Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 06:22:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690732
  • Total Topics: 118344
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 'ELP! 'ELP!  (Read 5373 times)

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
'ELP! 'ELP!
« on: December 08, 2015, 11:28:21 PM »
Any of the Brethren know wot scale and make these little chaps are?

:?  ??? :?

"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline westwaller

• Mad Scientist
Re: 'ELP! 'ELP!
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2015, 01:09:42 AM »
They look like old citadel sculpts to me...Wargames foundry sells them now, if they are...

Offline Digitarii

• Scientist
  • I don't suffer from insanity. I ENJOY it!
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2015, 01:10:02 AM »
Some of those are Foundry models, from the Original Perry 1066 (AND ALL THAT): VIKINGS, NORMANS AND ANGLO SAXONS range:

http://www.wargamesfoundry.com/dark-age/vikings-normans-anglo-saxons

Pay particular attention to the "Armoured Normans or Anglo Saxons" collections.
"My claim is based on rational thought and the fact that I've got more than enough charges in my Tesla Cannon to leave nothing but your twitching, smoldering digits!" - Nelson, Full Frontal Nerdity

Gold foil, diamond-etched, creme filled, limited-edition, collector's item number one anger issues

Offline westwaller

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2015, 01:14:16 AM »
Yeah that's them... There's some good poses there.

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2015, 07:56:19 AM »
:) That's the little bleeders, thanks chaps.  :)

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2015, 10:29:25 PM »
Those are very nice minis. I will have to take a closer look at them on the foundry site.
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2015, 06:13:29 PM »
On the chest of some of them Normans is a leather square type thingy...
to my simple mind is it extra chainmail to protect the heart/chest area?

???

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2015, 06:39:56 PM »
Think it just depicts a detail shown on the Bayeux Tapestry, generally assumed to be some kind of chest flap / panel to cover up the opening of the hauberk or byrnie.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2015, 11:12:50 PM »
Think it just depicts a detail shown on the Bayeux Tapestry, generally assumed to be some kind of chest flap / panel to cover up the opening of the hauberk or byrnie.

Likely to be a covering for most of the face not a reinforcement of the armour. Mail was designed to be used on the move so that a slash would glide across the surface. It makes no sense to me to have a mail reinforcement as it would be quite indeffective against a stabbing blow.

Darrell.

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2015, 11:27:55 PM »
Indeed is an extra protection for part of the throat and face.
And the miniatures (as mentioned previously) are all foundry. :)

Sometimes parts of the mail are reinforced with leather inside because they would be in direct contact with the skin.

P.s. the two standard bearers are conversions. :D
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 11:29:41 PM by rumacara »

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2015, 11:06:02 AM »
Thought they were R, larger spears to get the flags on? Lovely figures I'm delighted with 'em, I'm going to add a few Foundry archers to them, as these lads will be making a 'Song of Blades and Heroes'!

:-*

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2015, 02:11:38 PM »
I love those old Foundry Saxons, Norse and Normans.... still great miiatures  8)

Darrell.

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2015, 08:17:37 PM »
Nobody knows (like many things in history and archaeology) what the square panel on the hauberk is - the two main contender theories are:

1) a square of extra chain and padding to double the thickness of the chest armour in the area where there may have been a slit to get the head through (and the chest is an area vulnerable to stabbing rather than being slashed). Most contemporary pictures show the square patch worn on the chest and surrounded by a leather(?) strip with round fasteners(?). Some eastern armour would feature an extra layer over a mail coat in the form of either a lamellar or scale 'vest' to show that the chest was indeed a vulnerable spot that need extra protection

2) a flap to pull up and cover the face. There are some 10th/11th century helmets that have been preserved with nasal and cheek 'hooks' to allow for a face-veil of armour to be hung from, but the contemporary pictures do not portray it like that. Also it would severely limit movement of the head. That said, it would also protect the wearer from slashes to the throat

Neither theory is conclusive, so use whichever theory you like or ignore both and use any other conjecture that springs to mind.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2015, 11:04:01 AM »
Nobody knows (like many things in history and archaeology) what the square panel on the hauberk is - the two main contender theories are:

1) a square of extra chain and padding to double the thickness of the chest armour in the area where there may have been a slit to get the head through (and the chest is an area vulnerable to stabbing rather than being slashed). Most contemporary pictures show the square patch worn on the chest and surrounded by a leather(?) strip with round fasteners(?). Some eastern armour would feature an extra layer over a mail coat in the form of either a lamellar or scale 'vest' to show that the chest was indeed a vulnerable spot that need extra protection

2) a flap to pull up and cover the face. There are some 10th/11th century helmets that have been preserved with nasal and cheek 'hooks' to allow for a face-veil of armour to be hung from, but the contemporary pictures do not portray it like that. Also it would severely limit movement of the head. That said, it would also protect the wearer from slashes to the throat

Neither theory is conclusive, so use whichever theory you like or ignore both and use any other conjecture that springs to mind.

But if you apply common sense then it's certainly and extension of the aventail IMHO. At least most serious modern armourers make their armours tin this way. A good sword, spear etc would pierce two layers of mail on the chest (as proved in many tests- I know modern tests are not conclusive evidence) so I ust see this as not viable. I will repeat what I said earlier, mail was a great protection from slashes for a moving target, it is not at all good for a solid thrust or an bodkin point. Obviously a gambeson was worn under the mail and that may have offered more protection against such attacks than the actual mail!

I guess that it will always be a point of conjecture.

Darrell.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2015, 11:16:42 AM »

I guess that it will always be a point of conjecture.

I guess so  :)
For me, knowing how a lot of pre-industrial-era clothing was constructed, the most logical explanation remains that the 'panel' is simply a flap to cover up the throat opening of the hauberk - just like the button up breech-flap on a pair of C18th / C19th trousers or breeches.

Or perhaps that's just the frame where they used to put their race numbers?  ;)