Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:53:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Wargames rules for Gothic Horror  (Read 85003 times)

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
Re: Wargames rules for Gothic Horror
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2010, 02:47:30 PM »
Wow, the typesetter's proofing on the book is AMAZING! The editing shows badly enough, but whole lines repeated later on the page, the missing half paragraphs, the... Getting a bit florid here.

Anyway, Gothic Horror: Vampire Wars is everything everyone says it is: beautiful backgrounds, intriguing mechanics, tortuous reading. Another book that needs CoC's San check applied to the reader.

Malamute: One quick question if you know; what is HMC? My guess was Holy Mother Church, but I'm not seeing it spelled out anywhere, and it's not completely clear from context.

I won’t pitch the book, but definitely need other working rules.

"Very studly of you, Malamute, to have persevered with them.  "

I know my admiration has grown considerably! ;->=

Doug

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2010, 03:18:18 PM »
Tell me where you read MHC and I'll take a look.

If you can get past the horrendous type setting, appauling editing etc there is a reasonable set of rules. We like to quality dice approach and have adapted them to fit all sorts of genres, but it has taken a while to get used to them.

I am too tight fisted to buy another set (C in C) and have stuck with them. ;)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2010, 02:50:30 PM »
Has anyone tried  Faces of Horror?

It seems to be a variant of the Face of Battle skirmish rules.
Introduction on their website says

Apologies if anyone's mentioned this before, I'm a new arrival here and just started sniffing around the boards.

I've just got a set of Vampire Wars rules coming through...so will look at the background with interest ;) Always faced CinC but never taken the plunge, Faces of Horror, no not seen it.

I used to play Chill and Call of Cthulhu (other board I know) in my youth and Chill worked well with miniatures.

The Commander
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2010, 12:04:45 PM »

If you can get past the horrendous type setting, appauling editing etc there is a reasonable set of rules. We like to quality dice approach and have adapted them to fit all sorts of genres, but it has taken a while to get used to them.

Sorry, in some of the tables, especially Blessed whatevers (don't  have rules handy'), but have come to see HMC/MO are Holy Mother Church and Militant Orders in the fluff. Took a bit to dig them out, but if you're a fan of gothic horror, you'll have heard the terms near ad nauseum. ;->=

We know you love the rule mechanics, and I even admitted I had a glimmer of their worth, but only a glimmer so far. I still weep for hard drive...

Likewise to being 'tight fisted'; however your motivation, we admire your determination!

Doug

Offline HerbyF

• Mastermind
  • Why fear nightmares when you can be one
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2011, 09:47:28 AM »
I used to play Chill many years ago. It is a great rule set for story telling & role playing. But it is a role playing game & can bog down with more than a few characters or monsters on the table. BTW Askari Miniatures has some nice French Foriegn Legion figures.
LHV 2015 +200 2016 +770 2017 +636 2018 +888 2019 +1015 2020 +656 2021 +174 2022 +220 2023 +312 2024 +95

Offline oldskoolrebel

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • My Campaigns
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2011, 10:15:26 PM »

Not played C n C yet but I own a copy. It looks good ole fashion fun.

Cheers
Andy

Offline jscottbowman

• Scientist
    • Scotts Wargaming
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2011, 12:01:15 AM »
Do GASLIGHT rules work for gothic Horror?

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2011, 05:52:01 PM »
Do GASLIGHT rules work for gothic Horror?

Hadn't given it a thought; nothing actually made up in the rule set itself, so you'd have to be doing a fair bit of tweaking.

Worth a bit of diggin', on the Yahoo! group and the web in general; shall put it on my list. The whole feeling of 'cinematic' of the original certainly suggests it's pointing in the right direction. Van Helsing, Dracula would never die; they'd have to be available for the next battle 'scene'.

Doug

Offline CPalmer

• Scientist
  • Rules Author, Dealer In Antiquities, Mad Scientist
    • My Blog: One More Gaming Project
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2011, 07:33:57 PM »
To build on The_Beast's reply, I would say, 'Yes,' GASLIGHT would work great for Gothic Horror type games. It is a cinematic rules set, where players control Main Characters (the hero types) and Extras (the cannon, or in this case, monster fodder.)  The rules are telescoping, and you can easily scale games from roleplaying type adventures to mass battles. The "To Be Continued...by GASLIGHT" Pulp supplment contains useful additonal rules for monsters, and magic among others.  Be aware, that the GALSIGHT Compendium was just released last month and provides gamers with all the rulebooks under one cover.
For more information visit our website:
http://www.bucksurdu.com/Buck_Surdu/G.A.S.L.I.G.H.T..html

-Chris
"I have wrought my simple plan,
if I give one hour's joy,
to the boy who's half a man,
or the man who's half a boy!"
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Offline synjin

• Student
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2011, 04:15:46 AM »
I've done a few Cthulueque games using To Be Continued by GASLIGHT, and they went off very well.  Most of the figures went insane when the monster revealed itself, but that is to be expected.  It was fun.

Synjin
"Hold steady men!  We can take him!"

Last words of Night Goblin Boss Nozmott just before receiving the charge of the Dread Lord Bloodthrister Mohggore Rogg.

Offline big john

• Schoolboy
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2012, 02:05:36 AM »
have just purchased west winds empire of the dead rule book and some figures hope to have a game going soon

Offline Van-Helsing

• Mastermind
  • (A.K.A. Doctor Warlock)
    • Nexus Miniatures
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2012, 11:41:02 AM »
Empire of the Dead is the most (current) obvious choice - but how about "Rippers - The Horror Wars" if you fancy a fun "rules-lite" set of rules.

"The world is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind" ~ H. P. Lovecraft

https://www.facebook.com/nexus.miniatures

Offline driller

• Scientist
« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2012, 05:44:31 PM »
Empire of the Dead is the most (current) obvious choice - but how about "Rippers - The Horror Wars" if you fancy a fun "rules-lite" set of rules.

Unfortunately I can't stand anything steampunk, so it's Chaos in Carpathia for me (being hungarian, it is comfortably close to home as well :) )

Offline Van-Helsing

• Mastermind
  • (A.K.A. Doctor Warlock)
    • Nexus Miniatures
« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2012, 06:31:28 PM »
I HATE the Term Steam-Punk, there's nothing fracking "punky" about Victorian Sci-Fi/Horror.

There's VERY little Sci-Fi about EotD - a couple of the gadgets are very "techy" but thats about it

Offline abdul666lw

• Scientist
    • Lacepulp & High Adventure (board)
« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2013, 08:56:05 PM »
Some thoughts about rules usable for 18th C. Gothic Horror (but hopefully of some wider interest) there.

(source)

(source)

(source)

(source)

(source)

(source)