Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:22:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Argonor's Colonial Calamities  (Read 15034 times)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
Re: Argonor's Colonial Calamities
« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2017, 09:57:57 PM »
your progress for time being. Have you got a separate thread for scenery and terrain?

No, when I get around to it, progress will be noted here as well (with details on the blog). I am not much of a builder, but my decision to cut back on hobby expenses the next 6 months at least may herald a lot of time spent on  scenery, of which a lot will then be scratch-built and/or made from stuff i already have in store, for various projects (as well as getting some of the back-log painted).
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2017, 06:30:33 PM »
No, when I get around to it, progress will be noted here as well (with details on the blog). I am not much of a builder, but my decision to cut back on hobby expenses the next 6 months at least may herald a lot of time spent on  scenery, of which a lot will then be scratch-built and/or made from stuff i already have in store, for various projects (as well as getting some of the back-log painted).

This sounds like a good solid plan! I am trying to do the same with my sci-fi project, although some bits and bobs need to be purchased still  >:(

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2017, 06:41:13 PM »
This sounds like a good solid plan! I am trying to do the same with my sci-fi project, although some bits and bobs need to be purchased still  >:(

There's always that little something.... I am getting a pack of mini-cds for terrain bases somewhen this or next month, and I may need to buy some plastic aquarium deco trees I just saw for the first time, but at least that kind of stuff is rather inexpensive.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 08:47:59 PM by Argonor »

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2017, 06:30:07 PM »
I am getting a pack of mini-cds for terrain bases somewhen this or next month,

And here they are:

Less than DKK 2 a piece - hard to beat for price and durability!

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2017, 06:32:37 PM »
That's quite a pile of them!  :o

You will get a jungle out of them... are you sure you have enough "plants" to be planted on them though? :)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2017, 06:49:07 PM »
That's quite a pile of them!  :o
You will get a jungle out of them... are you sure you have enough "plants" to be planted on them though? :)

You have NO idea....  lol

I have a cardboard crate full of plastic cake deco palm trees and other palms, and add to that all the stuff on this table:

...as well as I expect to get a variety of these somewhen later this year, when I have made a LOT of pulpish jungle:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2053587.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xaquarium+plastic+tree.TRS0&_nkw=aquarium+plastic+tree&_sacat=0

I do, however, expect to use some of the DVDs for other purposes, too, such as bases for creatures that are too big for the largest steel washers available, bases for other types of terrain (rocks, small dung heaps? ;) ) and vegetation, movement trays for small skirmish units...

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #51 on: May 26, 2018, 09:29:44 PM »
Well, I completely lost my mojo last year, and have only gotten back into things a couple of months ago, but I am now preparing some African wildlife for a Colonial take on Paleo Diet from Ganesha Games.

I have had this HLBSC Baboon family (now available from North Star) for several years, and I thought they would make excellent prey for my Zulus to hunt.

I sawed off about 2/3 of the rather thick integral bases to avoid the finished minis looking too clumsy

The male's base is a bit long for a single washer, so I started an experiment, gluing pairs of 15mm washers to cereal packet cardboard.

Here is the result so far

Base ends up a bit too thick for my taste, but the shape/size is better than one large washer, I think.

When this gets rolling, I should get back on track and make some jungle and savanna terrain, so the purchased materials will find their use!

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #52 on: May 29, 2018, 02:03:08 AM »
Looks good, very promising.  Now go out and buy 9 more of those families so you'll have a proper troop! 

lol

I'm very jazzed that a friend with a 3D printer has been able to provide me some 15 mm baboons.  I plan to have 36 of the little guys to use as one large or two small - and competing - troops for my African Plains setup.

Does anyone know where to buy mojo rejuvenation juice?   ;)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2018, 08:30:32 PM »
I shall probably get some more, but I think I should paint these first.

Probably going for the ex-Obelisk gang from Badger Games the next time, though - bit more 'war-like'.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2018, 11:55:10 PM »
I am making - slow - progress on my Paleo Diet in Africa project.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #55 on: May 31, 2018, 07:29:37 AM »
Well, slow progress is still progress.

I like those chimps. I suppose I should know this but I am a forgetful sod, who makes them?

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #56 on: May 31, 2018, 09:11:22 PM »
Well, slow progress is still progress.

I like those chimps. I suppose I should know this but I am a forgetful sod, who makes them?

I'm not sure if they are still in production, somewhere, but they were made by MEGA Miniatures.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #57 on: June 18, 2018, 03:38:51 PM »
'bout time these get some love. Paused for far too long!

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #58 on: June 18, 2018, 04:09:57 PM »
I have some in a not much better off position. Bought those plastic sets when they came out. I can't give them any love because I just don't love them. Just can't bring myself to paint them. So they sit there on my painting table, taking up space, and have done for several years.

I hope you have a better time with yours.  :)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #59 on: June 18, 2018, 04:21:50 PM »
I hope you have a better time with yours.  :)

I have no problem with them, I just don't have patience to see a project through from level 0 to 20+ painted minis, so I zap between subjects...