Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:22:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 'One Hour Wargames'...  (Read 1957 times)

Offline Harry Faversham

• Scatterbrained Genius
'One Hour Wargames'...
« on: November 10, 2015, 02:17:06 AM »
Finally got round to having a pop with the 'Dark Age' rules, Vikings agin Saxons. I you're defending a river or hilltop, you're casualties are halved. The rules state that armoured infantry halve their hits. One of the Beserkers wondered if you halved for defending then halved again for the armour. We compromised, as usual, and went the whole hog the first round of HtoH, second round we just halved for the armour... does that make sense?

:o
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
Re: 'One Hour Wargames'...
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2015, 06:58:17 PM »
Didn't know about this - please tell me more!  ;D
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 09:25:12 AM »
Interesting concept that you play with randomly composed forces. I may want to try this out a some point, when I have painted up some Vikings and Saxons.  :)

Offline Harry Faversham

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, 02:01:03 PM »
We've fought several of the scenarios, Danes v Saxons, all played out very enjoyably. Having to get the job done in 15 game moves gets things moving at a cracking pace. One tweak I picked up from a blogger was having a Chieftain/king with your forces. He can attach himself to a crumbling unit and deduct a dice roll from it's hit total. He must stay with the unit till it either wins or goes under, each round of combat a dice is rolled for him, if it comes up six the baddies have nailed him! Kind of works well with our view of Vikings, pointy cutlery and slaughter... the main man and his bodyguard pushing to the front to hold the line in a crumbling shieldwall. It's all very simple stuff from Mr. Thomas, but trust me on this, it works on several levels.
Not trying to tell granny how to suck eggs, but when you've painted your Vikings and Saxons have a look at 'Ancient and Medieval Wargaming.' by the same author before basing the figures.

:)