Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:15:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689736
  • Total Topics: 118291
  • Online Today: 821
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Worst game ever - a warning  (Read 11026 times)

Offline darquebus

• Librarian
  • So evil, he'll steal teddy bears from kids
Worst game ever - a warning
« on: November 29, 2008, 12:43:00 AM »
I know I should stick to the games people play here on this forum, where there is creativity, great painting and good ideas and I know this is probably not ok to write this...but I had the worst "wargaming experience" ever last night and I just need to express my utter surprise
 :'(
I gave the new 40k game a try. I know it has been discussed before here but I was sooo surprised to find this game does not work at all...

I used the army builder to design a "legal" army with tanks and troops in armour and thought this should just give me a fun little game. Just to find out that I could not do any damage to the army of my opponent who had fart boys with wanker guns that could shoot round corners...and tons of "I got some special rule here" stuff that makes your guys useless - for the same points ??? He was not cheating the "game" is just totally unbalanced.

So let this be a warning to all of you - even if you think "hm I might give it a try" DONT DO IT!!!
 ;)

So I'll go back to pulp, colonial and WW2

Ex-Kieler in Down Under

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
Re: Worst game ever - a warning
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 12:47:13 AM »
Preaching to the converted here  lol

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 01:00:03 AM »
40k/WFB are pretty much the sort of games where you need to follow every development and add-on to keep on top. Sad to say, just picking a bog-standard balanced force just isn't enough.

I also expect you were shafted by someone 'in the know'  ;)

I'm not normally a GW basher, but I've grown out of both those games, and then some.

Offline Darkoath

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 01:32:32 AM »
I used to play both myself but not anymore... there are much better rules and miniatures out there...  My favorites seem to the their skirmish game rules like Necromunda, Mordheim, and Gorkamorka... you know the games that GW no longer supports! :D

Also I much prefer Warmaster to Warhammer FB too... and the game actually is very
balanced and fun! lol

Offline darquebus

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2008, 01:58:31 AM »
well I played against an experienced player and I did not expect to win   ;)
That happens with every new game you play I think. I do not expect to win any game I haven't played before, you got to learn a few things.
But here it was not my fault, the rules stated I could not wound my opponent even though I had the same point value....I mean... ??? ???
I was so surprised that this game is sooo obviously designed to sell miniatures and has sooo extremely unbalanced rules and that they still sell this shit
I expected it not to be a "serious" game but to be at least fun or entertaining but there was just nothing... :-X
The basic rules are not used every single miniature has 3 pages of special rules...what is the point here?

Ok so back to something more realistic, where Doug Tyler the fights a T.Rex to protect the Damsel in Distress

At least there are some games around, even though unrealistic they are great fun ;)

Offline wolfgangbrooks

• Mad Scientist
    • http://www.recreationalconflict.com
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2008, 02:53:58 AM »
As the lone voice of reason here, as everywhere. :) I suggest it was your opponent who played you for a sucker, not the rules. 40k has alot of special rules, but none of that rings a bell.
Recreational Conflict: www.recreationalconflict.com

Jibbery style oinkery which don't make no damn sense.

Offline darquebus

• Librarian

Offline winterborn

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2008, 04:11:55 AM »
I wanted to prove a point once and created a fully legal army that was at the same time completely broken. In 18 games against experienced players, I suffered one minor defeat. Some of my battles were over by the halfway point. And Im not the greatest gamer, I do use tactics and combined arms, but an Iron Warriors Army of Doom is just about unbeatable. This was why I got out of 40k.
And in the fury of this darkest hour
We will be the light
You've asked me for my sacrifice
And I am Winter born

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2008, 07:55:43 AM »
...and it is getting even better

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod730814&utm_source=neissue6legacy&utm_medium=email&utm_term=realm%2Bof%2Bbattle&utm_content=textlinkheader&utm_campaign=NE%2BIssue%2B6%2BLegacy

AUD$450  wtf?     

for 6 sheets of plastic, these guys can't be serious

Yes, the price in the UK jumped from £100 T0 £150, unpainted and with the basing kit is around £200.  You could buy a lot of painted/ready made scenery for that.......  6xTSS 2x2 boards would cost you £39, leaving £160 for different boards and hills.........
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2008, 08:43:36 AM »
I think that your experience is a real shame. When you want a quick fun game and try something new for you and it's bad is just not good.

I have a lot of fond memories of playing Warhammer 40k and fantasy battle but one or two incarnations ago.

As for the warboards the pricing is high for something you can do yourself, I couldn't afford that kind of money  o_o

cool looking lost worlds game though

dodge

Offline Poliorketes

• King of the Congo
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Never look back
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2008, 01:35:24 PM »
I wanted to prove a point once and created a fully legal army that was at the same time completely broken. In 18 games against experienced players, I suffered one minor defeat. Some of my battles were over by the halfway point. And Im not the greatest gamer, I do use tactics and combined arms, but an Iron Warriors Army of Doom is just about unbeatable. This was why I got out of 40k.

Oh yes. Last time I played 40k was in 3rd Edition, and I played a fully mechanised White Scars Army, one of the worst choices you could do. I remember playing against Iron Warriors and being very proud of having a model remaining after turn 4. ONE Model.

Can't comment on the new 40K Edition, but WHFB is still a great game with lots of tactical possibilities. The only problem is that vampires, demons and dark elves are completely imbalanced in comparison with half of the armies available.
If you come for the king, you better not miss (Omar)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2008, 01:50:14 PM »
I still think you could have an enjoyable game if you played with like-minded people, rather than those geared up for tournament-style play. Just because that is what GW want you to do, you don't have to obey them. Once you're in "their" hobby, it doesn't mean they own your souls.

I bet if given the rules and some figures, our gaming gang could have fun with them. I'd design a (hopefully) interesting scenario and play it with the aim of having fun, rather than messing about with an abacus and fretting over points values, victory points and whatnot. That's how we play all our games, historical, sci-fi, pulp or whatever.

It's the people (and their attitude) that make gaming fun.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline meninobesta

• Mad Scientist
  • Bastard Saint, Scorn of the Earth
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2008, 01:54:49 PM »
In my opinion every game is a good game, it all depends on you or your opponent!
Usually if one goes to battle with a very competitive mindset it can ruin an afternoon... and this can be applied to any game setting or rules!

although I'm not a GW fan I think their basic rules mechanism are very simple and intuitive, the rest should be up to the players

I remember that I even enjoyed a game of DBM (which appears do be a very dull game when you look at the tournaments) due to the spirit of the players

[Edit] it appears the Plynkes and his 500 points "fast-posting English writing skill" has beaten me by a couple of seconds  :D
« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 01:57:13 PM by meninobesta »
Cheers,
Pedro

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2008, 02:14:15 PM »
It's not my fault if you haven't properly read through the Plynkes codex.  :)

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2008, 02:21:33 PM »
I´d agree that it is most probably due to an opponent. An experienced opponent who picks a competitive list against a newcomer is one of the worst things to happen to said newcomers.

I recently played the new 40k rules, being a "veteran" (read, losing games since 1996 lol), against my brother, who´s in it for about as long as myself. We had a blast of a time, since the new rules really improved the gameplay compared to the older version. Nonetheless, since older rulebooks ("codices") are still geared to the previous rules, I am sure there will be a lot of problems.

You should explicitly look for a fun game with decent armies, chosen with a certain mindset of an "all-round army". I´m currently re-organising my Space Marines on said tenet and it works out for good fun.

Unfortunately, since (as is a case with all tabletop games) a lot of the fun depends on the players, the sheer number of GW anorak fanboys and rules lawyers who have cropped up over the last decade or so is a definitive problem.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 09:29:41 PM by Westfalia Chris »