Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 07:24:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: [KICKSTARTER] Imperial Skies Aeronef ruleset  (Read 5892 times)

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
[KICKSTARTER] Imperial Skies Aeronef ruleset
« on: November 30, 2015, 02:31:56 PM »
The Kickstarter for Imperial Skies, a new ruleset for Aeronef battles, is very nearly funded with a good three weeks to go. Now let's see if we can hit some stretch goals.

LINK - Imperial Skies KS

It's a partnership between Rottenlead, the makers of the popular Gruntz sci-fi rules, and Brigade Models, the makers of the Aeronef range of miniatures (neither of whom I'm connected with, although I've probably made more orders from Brigade Models over the years than any other single company). The ruleset is pretty much finished (although they're still making some tweaks and additions, some based on suggestions and questions from backers) and by my understanding Rottenlead have already been making the rounds at UK shows and clubs demonstrating it for the past year. The purpose of the Kickstarter is to get the book printed.

This is looking to be a high-production-value rulebook of over 100 pages including immersive high-quality colour photographs and artwork that help set the mood. Check out the cool Aeronef cross-section artwork in the introductory video.

It's going to be a more "full-bodied" ruleset than the original Aeronef rules from Wessex Games, which are highly simplistic to the point of not really being what a lot of gamers are after (although they are fun in their own, beer-and-pretzels kind of way, and they're cheap in PDF form so by all means buy them as well!). It's going to have finished stats for all the models from Brigade's range, but also ship construction rules which would allow players to use the Dystopian Wars airships and aircraft if that's more their cup of tea - or scratchbuilt nefs for that matter!

The stretch goals are for Brigade Models to design new ships to expand the range.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 02:43:06 PM by Rhoderic »
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
Re: [KICKSTARTER] Imperial Skies Aeronef ruleset
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 08:34:13 PM »
Just to keep a few things clear, Aeronef was conceived as VSF, Imperial Skies creator admitted he sees his as Edwardian, but this is kind of a quibble.

I've asked a number of questions of the author, and not entirely sold on the game, but have to admit it seems more full bodied than Aeronef, without the headache that Leviathans became, and that's for the good.

A friend HAS pledged, and I've told him, if dissatisfied, I'd be delighted to buy the book off him, and he'll have a fleet we can play with SOME rules.  :D

Whether I pledge or not is definitely how much I want to see new 'nefs in Brigade Models stables. No fear, I DO want. Still weighing how much, though...  :?

Doug

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 08:43:08 PM »
Just to keep a few things clear, Aeronef was conceived as VSF, Imperial Skies creator admitted he sees his as Edwardian, but this is kind of a quibble.

I did briefly consider putting this in the Weird Wars section for that reason, but I honestly think that would have been a case of not seeing the forest for all the trees. The VSF section just feels more right. If the mods would rather relocate it, I won't mind.

Online fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 09:38:04 PM »
Maybe we could ask for a subsection ESF (Edwardian Sci Fi) as a sub-board of VSF?
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 12:57:03 AM »
Maybe we could ask for a subsection ESF (Edwardian Sci Fi) as a sub-board of VSF?

Oh, please dear supreme being, NO!

Sorry, I tried to suggest putting IHMN in a child thread would snuff it.  You can argue whether that was the case, but I'm firmly convinced it didn't help!

As for Imperial Skies, it's VSF in ways Leviathan could not be. I personally think the author has made an error for the sake of a smooth flowing background, at least, in his eyes.

Doug

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2015, 02:36:00 AM »
Nice looking miniatures.

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2015, 12:19:35 PM »
Dave, you understand these are Brigade Models miniatures they've been selling for years as Aeronef ships, with Aeronef ship displays available at Brigade Models, right?

It's only in the stretch goals do you see the possibility, not yet sculpted, of new ships.

Reminds me, I best download copies of the old ship displays; may not support 'nef forms if IS does well.

I'm actually warming to the idea of one ship line supporting multiple games, though. I've seen others suggest IS is crunchier than 'nef, but there's always room for a game with 'beer and pretzels' delight.

Doug

Offline john Hollyoak

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2015, 08:49:55 PM »
Am interested in this but have questions first. Can you make up your own statistics and is it intended to cover all the Brigade ships. Hoping somebody might know - you can only ask questions on the kickstarter once you have pledged.
Thanks in anticipation.
John

Offline Tom Reed

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2015, 08:57:46 PM »
Today I received an e-mail stating that the rulebook has been successfully funded.
Jane! Stop this crazy thing!

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2015, 01:56:19 PM »
Am interested in this but have questions first. Can you make up your own statistics and is it intended to cover all the Brigade ships. Hoping somebody might know - you can only ask questions on the kickstarter once you have pledged.
Thanks in anticipation.
John

Can't answer your questions, but...

British Starter Fleet:  2xAgincourt  2xExeter  2xCossack 3xSteadfast
USA Starter Fleet: 2xMaine  1xMaryland  2xBrooklyn  2xDecatur 2xSaginaw
France Starter Fleet: 1xCharlemagne  1xLoire  1xJeanne la Pucelle  1xFormidabile  2xDecartes  3xVaillante
Russian Starter Fleet: 2xBorodino 2xPetrapavlovsk 2xDobrovolets  3xStrashchni
Japan Starter Fleet: 2xYamashiro 1xAkashi Cruiser 3xNagatsaki 3xMikasa
Austria-Hungary Starter Fleet: 2xFerdinand Max 2xPrinz Eugen  2xHuszar 2xDanube FF

IS a pretty good start. On the other other hand, there are a HECK of a lot of Brigade Models models. Getting half done would be a damn big effort.

Doug

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2015, 02:35:09 PM »
Thanks in anticipation.
John

You can ask private questions to the creator without pledging. That's what I did (before I pledged) to find out a bit more about the philosophy and experiences behind the writer's decision to handle screening in a fairly abstract manner. He even said that because of my question he was going to add some optional appendix rules for an alternative system of screening that's more crunchy and precise, although to be honest I was quite content with his explanation for why he chose to keep it abstract in the main rules. (It represents the jostling of ships as they're constantly moving around in the air).

As it happens, both your questions have been asked and answered in the comments section:

Question:
Just curious (and if it's been answered elsewhere my apologies) but is there a ship design method in the rules? I have a bunch of older nef minis that were donated to me by a friend and wondered if incorporating them would be a built in, nice to have or a self developed thing?

Answer:
I have a points builder and I will detail it in the rules. It is not going to be "competition" grade points, more of a general guide with some perks and quirks for different ship designs.

Question:
Just to be sure that I understood correctly the intro clip... Will you provide stata for all the existing Brigade Models, including those factions that have no starter set as an add-on to this project? I am a bit concerned for my Italiano Adriatic Fleet...

Answer:
Yes stats for every airship / blimp model in the catalogue from all factions.

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2015, 05:53:43 PM »
Second stretch goal reached! Let's see if we can hit one more in the remaining 10 days.

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2015, 04:40:59 PM »
Okay, I'm in, sort of.

I told my friend I'd pay half on the book, and wanted a starter set with the logo dice. I love the image of winged bomb...  :D

Not a pledge of my own, but certainly adds to the total, though that Spanish fleet is still painfully out of reach.  :'(

Doug

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2015, 08:41:34 PM »
Okay, I'm in, sort of.

I told my friend I'd pay half on the book, and wanted a starter set with the logo dice. I love the image of winged bomb...  :D

Not a pledge of my own, but certainly adds to the total, though that Spanish fleet is still painfully out of reach.  :'(

Doug

I'm hopeful Brigade will get around to it at some point in the future.

Maybe we can still reach the Kaiser-class dreadnought, at least. I'm hesitant to start a thread called "PLEDGE FOR THE KAISER!", though lol

Offline john Hollyoak

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2015, 08:57:37 AM »
Beast & Rhoderic - many thanks for your help. I prefer pdf these days as I have so little hobby space but may go for this. Perhaps it could be my Christmas treat!
Apologies for the delay in replying, for some reason you didn't show up in `replies to own post`.
John