Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 03:49:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Suggestions for 28mm Medieval Church/Cathedral/Chapel?  (Read 6306 times)

Offline Philhelm

• Scientist
Suggestions for 28mm Medieval Church/Cathedral/Chapel?
« on: December 02, 2015, 03:43:14 PM »
I'm looking for an affordable, plastic (or similar) sculpted church for Frostgrave.  Ideally, it won't be too big, as I only have a 3x3 table, but want a fluffy "base of operations" for my Cleric.  I am not interested in having access to the interior of the building.

I saw the Pegasus cathedral, which could have potential, but I'm not sure that it has a roof, and some of the parts look ruined (I'm aware that there are some different sets, that may or may not have ruined parts, but am not sure which parts came from each set, or how many sets I would need).  A simple chapel with a  small tower would be great though.

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
Re: Suggestions for 28mm Medieval Church/Cathedral/Chapel?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 04:05:47 PM »
I think the PMC Buildings Chapel/Church can be used. It's a great and small building. PMC is now sold by Calliver books, but I can't find it on their site (which is a quite hard to navigate IMO).
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Wargame News and Terrain
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, 09:26:31 PM »
Puppetswar has some nice church buildings both intact and ruined.
Wargame News and Terrain Blog, daily updated with the latest wargame news

Interested click https://wargameterrain.blogspot.com/

Offline Drunkendwarf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2015, 07:32:06 AM »
I think the PMC Buildings Chapel/Church can be used. It's a great and small building. PMC is now sold by Calliver books, but I can't find it on their site (which is a quite hard to navigate IMO).

It is part of the Battlefield buildings nowadays: http://www.caliverbooks.com/figures/catviewer.php?1271625d5f134fc4aa2e055898caf9f7&producer=163&range=28mm 1300 to 1900 Buildings&menu=scene&page=3

DJ

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2015, 07:46:49 AM »
DOH...had found that page, but never saw there were multiple pages on that page. Although the church on page 3 is cool, it is different from the one I have. The one I have has greyish blue shingles and a yellow brick wall. Very nice and not too big. Used it a lot for Strange Aeons.
But the one on page 3 is cool too!

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2015, 07:04:55 PM »
You have a kit from Italeri that might suit.
You only have to increase the size of the door.
Also word checking the diferent mdf manufacturers.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2015, 07:49:46 PM »
Have a look out for plastic churches in Christmas ornaments. Cheapo discount shops sometimes have them, although you might have to chop off carol singers and yank out some lights.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Digitarii

• Scientist
  • I don't suffer from insanity. I ENJOY it!
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2015, 08:27:47 PM »
If you can track it down, Tabletop Workshop made a very good Medieval church with a reasonable footprint. The Pegasus Hobbies buildings are...large. Typical footprint is at least 12"x12". Also, they do not have any roofs to speak of - although someone is working on a MDF after market kit for roofs and floors for the kits.
"My claim is based on rational thought and the fact that I've got more than enough charges in my Tesla Cannon to leave nothing but your twitching, smoldering digits!" - Nelson, Full Frontal Nerdity

Gold foil, diamond-etched, creme filled, limited-edition, collector's item number one anger issues

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2015, 08:48:09 PM »
I used two the Pegasus Church kits and most of the GW Shrine of Aquila (the large wall with scaffolding) to make the main sections of my ruined Temple for Krappefort.
Being modular in design it can be used in any number of configurations and has been used in loads of differemt genres including Mordhiem, Sci-fi, Strange Aeons and VBCW amongst others..

It has a sizeable footprint and is very versatile.
Here is a shot of the large sections that form the most of it...

More pictures of the individual pieces are here:
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=30667.0

You will also see it in various configurations spread across the AAR's in the thread.

Offline Philhelm

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2015, 10:52:25 PM »
DOH...had found that page, but never saw there were multiple pages on that page. Although the church on page 3 is cool, it is different from the one I have. The one I have has greyish blue shingles and a yellow brick wall. Very nice and not too big. Used it a lot for Strange Aeons.
But the one on page 3 is cool too!

What material is that church made from?

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2015, 04:04:16 AM »
The small pegasus kit is intact (not ruined) and has sloped walls, but you do have to build your own roof. I made a big cathedral from two and a half kits, but of course it's easy to make a nice compact  church as well.

Unfortunately as well as being roofless, AFAIK, none of the kits have parapet walls or intact floors (though they do come with some floor supports), I cut down some walls to make the parapets on the side and atop the tower and then used some of the top sections I cut away to make a 3/4 height floor on the top of the tower.  Still it's a nice flexible kit and I highly recommend it.

The best bargain I can think of is porcelain christmas buildings, especially Dickensian versions. There's alot of them in reasale shops right now.  I just wash or dip them and then paint and then flock over the snow with a mossy or leafy foliage or ground cover/ballast. Here's my church.  I've seen similar example at Goodwill for $5-7, though they are often on sale heavily discounted after (sometimes even before) Christmas.

This one also has 2 plastic warhammer castle doors, but the existing door was good enough as is if I'd painted it. I just liked this look better. Some have a hole in the back for a light but it's not hard to cover with a pre-made or scracthbuilt door.
Best of luck with your search.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 04:07:40 AM by eilif »

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2015, 08:20:58 AM »
What material is that church made from?

That's a solid lump of resin. It's one of the ex-PMC Games models, now sold by Caliver Books. I've got several of these buildings (most people have, because they originally used to sell them ludicrously cheap - for pre-painted resin - and in huge quantities, on eBay). They are pretty basic but perfectly serviceable on the tabletop. Some are solid. Some have space inside.

Offline Philhelm

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2015, 02:40:05 AM »
The small pegasus kit is intact (not ruined) and has sloped walls, but you do have to build your own roof. I made a big cathedral from two and a half kits, but of course it's easy to make a nice compact  church as well.

Unfortunately as well as being roofless, AFAIK, none of the kits have parapet walls or intact floors (though they do come with some floor supports), I cut down some walls to make the parapets on the side and atop the tower and then used some of the top sections I cut away to make a 3/4 height floor on the top of the tower.  Still it's a nice flexible kit and I highly recommend it.

Which kits did you use to build that cathedral?  Or did you use multiples of the same kit?

Offline Philhelm

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2015, 03:34:23 PM »
Personally, I'd go Grand Manner every time- there's just no competition IMHO:

Church:

http://www.grandmanner.co.uk/Stone_built_Medieval_Church--product--589.html

The church is indeed impressive.  Do you know what its base dimensions are?  Is the graveyard a part of the actual model, or is that just an accessory used for the photo?