Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 05:27:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690590
  • Total Topics: 118339
  • Online Today: 840
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: November in Frostheim  (Read 20213 times)

Offline November

• Scientist
    • November in Frostheim
November in Frostheim
« on: December 11, 2015, 11:06:33 PM »
I'm November, and I'm a bit terrain-o-holic. I returned to the hobby after more than 10 years, and started building my own terrain for the first time. Results brought me - among other things - my own little Mordheim.

Now very interested in Frostgrave, I'm certainly looking forward to putting this already ready Mordheim terrain into use. The lack of frost and ice bothers my eye, though. Just adding snow into the city is not an option either, as the color palette used is not wintry at all.

I'm still likely to use this Mordheim terrain for Frostgrave when bigger scenarios are needed. For smaller ones, I'm currently working with a little bit smaller outdoors board with fewer ruins - and this one frosty to the boot. I also have a pile of different wizards and apprentices to be painted, as well as some necessary monsters.

Looking forward to posting pictures of the progress of the new stuffs later. As for now, here's a little peek into the not-so-frosty part of my Frostheim:

A couple buildings here are copied by eye-measure from the work of another builder. Most are of my own design. It's all self-made, no kits or pieces by any manufactures used (except for a few GW bits here and there). Just good ol' foamboard over hardboard + some balsa wood, sand, glue and whatnot. If you want to see some building better, just ask. Apologies for the quality. Phone camera.

If you hunger to add things to the core rules of Frostgrave, make sure you also check out my Optional Rules and Soldier Experience for Frostgrave.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 07:32:24 PM by November »

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
Re: November in Frostheim
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 11:20:30 PM »
That is impressive!

Can I pick your brain as to how you modelled all those different types of stonework?
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline Helznicht

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 11:28:58 PM »
Very cool.   :-*

Offline Mr Vampire

• Bookworm
  • May or may not be wearing pants.
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2015, 04:07:26 AM »
Wonderful scenery. Really like how there's so much with the different height levels.

Online MaleGriffin

• Mastermind
  • Don't bother running.... You'll just die tired....
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2015, 04:13:55 AM »
Amazing work! :o

I don't have artist's eye, but I think this terrain is awesome and would be just as good with the addition of some snow.
Hoc quoque transibit
Sanguinem sistit semper

Offline TheMageKing

• Assistant
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2015, 04:39:20 AM »
That looks great. The brickwork must have taken a ton of time, huh?

Offline Awesome Adam

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2015, 09:33:10 AM »
Great looking terrain. I look forward to seeing what you come up with next.

Offline November

• Scientist
    • November in Frostheim
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2015, 12:38:32 PM »
Thanks, everyone!

Levels were a high priority as I built this terrain. Currently, it can rise up to 24" from the tabletop, if the highest building is placed atop the big platform.

And stonework... yeah. That's slow. I think the average progress of this city was about 1-4 weeks per building or square.

Offline Daniel36

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2015, 02:56:13 PM »
Where have I seen that terrain before? I wonder... :)
Welcome to the Frostgrave forum!!

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
    • http://modhails-meanderings.blogspot.com/
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2015, 03:10:55 PM »
I had the same feeling...
Still looking very good, regardless of venue. Welcome and enjoy your stay at the LAF!

Offline Parkaboy

• Bookworm
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2015, 05:31:19 PM »
Excellent work. If you do not mind, November, I have some questions.

You mentioned using foam core and hard board? What hard board? I gather you glue the foam core to the harder material them strip the first layer of paper from the foam core. After that, you sculpt the stone, yes?

The larger structure, is that extruded polystrene or insulation foam or what?

Awesome stuff!

Offline November

• Scientist
    • November in Frostheim
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2015, 11:20:32 AM »
Again, thanks for the all kind comments, and handwave to the familiar faces!

Parkaboy: The basic building material is 5mm foamcore, with and without the top layer. However, almost all carved stonework is done over 5mm foamboard instead, which is easier to carve than peeled foamcore.

Bigger platform and wall are not actually thick blocks of polystyrene, despite most would guess that. They are hollow foamcore structures, but reinforced with enough stuff to make them almost sturdy enough to sit on. I have a pile of books resting over that said elevation in my bookshelf now. Nobody usually guesses that it's actually hollow, because it looks solid and massive.

I have used 20-50mm foamboard in some structures, but mostly just that 5mm foamboard and 5mm foamcore.

Base board is pretty standard-issue hardboard, 3mm I think. It's there to give some extra weight to the pieces, which is really useful to keep the modular together on tabletop. It gives the pieces a nice, solid feel of foundation, instead of just free-flapping pieces of light material.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 11:25:56 AM by November »

Offline Nooblord

• Librarian
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2015, 08:01:11 PM »
I complimented you on your excellent terrain on a different forum. Good to see you have come over to the dark (or frosty) side  :)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 08:44:20 PM by Nooblord »

Offline November

• Scientist
    • November in Frostheim
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2015, 06:18:30 PM »
As I can finally roll some stuff off my workbench, here's some new pictures for you to accompany the old.

Here you have the first quarter of the outdoors board. This one I made months ago, not even Frostgrave in mind back then.

It's 40x40 cm board. With 3 others, it will neatly fill my coffee table for a nice, home-sized Frostgrave outdoors terrain.

I just finished the second part of the board, which, unsurprisingly, looks almost the same.

It has details.

And stuff can be put on it.

If someone is interested in more blabber of how they were made, I have some work-in-progerss pictures and tips/details to share, too.

Next focusing on some structures to put on them. Obviously, this board will not be as full as the Mordheim part. Idea is that this is the outskirts of the actual city of Felstad. Graveyards, mausoleums, fences, ruined border towers, things like that, among trees, rocks and cliffs. Not tight-packed streets. If I need that, I use my Mordheim you've already seen.

Offline Daniel36

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2015, 06:43:48 PM »
Gorgeous!! Absolutely gorgeous!!