Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:53:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686592
  • Total Topics: 118109
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Frontier settings in space  (Read 4928 times)

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
Re: Frontier settings in space
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2015, 07:20:05 PM »
I'm going to guess that's what Chris is talking about. On the other hand, Firefly was so good otherwise, I forgave it.  :D

I'd say that's it.

To illustrate, there's two great episodes in Firefly that highlight it for me - "Jaynestown" and "Heart of Gold". The former's just a big puddle of mud (or Space MississippiTM, for what I know), the latter has this gloriously cheesy Best Little Whorehouse in Space TexasTM thing going on, what with the solar panel walls, and the villains have a hoverjeep. It looks like they blew their SFX budget on every other episode, leaving slim pickings for the series' other half.  lol

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2015, 09:42:34 PM »

And another Wild West style 40k planet that I've forgotten the name of .

That would be 'Logan's World' in The Eye of Terror.

If you are after minis with a 'Space Cowboy' vibe, try browsing Reaper's Chronoscope line, among others.
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2015, 01:50:39 AM »
Don't forget the Marshall Bravestar '80's cartoon!

:D

Firefly was so good otherwise, I forgave it.  :D

Bravestar, I can't.

:o

How could you not like Bravestarr? It had ewoks and everything!

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2015, 02:04:30 AM »
:D

:o

It was awful. Even as a kid I thought it was terrible. Still watched it though 😉
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2015, 04:11:28 AM »

Well, I suppose I didn't watch enough for it to grow on me. Sort of like a lot of fungus I've avoided...  ;D

It was awful. Even as a kid I thought it was terrible. Still watched it though 😉

Ah, I suppose that was part of the problem; I wasn't a kid. I forgave a LOT as a kid.

Really? Not even a comment about the Space Valkyrie?  lol

Doug

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2015, 07:01:26 AM »
There was also an Old West world visited by Starbuck in the original series of Battlestar Galactica. It had Red Eye the gunfighting Cylon.

I remember quite liking Battle Beyond the Stars. I don't think I've heard of Space Valkyrie unfortunately. I'll look it up.

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2015, 09:20:29 AM »
Ooh, I remember Bravestarr! It never ran on Swedish telly (I think) but I had some VHS tapes of it.

I also had tapes of Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs, one of those 80s Japanese anime series re-edited for a Western audience. It had a fairly strong space western theme as well, albeit mixed with some typically Japanese high-tech elements. Anyone else remember that one? I remember thinking as a child that between Bravestarr and Saber Rider, the latter was superior.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awxKPdqLHGE
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 09:30:02 AM by Rhoderic »
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2015, 09:31:21 AM »
I'm doing a 15mm sci fi frontier setting on the side of my 15mm sci fi military stuff. So much for it in that scale. I have plenty of fauna and flora rolled out for more interesting planets and I can tie it into my 15mm military setting.

Considered doing a similar project in 28mm, but can't decide if its worth having a different setting for that, as most 28mm sci fi figures are more advanced looking, so considered a more Game of Thrones in space style shizmo.

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2015, 10:51:52 AM »
My sci-fi urban gang war project is going to have a space western connection, counterintuitive though it may sound. Specifically, this will be in the form of the "Docker Mafia", one of the factions I've thought up for my mega-city underworld.

In this setting, "Dockers" are immigrants who have come to the mega-city from various frontier colony planets which generally have kind of a rugged space western air about them. Within an urban context they're something of an immigrant ethnicity and as such they're forced to endure some degree of unofficial segregation, xenophobia and discrimination. These conditions have forged a mafia which is quite prominent in the mega-city underworld. Members of the Docker Mafia are generally proud of their frontier-world heritage and like to reflect this in their style of dress.

The way I intend to model them, they won't look all too much out of place in an urban milieu, but there will be some stetsons, boots, longcoats (in shades of brown), big belt buckles, bolo ties, vests/waistcoats and the like.

This could also be a good springboard for me to do a proper space western project in the future, but if I do I'll probably keep it quite low-key (no robot horses or aliens that look like Native Americans, for instance).
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 10:53:27 AM by Rhoderic »

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2015, 04:34:31 PM »
...I don't think I've heard of Space Valkyrie unfortunately. I'll look it up.

Sorry, I was referring to Saint-Exmin in Battle Beyond... ;D

Doug

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2015, 08:53:25 PM »
My sci-fi urban gang war project is going to have a space western connection, counterintuitive though it may sound. Specifically, this will be in the form of the "Docker Mafia", one of the factions I've thought up for my mega-city underworld.

In this setting, "Dockers" are immigrants who have come to the mega-city from various frontier colony planets which generally have kind of a rugged space western air about them. Within an urban context they're something of an immigrant ethnicity and as such they're forced to endure some degree of unofficial segregation, xenophobia and discrimination. These conditions have forged a mafia which is quite prominent in the mega-city underworld. Members of the Docker Mafia are generally proud of their frontier-world heritage and like to reflect this in their style of dress.

The way I intend to model them, they won't look all too much out of place in an urban milieu, but there will be some stetsons, boots, longcoats (in shades of brown), big belt buckles, bolo ties, vests/waistcoats and the like.

This could also be a good springboard for me to do a proper space western project in the future, but if I do I'll probably keep it quite low-key (no robot horses or aliens that look like Native Americans, for instance).

That sounds a unique and great theme,when I read that ,I instantly thought of the Patrick swayze film,next of kin,where all the hillbillies ,stick together in the bar and boarding house in the town they go looking for work.