Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:04:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686482
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Left 4 Dead  (Read 2984 times)

Offline Darkoath

• Mastermind
Left 4 Dead
« on: November 24, 2008, 06:19:00 PM »
I bought this game and intalled it on Friday... and I have to say it is the most intense and fun time I have had playing a computer game! :D

Lets just say I have been playing computer games for a long time... I started on a Commador 64 so for some that will give my age away nicely.

My buddy and I got this at the same time...  For those that don't know, this is a Zombie Apoc co-op play game.  The setting is wonderful!  Full of great ideas for gaming and visually very realistic.  The zombies are slow and stupid until they hear a loud sound or suddenly become aware of your presense.  Then they run right at you... I see them vomiting so they might be rage zombies... they become berserk when startled.  You play one of a party of four survivorsthat are trying to get out of the city two weeks after the infection and wiped out 90% f the human race.  You can play in single mode or go online to play with friends or enter a game lobby to play pick up games with strangers.  If you do the later you can actually play as the Boss infected.  There are also five types of mutant Boss infected, each with their own special powers.  Also when playing in single mode, the AI survivors act like a human would.  The AI is pretty well done.

You are also having to search darkrooms and tunnels etc., for supplies and ammo.  I have been playing the game sitting my dark workroom, and there is nothing quite like
turning a corner and suddenly having a screaming zombie face appear in your flashlight and attack! :o

My buddy and I have been using Skype voice chat, so we are contantly talking like we are right there with each other.  There is also a voice chat system built into the game servers so you can do the same if playing with strangers.  I have been doing things like looking at the little details and reading the spray painted messages of previous survivors on the walls of the safe houses. 

"Darline!   We waited for you for three days... food running low,  meet us at the airport.  We love you!  Mom and Dad."  Stuff like that.

And it sure gets intense when you are running low on ammo and suddenly a swarm of zombies come bursting through the drywall into the room you thought was cleared.  And suddenly you and your team are fighting for your lives... and watch that friendly fire! ;)

There are four chained campaign missions to play, each taking about two hours or so to complete.  And four different difficulty levels...  I recommend starting on normal and getting some shooting practice in before going to the harder levels!

Great fun!  I highly recommend this game if you have an interest in Zombie Apoc gaming!  I am sure it will giving LAF members ideas for their miniature Zombie Apoc settings! lol

One small warning... don't play if you are squemish... the graphic violence is very realistic.  Also the characters in game act like a person would in such a high tension situation... they sometimes swear!  I see some people on the forums for the game complaining about that but for me it just made the game more realistic.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 06:33:38 PM by Darkoath »

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
    • http://modhails-meanderings.blogspot.com/
Re: Left 4 Dead
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 10:29:15 PM »
Played the demo over the weekend, and you're absolutely right.
It's definitely on my "to get" shortlist...

Offline slobberblood

• Bookworm
    • http://www.chaos-arts.com
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 01:57:53 PM »
Great game, I played with my son and brother the whole weekend on hard, it's crazy!  ;D

www.chaos-arts.com
My Blog: http://www.chaos-arts.com
The Old Gamer's Den
Gaming, painting, collecting, horror movies, comics, artwork, and my crazy antics?

Offline supervike

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • supervike's stuff
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 02:48:23 PM »
Yeah, it's great tense fun.

The zombies are insane.  I've only downloaded the demo, so there's much more for me to learn about, but I really liked what I saw.

Those Valve people know how to make great games, that's for sure.

Yorkshire_man

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008, 09:35:35 AM »
I have this game (if thats the right word??) interactive movie sounds about right!! for the PC and 360 i am a massive gamer (he should spend more modelling and painting says a voice!!).

If you have seen 28 Days/weeks its that in a nutshell and everything in bewteen Dawn of the Dead ie.Its a co-op game for 4 or single player when you choose a character.

Francis/Bill/Zoey/Louis
The graphics are outstanding and some of the campagains/tunnels/woods feel chilly (that early morning damp feeling when the sun is just coming up!!) and houses look deserted,when managing to get one section done their are safe houses where stock up on ammo/change weapons/grab health kits.

At the moment their are only some many "ZOMBIES" you have the "Horde" where the zombies/infected charge you or single ones attack you.Theres the "SMOKER" which has a tongue that wraps around you,when shot it releases you and then bursts into a toxic cloud.

The "BOOMER" a fat zombie full of puke,that if not shot in time,throws up on you attracting the "horde".When shot it explodes in glorious detail blood and guts everywhere!!

Theres the "HUNTER" that leaps around and tries to pin you down and rips into you,theres thay are like "Hoodies" just shoot into these to kill them!!.They are really fast though!! and attack from dark corners or rooftops.

Then theres the "WITCH" the hardest of the bunch,you hear her before seeing her!! you will hear a little girl cry/baby cry (its quite disturbing).Switch off your flash light (all weapons have flash lights attached!) as this can attract her to your group!!.
She is powerful and will rip right into you and your group and she can call in the "horde" as well.Plus the boomer and others.

Once more weapons are added and different zombies and some updates and maps are included,this game will last years!!.

I owned/played both on the 360 and PC and apart from the PC having better graphics,there is not alot of difference at all.
Oh and the head shots are superb!! think of exploding melons!!.Also one point is some may find this game disturbing as you shooting humans and they fall like shot humans,the animations are brilliant and do not let youngsters near it,PLEAASE REMEMBER ITS AN ADULT THEMED GAME!! and contains adult materail.
Apart from that is bloody good fun blasting the crap of the infected/zombies/undead HOORAY!! HOORAY!!

Hope this information helps out ;D

Cheers all  ;DTony ;D

Offline oxiana

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2008, 09:41:32 AM »
I started on a Commador 64 so for some that will give my age away nicely.

You were lucky! I still remember that sunny day of childhood when my dad took me and my brother on a special shopping trip to buy a 16k ZX Spectrum. Aah, memories...