Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:23:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Favourite science fiction Aliens.  (Read 10955 times)

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
Favourite science fiction Aliens.
« on: December 05, 2015, 03:57:57 AM »
Hi all, I've just got my son into playing some games of AE bounty and am wanting to expand my sci-fi alien range (plenty of humans out there already).
What are some of your favourite Sci-fi alien miniatures?
I'm wanting ideas of what to get next. The ranges don't need to be comprehensive, just a mini here or there is fine.
My first thoughts are the Kryomek aliens. Fairly cheap. Still available. Unlike many alien creatures out there, which I think is a bonus.
I also like the Warlord games range for Antares with the Ghar, Algoryn and Boromites. Anything to add, please do.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
Re: Favourite science fiction Aliens.
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2015, 05:32:32 AM »
Give zombie smith a look. Lots of interesting and strange critters and aliens on there site.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2015, 11:23:21 AM »
I really like the Spugs from Spriggan: http://www.satanico.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Matakishi used Irregular Miniatures Spice Lice in his Saucer people project, very effective en masse:

http://www.matakishi.com/saucerpeople.htm

EDIT: I can't believe I forgot Daleks. Doctor Who Adventures magazine occasionally give away plastic iDaleks that are nicely scaled to 28mm. A few LAFers have done impressive armies with these (Germy's springs to mind). They're cheap as chips and obviously you don't have to be Who fan to make use of them.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 11:54:50 AM by Onebigriver »
Waiter, my soup is giggling.

Offline Overrevdsquat

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2015, 02:13:22 PM »

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2015, 06:29:36 PM »
So many ideas. The spugs are cool. Cheap too. I've been meaning to get some stuff from CP for some time too. Then I remembered ramshackle games and the have some nice Alien type things too.

Offline Hatemonger

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2015, 01:49:07 AM »
Do you want more unusual or more mundane? I think it's safe to say "grays" have reached the point of trope or staple by now, depending on your view. Lots of manufacturers make some version of them, including Reaper Bones. Three or four packs, enough to make a whole gang/warband/landing party for 10-15 bucks.

Speaking of Bones, they also do some kind of squid - head aliens. Bathalians? I don't have any of these, but they have some big snake bodied ones, and some more human sized biped ones with guns. They look like they could work as a Cthulu themed race too.

Other staples are the bug/hive mind race, the super advanced race, the robot race. What sorts are you trying to cover? Is this like Warhammer where you want whole species to fight each other? Or is this more of a Star Wars type thing, where you just want to fill up the bar with an eclectic mix of odd space men?

- H8

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2015, 01:55:55 AM »
I'm mostly wanting to know what aliens other people have and see what I like. But you kind of hit the nail on the head with the Star Wars idea. Bathalians, thanks for that.

Offline Whitwort Stormbringer

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2015, 05:12:20 AM »
If you like the look of the official AE Bounty miniatures, then I'd seek out more of PF's sci-fi sculpts.

Zombiesmith was mentioned, and for AE Bounty in particular I'd point you to their A7D12 range.

CP has his Alien Federation minis, which give you tons of building options to create different alien races that look like the belong to the same squad.

From Mantic, I've always thought that the Deadzone Rebels look the part for AE Bounty, and maybe some of the Dreadball teams with weapons added.  Heck, there are even the Mars Attacks minis, if you like.  The Tiger Corps looks pretty cool.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2015, 06:04:24 AM »
Mantic Rebs, great idea!

Offline Testudo Maximus

• Assistant
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2015, 07:58:50 AM »
I agree with Kroot and the Tau from GW , if you can get them cheap enough from Ebay. Very easy to convert to whatever purpose you have in mind . I also made a few of the very old Lizardmen ( single pose ones ) holding some Kroot rifles . Some of the 1st edition Night Goblins holding sci fi rifles look convincing also . I was just wasting some time playing around with allot of old GW plastics , very easy to swap some heads and limbs around various of the races to ge tunique looking characters and all easy to purchase small amounts on Ebay . cheers Tom

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2015, 08:23:46 AM »
Of all that have been mentioned I agree on the Kroot. They have been converted so many ways for so many genres thus far.
And mentioning the Stars Wars canTina scene above, don't forget SWISS figs. Be they from WotC or IA. Even the older WEG line.

Grimm

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2015, 09:39:24 AM »
Hasslefree have some weird & wonderful aliens: http://hfminis.co.uk/shop?category=sci%252dfi-%26%0D%0Aweird-war~sci%252dfi-aliens

I like the Kiergi, although they seemed to have disappeared for now.

Offline JoeRugby

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2015, 09:54:35 AM »
Hasslefree have some weird & wonderful aliens: http://hfminis.co.uk/shop?category=sci%252dfi-%26%0D%0Aweird-war~sci%252dfi-aliens

I like the Kiergi, although they seemed to have disappeared for now.

I think their at macrocosm now
http://www.macrocosm.co.uk/product/malignancy-tick-monsters-brood/

Offline bandit86

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2015, 03:00:10 PM »
Zombie smith as many more aliens than just Quar (Quar are my first love) But they have lots that are right on par ith AE bounty
Barbarella: What's that screaming? A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming...
http://bandit86.blogspot.com/

Offline supervike

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • supervike's stuff
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2015, 03:18:07 PM »
I was always partial to the Hydrissians from the old Alpha Forge LIne.

I'm not sure who ended up with them or if they are still available though.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 05:05:55 PM by supervike »