
Head of Osprey Games

Plastic Malpractice – Kitbashing, Wargames & Stuff

OWG Resources HERE!