Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:25:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The re-birth of Drake's Branch, NM. (New warehouse complex, page 9!)  (Read 33524 times)

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: The re-birth of Drake's Branch, NM. (DMH Buildings, page 2)
« Reply #120 on: November 11, 2013, 04:20:05 AM »
Yeah, I'm more making due with some old wagon I assembled a year or two ago and some Civil War horses...so I suppose beggars can't be choosers.  lol  Eventually I'll do a couple of legitimate stagecoaches/wagons properly with proper teams etc.  This is more a stand-in thing for use in games if players insist of trying to hook up to one of the wagons on the table.

Ideally I'd like maybe 3-4 legitimate wagon kits/models done up properly.  That's a ways off though.  lol
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Landsknecht

• Librarian
  • CaptAIN CAAAAAAveman!
    • Landsknecht1525 Youtube Channel
« Reply #121 on: November 11, 2013, 08:21:03 PM »
Outstanding work.  Will you be adding cacti to the outskirts of the town?  Being from the Southwest, you can't walk 5 feet without navigating around a cactus.  I think the most common cacti in New Mexico would be the prickly pear.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opuntia

A patch of cacti can be about 10 to 20 feet wide.  You can't walk through it, you have to go around.  In gaming terms, it would cause concealment but is not considered hard cover, and impassable for models on foot or mounted.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #122 on: November 11, 2013, 09:24:55 PM »
Yep, I have some plastic cactii in a box - having spent four years in the BP down in AZ workin' the desert I am uncomfortably familiar with cactus.  I have many scars to prove it (and I think I still have some Cholla stuck in my hands and legs...)

lol

Offline Constable Bertrand

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
« Reply #123 on: November 17, 2013, 02:17:42 AM »
Hey Elbows,

Beautiful little town with so much variety, stuff and 'western' charm. The colours and hand painted signs really pull the place together. You should have a sign writer shop ;)

After pouring over every image of your wonderful town, I'm left wondering... what ever happened to your choo-choo?

Cheers
Matt.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #124 on: November 17, 2013, 05:32:04 AM »
It's sitting in pieces...just got distracted.  I am debating getting another one and starting over.  I have stuff to make tracks, just been lazy.  It will happen eventually!  lol

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
« Reply #125 on: November 17, 2013, 07:10:38 AM »
Ah, a "wizards tower".  lol Well get another one then with better plastic. ;) who knows perhaps you need a steam thingymagiggy for VSF, or a traction engine with the spare parts.

Cheers
Matt

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #126 on: June 06, 2014, 09:39:26 PM »
(wipes off cobwebs)

Yes, my Old West project was nearly done...and yes I still have a damnable choo choo waiting on the wings.  However this week I finally got around to doing my least favourite of things...basing things. 

I finally broke open my 4Ground fences and decided to make a number of enclosures and one under-construction (read: I had a bunch of bits sitting around and not enough fence left to make an enclosure).   I also found a dozen tree armatures sitting in a bag...and half a bag of lichen so another five tree stands got underway.  Then, for no friggin' reason at all, while looking at a spare wagon wheel I decided to make a wind-mill.

I've been asked to host a game at a charity convention sometime next month so I figured now was  good a time as any to put some more polish on the town.

(and yes I've been a bit manic lately...pursuing an entire Dungeon crawl project, adding a dozen gladiators to my ludus, and I will be purchasing some cavalry/indians for the start of the SnS expansion, lol)

In addition I'll be retiring three of my "eh" older fenced pieces. 

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
Some great additions, mate.
 :-*

Welcome back to the fold.
 :D

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
Every town needs a windmill... and a train. now get steaming on the engine elbows, I've done mine :D

Cheers
Matt

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Well, sure, they look nice and nice modeling.  But, as a life long resident of the west, I'm not sure I've seen any fences like that unless you count the 'new' west.  Mind, I could be wrong.  Of course, they will make fine places for the figures to hide in.

Looks like its time for some more research.

Here is a link I found: http://www.google.com/search?q=fencing+in+america's+old+west&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=onuSU5_pLc3yoASS54LACQ&ved=0CB8QsAQ&biw=1274&bih=636

A couple of very non-American wattle and daub type fences in there and one very similar to yours that is ABSOLUTELY New West.  The closest to yours is the one at the bottom left, all the way to the bottom of the first screen - and the closest I've seen to that is at Fort Ross, an old Russian settlement on California's coast.

In that link, though, are lots of examples of fences that you would find in the Old West.

So, how about you scratch up some of those picket fences with the curlicue tops!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 02:45:32 AM by FifteensAway »

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Having lived in the South West I don't care too much about accuracy.  I'm not going to spend my time modelling a bunch of mesquite tree fences and barbed wire.  ;) 

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: The re-birth of Drake's Branch, NM. (Trees and fences an...zzzzzzz - Page 9)
« Reply #131 on: February 16, 2015, 12:24:40 AM »
(blows dust off thread)

I received a box in the mail from Mark at Crescent Root studios while I was away training for a new gig.  I picked it up a few weeks back and tossed it in a corner (I don't have any glue or hobby supplies in my new apartment yet).  Today I decided to bust out the box and thumb through it for sheer boredom.  Imagine my surprise when I realized this kit didn't need glue!

This is a factory/warehouse compound I picked up.  Laser-cut MDF, pre-painted etc.  Quasi-detailed interiors (ie. floors, nothing else).

What you're looking at is the four main brick structures (well 3+1) and the walls.  All for a good price actually.  I'll do a break down of the buildings sometime.  They're semi-pre-assembled (is that a thing?).  Some components are glued in place before they ship them to you.  There are small wall attachments which allow you to slot the sides together with small metal pins.  The wood work is a very very thin layer of card/wood which is applied to the outside of the brick (done for you).  It eliminates most of the joints you'd see in MDF.  It's a neat idea with a few flaws.

1) The wood work is super duper thin...any snags when assembling and you'll break it.  Not overly gamer-friendly.
2) Some of my wood posts for the metal pins were out of whack (they're glued before you get them in the mail) and one of my walls is slightly warped because of this.
3) The pins are neat and let you break the buildings back down but for any serious gaming you'll want to glue the buildings together.
4) The loft flooring slots into the walls with supremely thin pegs...one of which broke the second I slotted them in.

All in all I'm happy and think this'll pass well enough for a 1890's-1900's building for late Old West stuff and can easily be used for WW2, moderns, etc.  Nice kit.  Once I get my model supplies I'll be gluing them together etc.  I'm impressed enough I'll be buying some more of Mark's MDF stuff.

PS: This would look great along a railroad line...something I should finish.

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
Re: The re-birth of Drake's Branch, NM. (New warehouse complex, page 9!)
« Reply #132 on: September 14, 2015, 07:09:09 AM »
Hi Elbows
Trawling through old stuff came across your old thread, most of the pictures are missing for me. Some of the ones on the later posts are there.
I would really like to read through it all as I am trying to make a decision on MDF or scratch build, is it a simple matter to create the links again, if not don't worry but dont go to any trouble.
Thanks
John

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #133 on: October 27, 2015, 01:19:41 AM »
I'll be re-igniting my Old West stuff at some point, unfortunately I killed (overloaded) my Photobucket account and will have to go the way of the blog here shortly.

I run too many huge-picture threads and I'm out of space, so I had to clear some aside.  I'll start a new thread at some point. 

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #134 on: November 10, 2015, 07:42:25 PM »
OK I will look forward to it, thanks for the reply