Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 08:57:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690746
  • Total Topics: 118345
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Silent Tower...a few newb questions  (Read 2344 times)

Offline ragsthetiger

• Scientist
  • Phantom Agent
    • rags' gallery
Silent Tower...a few newb questions
« on: November 17, 2015, 06:37:51 PM »
Hello All,
Still very much a beginner, only a couple of games in, and I have a few questions for the house about the Silent Tower scenario, as a search of the board didn't reveal the answers.  So...
1) The scenario rules state that any spell currently affecting a mini is cancelled if it enters or touches any of the Null Magic buildings.  Are creatures which have been summoned into the warband for the scenario, such as demons and undead, considered to be still affected by the spells that summoned them, or are those spells instant effects which do their job, bringing the creatures into play, and then are done?
2) Likewise, what about creatures which are permanent members of the warband, like constructs or animal companions -- are the spells which called or animated them ongoing effects which would be cancelled by entering the null zone, or are they also instant effects which serve their purpose and end?
3) Lastly, the rules also state that no "figure" inside the null magic areas can be targeted by a spell.  Does "figure" include only character minis, or are treasure tokens and wall sections also not targetable?  My own sense is that a null magic zone is just exactly that, and you can't cast any spell at all into it, but any seeming omission is inevitably seized upon as an exemption by those looking for loopholes, and this is the kind of scenario that is likely to send players in search of them.
Thanks in advance,
rags

Offline Digitarii

• Scientist
  • I don't suffer from insanity. I ENJOY it!
Re: Silent Tower...a few newb questions
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 08:16:21 PM »
I think Joe will have to chime in on this one, but my interpretation of the specific rules of the scenario would be as follows: Magic does not work in or around the immediate vicinity of the three buildings. Spells cannot be cast in or out of the area. Models (including treasure tokens and walls) cannot be targeted in the tower. I would further rule that constructs, undead, and demons cannot enter the tower or they will shut down/crumble to dust/go home.

But that's just my interpretation.
"My claim is based on rational thought and the fact that I've got more than enough charges in my Tesla Cannon to leave nothing but your twitching, smoldering digits!" - Nelson, Full Frontal Nerdity

Gold foil, diamond-etched, creme filled, limited-edition, collector's item number one anger issues

Offline Awesome Adam

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 08:20:59 PM »
I don't have the book in front of me, but how Digitari describes it is how I have played it.

You can't crumble the walls.
You can't use telekinesis to drag the treasure closer.
You can't teleport to the top.
I imagined the reason it is supposed to be 10"+ tall is prevent someone leaping onto it as well.

I hadn't encountered the zombie/construct/demon situation, but it seems in character to not allow them entry.

Offline Dakota Mike

• Assistant
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015, 02:35:43 AM »
I thought I remember reading that the official ruling was a demon entering the tower would not be banished but would no longer be controlled by the caster and would go "wild."  Don't quote me, but I'm pretty sure I read that somewhere.

Offline joe5mc

• Mastermind
    • The Renaissance Troll
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2015, 08:46:35 AM »
Summoned Demons are counted as being under a 'Control Demon' spell. This would be cancelled by the Silent Tower. It will also cancel any other 'control' spell.  The tower has no effect on figures that are actually part of the warband 'Zombies, Animal Companions, Constructs'

You can't cast a spell on anything that is on, or touching the tower.

Offline ragsthetiger

• Scientist
  • Phantom Agent
    • rags' gallery
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2015, 04:17:43 PM »
joe5mc:  Summoned Demons are counted as being under a 'Control Demon' spell. This would be cancelled by the Silent Tower. It will also cancel any other 'control' spell.  The tower has no effect on figures that are actually part of the warband 'Zombies, Animal Companions, Constructs'
You can't cast a spell on anything that is on, or touching the tower.

Pretty much what I figured...thanks, Joe!  And thanks to everyone else who helped out with their thoughts, as well!
 :)
rags

Offline Jiron

• Librarian
    • WASP Club Blog
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2015, 02:37:45 PM »
We have also played that the way that if any LoS spell would have to cross the null zone, it will fizzle out on the way. :-)
It was very funny as well.
http://wargamingasp.blogspot.cz/ - Not entirely serious gaming blog

Offline Randell

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2016, 01:49:08 PM »
Sorry to resurrect this one, but we played the scenario last night and we ruled the area affect of a grenade didn't harm anyone on ground level touching the base of the tower. i,e, the null filed stopped the blast radius.

How have other people played this (or that very specific!)

Offline Timeshadow

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2016, 07:17:09 PM »
Sorry to resurrect this one, but we played the scenario last night and we ruled the area affect of a grenade didn't harm anyone on ground level touching the base of the tower. i,e, the null filed stopped the blast radius.

How have other people played this (or that very specific!)

I agree with this ruling.