Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:58:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689675
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Ming Dynasty miniatures in 28mm?  (Read 31583 times)

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
Ming Dynasty miniatures in 28mm?
« on: November 05, 2015, 06:49:18 PM »
I recently bought the bluray of the original 1967 Dragon Inn film by King Hu. The design of the inn for this version (1992 version also an excellent film, the 2011 version, not so much) started the building juices flowing and so I fancy making a small skirmish game around the events portrayed.

My problem is I can't find any suitable miniatures :(
Any suggestions?

Offline FunkyBrush

• Scientist
    • FunkyBrush's Painting Blog
Re: Ming Dynasty miniatures in 28mm?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2015, 07:24:13 PM »
They are releasing King Hu movies on Bluray!? Come Drink with Me and A Touch of Zen are some of my favourite movie of all time.
Don't know about the minis. But North Strar is working on ming chinese.
http://miniatures-painting.blogspot.com/

What a fascinating modern age we live in

Offline Adam

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2015, 11:41:03 AM »

Offline Lagartija Mike

• Librarian
  • Ride or Die, KANGARAT MURDER SOCIETY!
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 02:46:56 AM »
Ming in 28mm is few, far between and generally terrible. I've seen some beautiful stuff out of Germany but it's in 1/72 and I'm unsure if its commercially available. I'm not sure why the Ming have been so undeserved since they constitute the Toyotomi regime's most formidable opponent in the Imjin War and, in their earliest phase, squaring off against Timur-i-Lenk.

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2015, 07:43:39 AM »
It looks like this will remain on hold until I see some miniatures I like.

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2015, 08:41:19 AM »
Clibinarium has hinted he his currently sculpting a range for an as yet unannounced manufacturer.  There are odds that would work in some of the earlier period ranges from SHQ, Newline etc. and Irregular have Ming but its clutching at straws.  I have about 100 Cavalcade (now Forlorn Hope) which I mostly converted from the original poses but I am not too much a fan of the later heavy infantry figures.  The preview from Northstar looked very similar, not sure if Mike Owen did both?, they are nice enough figures but for me pale when placed alongside the Perry Koreans. Here's hoping Clibinarium comes up trumps, what I have seen of his recent stuff bodes well.
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2015, 08:51:07 AM »
I've had a look at the TAG Song and Mongol miniatures and I might use them as an alternative.

Offline Lagartija Mike

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2015, 08:30:11 PM »
North Star does a Ming range?

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2015, 08:40:05 PM »
North Star does a Ming range?

North Star is going to release a Ming "warband" for Ronin, nothing more. Expect 10 figures at most (probably fewer), all oriented toward skirmish gaming.

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=83057.0
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline clibinarium

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2015, 10:42:19 PM »
Clibinarium has hinted he his currently sculpting a range for an as yet unannounced manufacturer. 

I was beginning to think people were missing the hints  ;)
I can confirm I am working on a Ming range to fit with the existing Perry ranges (though I am not suggesting my work is to the same high standard as their figures). Its been cooking for quite a while now, its a personal project and will launch as a Kickstarter early next year some time. Provisional plans are for about 20 packs of infantry and 7 or 8 of cavalry. There's a lot of work to be done yet, but I'll post previews here when I have the first figures done.

Offline Lagartija Mike

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2015, 03:45:06 AM »
Clibanarium, are you including regional troops in the range? Also, will they be appropriate for the armies of the (Southern) Ming refugee courts in the south?

Offline Byblos

• Mad Scientist
  • Les Echelles du Levant ...
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2015, 10:21:53 AM »
Clibinarium it's a very good idea ! i hope this will be a success !

Ming will be a very interesting (and historical) opponent for the Perry Sengoku Jidaļ range ... and idem as an ally for the Perry Coreans  ;)

One question : 25mm or 28mm !?

Offline clibinarium

• Librarian
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2015, 08:54:23 PM »
I don't want to be too specific yet as plans are subject to change. The focus of the range will be the Imjin war, and will be designed to fit with the Perry Koreans, which are a bit bigger than their samurai, so they are definitely 28s.
As for regional troops; well the range will be a core of the most common types of soldier, the cavalry will suit Northern armies most closely, the infantry Southern armies. Regionally distinct troops will probably be fitted into stretch goals, like the Lang Bing/Wolf troop, or Koxinga's Tie Ren/ Iron Men, so that will depend on how the campaign goes.

The focus is not the Southern Courts period, but there should be useful troops for that.

Offline BlackWidowPilot

• Scientist
  • "Mwahahahahaahaaaaaa!!!"
    • "It's Them! Blast 'Em!"
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2015, 03:03:09 AM »
I don't want to be too specific yet as plans are subject to change. The focus of the range will be the Imjin war, and will be designed to fit with the Perry Koreans, which are a bit bigger than their samurai, so they are definitely 28s.
As for regional troops; well the range will be a core of the most common types of soldier, the cavalry will suit Northern armies most closely, the infantry Southern armies. Regionally distinct troops will probably be fitted into stretch goals, like the Lang Bing/Wolf troop, or Koxinga's Tie Ren/ Iron Men, so that will depend on how the campaign goes.

The focus is not the Southern Courts period, but there should be useful troops for that.

Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes!  :D
Leland R. Erickson
Metal Express
www.silent-death.mx

\\\\\\\"Clouseau! Give me ten men like him, and I can destroy the whole world!\\\\\\\" -Inspector Charles Dreyfus

Offline Vern

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2015, 03:14:04 PM »
The focus of the range will be the Imjin war

Very interesting, looking forward to seeing how it pans out  :)

And, more for completeness (as there's no photos on their site :-X), Scheltrum also have Ming Dynasty range.