Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:57:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686454
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: VICTRIX napoleonics  (Read 15215 times)

Offline archangel1

• Mastermind
Re: VICTRIX napoleonics
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2008, 09:10:44 PM »
...A few months ago I painted 20 skaven at once and it seemed to take forever...

Quite.  You'd think something like Skaven would be quick jobs, would'nt you.  Basecoat, wash, drybrush, done.  Hah! What colour should I paint the clothing? That's too bright. They live underground, right? How dirty should I make them? Rusty armour or newly stolen? Etc, etc... My biggest problem with Fantasy/SciFi figures is that I have no imagination when it comes to colour schemes.  Give me a uniform or a list of choices and I'm fine.  Make up my own?   ??? :?
Why take Life seriously? You'll never get out of it alive!

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2008, 07:40:40 PM »
...A few months ago I painted 20 skaven at once and it seemed to take forever...

Quite.  You'd think something like Skaven would be quick jobs, would'nt you.  Basecoat, wash, drybrush, done.  Hah! What colour should I paint the clothing? That's too bright. They live underground, right? How dirty should I make them? Rusty armour or newly stolen? Etc, etc... My biggest problem with Fantasy/SciFi figures is that I have no imagination when it comes to colour schemes.  Give me a uniform or a list of choices and I'm fine.  Make up my own?   ??? :?

It didn't help that I was given the Advanced Heroquest game by my future in-laws, so it was important that I made a good impression, and I went GW old school - ink washes and five drybrushes for highlights. Now they know that they're not so much losing a daughter as gaining a geek. Rust is always tricky and I've yet to find a technique I'm totally happy with, but they turned out well. Definitely less drybrushes in the future though.
Waiter, my soup is giggling.

Offline archangel1

• Mastermind
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2008, 11:08:41 PM »
Lately, I've been picking up some of Dr.Ben's Weathering Pigments , including his three different rusts.  Haven't had much of a chance to play with them yet but the little bit I've tried looks good.  They've got a binder in them so they stay where they're put but they are apparently easy to remove if you aren't quite satisfied.  There's an awful lot of powder in those containers, too.  He's also got a large range of stains and weathering solutions.

http://www.debenllc.com/servlet/the-Doctor-Ben%27s-Scale-Consortium-cln--dsh--Weathering-Pigments/Categories

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2008, 04:57:23 PM »
Cheers Archangel, I'll have to give them a go. The most successful rust technique I've found so far was in one of the issues of Wargames Painting & Modelling. Well worth downloading the mag if you havent already.

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2008, 08:52:43 PM »

I figure I could post it here...

...this is my first finished Victrix figure! Not a bad choice if you want to build cheaper Napoleonic Army.  :D
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2008, 10:46:23 PM »
He's a nice looking figure. Real character in the pose... Looking forward to seeing more.

Offline meninobesta

• Mad Scientist
  • Bastard Saint, Scorn of the Earth
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2008, 11:42:05 PM »
Very nice Calimero, those Victrix seem be rather good! if you have the chance please post another picture side by side with another miniature for scale comparison, please!
I'm getting more tempted to buy a box of those chaps!  :)

are you painting any specific regiment! fusiliers had blue pipping, is he one of those guys?
Cheers,
Pedro

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2008, 12:39:54 AM »

Here a picture of the same Victrix figures side by side with a Crusader Miniature French Fusilier (left) and an Artizan Design WWII British (right)…

… and a picture with a Front Rank Miniature British Dragoon…

I intend to paint my figures as the 4th Kings Own Regiment since his flag is one of the two provided in the box (the other is for the 35th Regiment of Foot – The Sussex Regiment). One of the thing I like with the Victrix product is that the box have plenty of drawings to help paint the figures.  :D

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2008, 06:42:37 AM »
That looks very good and in scale with other figures there.

Was there a lot of cleaning up to do on mould lines?

That seems to have been a critisism earlier on?

Dodge

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2008, 08:45:00 AM »
I was impressed with the Victrix figures when I saw them in the flesh at Warfare. He looks great and is very compatible with the other figures you have there. :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline meninobesta

• Mad Scientist
  • Bastard Saint, Scorn of the Earth
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2008, 11:54:18 AM »
Thanks Calimero! :) nice work!

and it's good news to see that the plastic minis are not smaller than the other ones! it scales perfectly with almost every 28mm miniatures, at least from my point of view!

Me thinks Santa Claus will give me a box of Victrix for christmas! now I must go and send him an e-mail :D

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2008, 01:45:00 PM »
... Was there a lot of cleaning up to do on mould lines? ...

Not at all. At least on the sprues I received. There were some "plastic flash" here and there but that’s really minimal.

I have two small critics though. The bases on some figures are way too large (but they can be cut quite easily). Also, I find that putting some of the arms together were a little tricky (but I have the dexterity of a drunken chimp!). lol
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 01:50:49 PM by Calimero »

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2008, 06:55:17 PM »
... Was there a lot of cleaning up to do on mould lines? ...

Not at all. At least on the sprues I received. There were some "plastic flash" here and there but that’s really minimal.

I have two small critics though. The bases on some figures are way too large (but they can be cut quite easily). Also, I find that putting some of the arms together were a little tricky (but I have the dexterity of a drunken chimp!). lol

Did you have any problems fitting the backpacks and have to do anything with the right ears?

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2008, 07:13:51 PM »

Did you have any problems fitting the backpacks and have to do anything with the right ears?

The details on the side of the head are sometime a little weak but, in those cases, I just build-up any missing ears with a small blob of paint (in an half circle shape).

As for the backpack, I had absolutely no problem making them fit… I read of people who had problem with it but, frankly, I couldn’t say why…