Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 09:15:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Space 1889 as PDFs  (Read 3146 times)

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
Space 1889 as PDFs
« on: November 27, 2008, 09:29:38 AM »
For those who don't know, the full range [I believe] of Space 1889 books are now available as PDFs here:

http://www.rpgnow.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=2551&SRC=wishbook

Soldier's Companion is especially attractive at only £7.81 and is a very good set of rules for both VSF and "straight" Victorian gaming, but all are very reasonably priced.

I already have Space 1889, Soldier's Companion and Ironclad and Ether Flyers as proper books, but I want them all and now it's actually feasible to get them :D

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Space 1889 as PDFs
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2008, 10:32:46 AM »
I prefer the printed editions, since I can not print it to look like a printed book, but for price of 4-10 euros it is nice, to try!

At least for the nice drawings!
argsilverson

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2008, 10:40:25 AM »
Yeah, I have a bunch of PDF's and while it's nice to have them, I'd rather have books. It's okay in the US where you can get them printed and bound in places like Staples, but in the UK that's really difficult to get done.
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline answer_is_42

• Mastermind
  • Mostly Harmless.
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2008, 10:42:03 AM »
Hmm...interesting stuff.
What're the rules like? Anybody use them?

I may consider these...
I told you so. You damned fools.
 - H.G. Wells

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2008, 11:17:27 AM »
I'd also rather have the books, as they are so much nicer to sit and read through,  but they are dearer and if tea/beer gets tipped over them more hassle to replace. PDFs are great for gaming, as you can print out what you need and either laminate or reprint once ruined. For multi-player games with rookie players, you can print out multiple copies of what they need to play.

Also, the "Conklin’s Atlas of the Worlds" and such like are best in PDF, as you can print out as many maps as you need - especially if you have access to an A3 printer and can enlarge them. Also, If you have the facility to edit PDFs, you can produce your own playsheets, which are often missing from sets of rules  ???

Like everything, each has it's place and uses and I'll continue to use both. Indeed for some favourite rules, I do have both versions - one to treasure and one to play with  :).

Offline Ruarigh

• Librarian
    • The Ooh Shiny Complex
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2008, 11:27:41 AM »
While I understand that most people prefer print books, I really like the pdfs. My preference is for A5 rulebooks because they are easier to handle and take up less space on the table so printing my own rulebooks allows me to do that. I bought a cheap comb binding machine and a cheap laminator for £10 each at Wilkos and I reckon I have had more than good value from them both with all the pdf rules I have printed out and bound up for myself. Sure the cost of paper and ink is fairly high and my final saving may not be as great as it could be but the convenience is well worth it. The other advantage to pdf rules is that you can stick loads of them on your laptop / palmtop and take more of them with you than you could normally easily do. You can search the rules for specific text easily and quickly, which is great for gaming, too.
The greatest revenge you can have on a man that steals your wife is to let him keep her.