Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:14:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: supervike's Monster Hunter International project (update 05-22-17)  (Read 18502 times)

Offline supervike

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • supervike's stuff
Re: supervike's Monster Hunter International project (update Nov 26,2016)
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2016, 04:17:28 PM »
Thanks!!

A small update, as I've been working on various other projects..

Earl Harbinger is finally done. 

Here he is with a Werewolf.

And with the finally finished Tripp Jones.

(actually both are missing the smiley face MHI patch.  I've put a disk of putty on each one, and painted it green, but I am thinking about getting a decal of the patch instead of attempting a freehand)

And a Heroclix convert, as an alternative Earl.  I added a small cigarette to the mouth and the Tommy Gun.  Unfortunately, he's primed black, so not a lot to see, just the basic concept.

Still loads to do, and a sizeable Hasslefree order recently placed should help me fill out the ranks.

As always, you can see more about my project at my blog

http://supervikes.blogspot.com/

Offline supervike

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • supervike's stuff
Re: supervike's Monster Hunter International project (update Nov 26,2016)
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2016, 08:22:42 PM »
Finished the Earl Harbinger converted HeroClix.

He turned out more cartoonish than I intended, but I think he represents the Character better.

My freehand is horrible, so I'll wait to get some decals made for the Monster Smiley patch on the back.

Here's a picture of Earl, from the MHI RPG game:

And here's a handful more that I have in the pipeline to work on next, they'll represent various characters throughout the series.

Thanks for looking!

Offline supervike

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • supervike's stuff
Re: supervike's Monster Hunter International project (update Dec 4th,2016)
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2016, 02:46:27 AM »
More updates:

The Big Bad guy in Monster Hunter International: Vendetta is a necromancer/shadow elemental/jerkwad.

He's taken the guise of a tough looking Englishman, but if he's in the shadows, he impossible to hit, and can form himself into a Shadow Demon.

Shine a bright light on him, however, and he's just another viable target.

I'll be doing another Shadow version of him, but for this version I wanted his human form as if having a light shone on him.

Next up is not really a character directly from the books, but in MHI: Nemesis, they make reference to a 'Combat Exorcist'.  I really liked that idea, so I added a SMG to Artizan's cool Priest character.

He's a man of faith, but carries just it case it waivers.  Plus bullets work quicker.

Lastly is the main character from the Monster Hunter: Memoirs books that have just recently come out.  He's a katana using badass retired US Marine, with a penchant for hunting.  Chad "Ironhand"

I'll eventually have more info on these characters on my blog, if you'd be so inclined.

Thanks for looking!!  I'd love to hear opinions, or tips, or ideas, or recipes....
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 08:04:42 PM by supervike »

Offline Stroezie

• Scientist
    • Planet Ares VI
Love the light/shadow side idea for the necromancer!
The Chad figure is once again spot on. The inclusion of the baby chelob on the base is a nice touch.
I'm currently reading through the second Monster Hunter: Memoirs book. It's a fun romp, Ringo writes great action imo, but I have to say I like Correia's charracters better, they are a bit more relatable/likeable to me.

Offline supervike

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • supervike's stuff
Love the light/shadow side idea for the necromancer!
The Chad figure is once again spot on. The inclusion of the baby chelob on the base is a nice touch.
I'm currently reading through the second Monster Hunter: Memoirs book. It's a fun romp, Ringo writes great action imo, but I have to say I like Correia's charracters better, they are a bit more relatable/likeable to me.

Yep, I'm about halfway through the 2nd Memoirs book, myself.  I think it's better (so far) than the first.  Chad is not a great character, but he is growing on me.

Thanks for the comments!!

Offline supervike

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • supervike's stuff
Re: supervike's Monster Hunter International project (update D
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2016, 12:42:45 AM »
So, I'm still waiting for my Hasslefree order...darn mailman had it at my house today, but somehow determined that no one was home (my wife actually was).   All the mailboxes around here are located at the front of the houses, on the road, and the mailpeople just drive to each one.  I have just a short driveway (maybe 30 feet), but he decided to take it back to the main post office, and leave me a slip in the box to come pick it up.  Of course it was -2 degrees Fahrenheit (-18C) so maybe he just didn't want to get out of the truck. >:( >:(

But, I did score a nice find from Ebay last week, and it showed up yesterday...

If you are familiar with the series, you can probably guess what is going to happen with this...If not, please stay tuned!!

Offline eMills

• Scientist
Pretty sure that is the same one I picked up.

How are you going to do the paintjob? It says red and white with a shark mouth in the book but doesn't give any other detail that I remember.

I was thinking of doing red lower and white upper myself.

Looking forward to seeing what you do.

~Eric

Offline horridperson

• Mad Scientist
  • Doing the Will of The Horned Cat
    • Void Spaces
Don't be so intimidated by the freehand symbol Supervike.  You painted the external circle you should be able to attack the monster smiley as well.  If you break it down into the simple shapes you already have the circle in your arsenal.  Just be sure your paint is quite thin and overpaint to correct lines you aren't happy with rather than worrying about getting it right in one go.  Those Hasslefrees look great and I wouldn't have identified Earl as a Heroclix.

Offline supervike

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • supervike's stuff
Thanks for the encouragement!  I will give it a go.  Heck, the worse that could happen is I have to paint over it.

Small update.

I have the Hind partially assembled.  I'm obviously not very good with model kits.  I've got some gap work to do, when it's all said and done...but it was an enjoyable way to pass a Sunday afternoon (and mostly evening).

I also was able to save my Hasslefree order from the clutches of the mailman, so I've loads more to convert and work into the setting.

Pics later!

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ... standing on the shoulders of giants.
    • INCLTVS REX - Late Antique wargames blog
Excellent work realising the concept for the shadow guy!

Offline supervike

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • supervike's stuff
@emills..yep, I think i found a good reference pic in my MHI RPG book.  Shark teeth, red...

@Christian.  Thanks! He's such a fun character in the books.  I gotta find a good 'shadow/smoke' elemental to help represent his shadow form.

Here's some WiP

I don't remember models being so fiddly when I was a kid and put them together.  This thing makes Malifaux minis seem simple....

But, I am making progress.  Hopefully, I can get it done before Christmas, when we'll really need that dining room table!!   ;D

Also, my Hasslefree goodies, destined for mostly MHI related stuff.  It's amazing how much they can stuff in a small, rather thin box.

Hopefully 2017 has more finishing minis, and less buying minis...

Offline eMills

• Scientist
Re: supervike's Monster Hunter International project (WiP MI-24 HIND Dec 19)
« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2016, 06:44:34 PM »
I think I need to pick up the RPG.

I've been thinking about using Savage Worlds Showdown for my game rules, as an aside. They are easily adaptable to pretty much any setting.

Good start on the Hind, and excellent Hasslefree haul!
~Eric

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2016, 10:18:20 PM »
Lookin' absolutely spiffy!

I have no knowledge of MHI whatsoever, but I don't need that to enjoy your painting and converting.  :)
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline supervike

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • supervike's stuff
« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2016, 02:23:02 AM »
@eric...Just downloaded Savage World rules (found a pdf online!)  Looks very interesting.

@Argonor.  Thanks!! It's really been a fun project for me...but I really just like sharing with other miniature lovers.

Offline hubbabubba

• Mastermind
« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2016, 10:41:46 PM »
Cool stuff Vic