Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 02:30:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: November in Frostheim  (Read 20207 times)

Offline Harry

• Scientist
Re: November in Frostheim
« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2016, 10:05:14 PM »
All kinds of cool in this thread. Great stuff.

Offline Lamilvelo

• Bookworm
« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2016, 10:09:30 PM »
Smaller the squares, more variation you can create (by setting the table differently) and it's usually easier to store. But remember that smaller (and lighter) the squares are, more easier they move during play. Bigger ones make more stabile gaming boards.

If you intend to make 1ft x 1ft sized squares, I recommend applying extra weight somehow. If you carve on foam, use hardboard base or something else to give them a bit weight and structure. With 4 ft x 4 ft boards or bigger, this isn't really necessary.

Sorry if I'm derailing your thread. I was thinking of using MDF boards and putting a basic frost/snow type layer on top.  I was going to keep the building separate at first and just place them around the board if that makes sense. 

Offline November

• Scientist
    • November in Frostheim
« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2016, 10:21:01 AM »
If you have the buildings separate, I would consider making the tiles larger, at least 2ft x 2ft. MDF makes a good base, but has the tendency to warp a bit when exposed to wet paint or glue. Keep your tiles under pressure overnight or longer after gluing/painting.

Offline Lamilvelo

• Bookworm
« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2016, 05:47:34 PM »
Thanks for the tips! I'm still torn between a mat or creating boards. Really like your setup

Offline November

• Scientist
    • November in Frostheim
« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2016, 11:14:39 AM »
Not much new stuffzies, but the red warband is growing with a knight and a couple thugs/thives/treasure hunters. I like how this warband is starting to get a bit D&D adventuring group vibe.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 11:16:25 AM by November »

Offline November

• Scientist
    • November in Frostheim
« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2016, 09:47:33 AM »

Ground level of my wizard's tower. Still lacks some finishing touches, like stairs and possible snow effect.

Offline Jockjay

• Librarian
  • 'reet.
« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2016, 10:13:16 AM »
where do you store all this stuff!!!??? Im jealous just imagining your man cave.....Great terrain.

Offline CthulhuPunk

• Librarian
« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2016, 11:55:59 AM »
Really liking your spell effect templates, they look perfect. Been playing around with using acetate to overlay the area but your more 3D approach is definately better!
Follow more witterings on Twitter: @CthulhuPunk

Offline November

• Scientist
    • November in Frostheim
« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2016, 03:54:10 PM »
where do you store all this stuff!!!???

This is something I ask myself frequently...

Offline Bloodbeard

• Librarian
  • Dad, Teacher, Hobbyist
    • Bloodbeard's Garage
« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2016, 04:35:25 PM »
Very nice blog you have going here. The Mordheim table on the first page is amazing. And a great inspiration. I just finished my first 1'x1' modul for my Frostgrave games. And the cobblestone work you've done is awesome.

I jsut made all the stones in the ground random. But the different circles and symetrics you've made adds a lot. Gonna steal that idea.

Offline joe5mc

• Mastermind
    • The Renaissance Troll
« Reply #55 on: April 19, 2016, 05:29:11 PM »
I like the look of that wizard tower!

Offline November

• Scientist
    • November in Frostheim
« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2016, 12:55:52 AM »
Very nice blog you have going here. The Mordheim table on the first page is amazing. And a great inspiration. I just finished my first 1'x1' modul for my Frostgrave games. And the cobblestone work you've done is awesome.

I jsut made all the stones in the ground random. But the different circles and symetrics you've made adds a lot. Gonna steal that idea.

Thank you. I've also found it inspiring and worthwhile to look around at any European old towns or older urban areas with cobbled or paved streets. The simple patterns that are used often work just as well at miniature level. Mimicing them gives your streets character and realism fairly easily.

Offline November

• Scientist
    • November in Frostheim
« Reply #57 on: November 05, 2016, 08:11:17 AM »
I recently made a little sewer set for custom scenarios underground.

Idea is that both warbands carry their own limited light source, and see only their close surroundings. Therefore, these about 10 pieces are enough to make limitless-sized sewer dungeons for a scenario where the warbands adventure in a randomly changing maze.

They're mostly 4x4" squares, some gates, one larger objective room where the sewer pipe has been broken and enters a chamber above.

It's quite compact little modular that I made pretty quickly. You can see some mismatch in the linking, because I just rolled with it and didn't take time with exact measurements. It turned out nice enough.

Foam, cardboard, glue, some balsa wood and toothpicks.  :D

Offline November

• Scientist
    • November in Frostheim
« Reply #58 on: May 02, 2017, 08:13:45 PM »
Some new terrain for the Frostheim - a fortified guardhouse.

Offline horridperson

• Mad Scientist
  • Doing the Will of The Horned Cat
    • Void Spaces
« Reply #59 on: May 04, 2017, 01:07:57 AM »
Very cool log!  The buildings and terrain are incredibly characterful and fun to look at.  You have an amazing city to explore.