Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 05:02:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: supervike's Monster Hunter International project (update 05-22-17)  (Read 18564 times)

Offline supervike

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • supervike's stuff
Re: supervike's Monster Hunter International project (update Nov. 13, 2016)
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2016, 08:27:19 PM »
More additions to my MHI project.

Werewolves (again)

Heather Kerkonen, former deputy, now a special forces Werewolf conscripted by a uber secret government organization.

An undead werewolf I'm using as a 'damaged' werewolf.  Here he is with Owen Pitt.  I call him Cecil Huffman, in honor of the werewolf Pitt killed.  He was also Owen's boss.

And lastly, a little orc, that just so happens to also be MHI's ace Helicopter pilot.

Skippy

More on my bloggy blog  

http://supervikes.blogspot.com/

« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 03:33:28 PM by supervike »

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
Re: supervike's Monster Hunter International project (update Mar 15,2016)
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2016, 09:26:19 PM »
That Owen Pitt is fantastic mate! Terrific conversation. I thought it was an authentic sculpt and was about to ask where I can get one 8)
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline Lordblackwing

• Scientist
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2016, 04:42:46 PM »
Looking great so Far Supervike, I started out on this, but was having trouble finding the main characters. This inspires me to get it rolling again.
A fellow follower of the Lead Mountain

Offline supervike

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • supervike's stuff
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2016, 01:51:10 AM »
Looking great so Far Supervike, I started out on this, but was having trouble finding the main characters. This inspires me to get it rolling again.

I'd love to see what you come up with!!

Offline Avidwargamer

• Bookworm
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2016, 01:42:21 AM »
Cool ideas on the conversions.  I've read the first two books.   What rules do you plan to use?

Offline Lysander

• Assistant
Cool ideas on the conversions.  I've read the first two books.   What rules do you plan to use?

Our group has been playing a Monster Hunters RPG since the summer.  We have been using Savage Worlds.  This evening I just ran the first meeting between the player characters and the elves n the Enchanted Forest.

Offline horridperson

• Mad Scientist
  • Doing the Will of The Horned Cat
    • Void Spaces
Really cool models and the conversion on Pitt was really impressive.  I've never heard of the Monster Hunter setting but really enjoyed Vampire$ and the Carpenter film that came out of it.

Offline Avidwargamer

• Bookworm
Cool!  I didn't even realize they did an RPG game on the books.   :)

Offline Lysander

• Assistant
Cool!  I didn't even realize they did an RPG game on the books.   :)

There actually is a Monster Hunter's RPG which, I think, uses the "Hero" system.

We use the Savage Worlds system along with their Horror and Cthulhu supplements to generate monsters.  It plays easily and flows smoothly both as an RPG system and a wargame system. Some of our more creative players have generated sheets/cards with various weapon and armor load outs.

Offline supervike

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • supervike's stuff

Haven't really shored up the rules yet.   I do want something easy and fast moving though.

I bought the MHI RPG, but I'm not a roleplayer.  I just liked the art and wanted to support the MHI world.....

I've kind of put this project on hold for a month or so, but should be at it again soon.

I'm working on a Earl Harbinger character now.

Thanks for all the comments, and I love hearing ideas from all of you.

Offline eMills

• Scientist
Supervike, nice work. I really like the end result with Z. Good sculpt work. 👍

I've never heard of MHI, but after seeing this thread and reading the first chapter of the first book, I'm diving in! Lol.

Hope to see more soon.

~Eric

Offline supervike

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • supervike's stuff
Supervike, nice work. I really like the end result with Z. Good sculpt work. 👍

I've never heard of MHI, but after seeing this thread and reading the first chapter of the first book, I'm diving in! Lol.

Hope to see more soon.

~Eric

Actually, that's exactly what I'm hoping for!  The books can be very cheesy at times, but I just love them, and was hoping to spread the word about them.

Offline eMills

• Scientist
Actually, that's exactly what I'm hoping for!  The books can be very cheesy at times, but I just love them, and was hoping to spread the word about them.
Job well done then.  lol

I've just started book two. Pretty good so far. I really don't like the author, but I'm enjoying his work.

Looking into figures myself. I'm thinking of getting the Terminator Genisys Resistance fighters to use as MHI personnel. With a little modification, I think they will be decent representations of the custom gear Milo makes for the company. Vamps could be anybody, so any good models will work. I'm extremely picky about my Werewolves, so I'm not sure what I'm gonna use there. Zombies are easy, since I have tons from Zombicide and Studio Miniatures.

I'm thinking of using Strange Aeons from Uncle Mike as the rule set. It's a great set of rules, and will work pretty much as is, even though it is set in the 1920's. Uncle Mike is also working on a futuristic version of the rules so, depending upon how long that takes, the new version might also be useful.

Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

~Eric

Offline supervike

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • supervike's stuff
Re: supervike's Monster Hunter International project (update Nov 13,2016)
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2016, 03:32:41 PM »
Up from the grave, returns my Monster Hunter Thread!

Summer months are traditionally lots of overtime at work, and many more outside activities that preclude painting minis.

Now that frost is back on the ground, I'm picking my project back up.

I'm finally getting the finishing touches on the first version of 'Earl Harbinger'.

Although I think that one is a bit too beefy for Earl, I have found a Heroclix model that may work well for a basis.  I'll post a WiP pic of that soon.

I've also dusted off a few older minis that will fit right into this setting.

A trio of Hunters:

The top two are originally from a small company called PLAY WAR, but are now available over at Fenris. 
The stubby lil fella is an old Copplestone, which never fail to impress me.  They still hold up pretty well against modern sculpts.

A couple of FrothersUnite Tank zombies join the fray, also from Fenris.  Hunters need something to shoot at!!

Also, I've painted up the excellent Studio Miniatures 'classic line up' of Monsters.  I got those from a nice little Kickstarter.  To avoid cross posting, I'll direct you to either the Gothic Horror section here on LAF or my Blog to see how these guys are lining up.

http://supervikes.blogspot.com/

And for a rule set to finally actually start gaming with these guys, I think I'm leaning towards Ganesha Games' Fear And Faith rules.

I've not got the book yet, as tis is a relatively cheap and easy thing to get off of Amazon, so I've put it on my Christmas list. My daughters love to buy me stuff for my hobby, but never can quite figure out what to get.

So, I've put Frostgrave, Song of Blades and Hero's, and Fear and Faith on my Amazon wish list, along with heavy 'hints'....

Thanks for reading!  I'd love to hear thoughts and comments.

Offline Stroezie

• Scientist
    • Planet Ares VI
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2016, 07:08:06 PM »
Absolutely love this project!!!

Your minis are really doing the MHI books justice and I look forward to your first game with them.
I'll be interested to see which rules system you settle on too.